fisher-impulse-aq-extended-rod-length.jpg
Fisher Impulse AQ stock, fully extended, 48.5" to elbow bolt, 38.5" from grip to coil

fisher-impulse-aq-extra-extended-rod-length.jpg
Standard Fisher middle rod added, 52" to elbow from coil, 42" from grip to coil

As mentioned in this thread detailing the Impulse AQ rod measurements, I find the two piece rod assembly too short for my liking. I added a standard Fisher middle rod section. However, adding the middle section made the AQ longer than I prefer. Actually it is fine, but there is zero ability to make it shorter as I am set comfortable at the shortest extension. There are times I might want it shorter. It also cannot adjust out full length anyway due to the cable not being that long. So I ran it out as far as the cable would go, and determined that cutting 2.5" off the lower rod would give me maximum extension, while also allowing me to shorten the rod up to a perfect position for me.

I left the detector assembled and used the middle section rod holes as a guide/template to drill a new hole for the rod detent pin. Then I cut the rod off by 2.5" so the lower rod is now 26" in length, and re-positioned the pin. This allowed me to set the lower rod three holes from the shortest middle rod setting, in theory leaving six more longer adjustments if the cable would go that long. You can see the pin positioning in the middle rod in the photo below.

Long story short, at that setting the AQ is exactly the same length as my Equinox at maximum length, with 42" from coil to hand grip, which is where I normally run the Equinox. I can adjust the AQ a couple settings both longer and shorter with no problem.

Somebody shorter than I am would want to cut the lower rod down even more. If you wanted it to stow better, cutting it down to more like 20" would allow it to go to the full length adjustment and then also to the shortest setting. I figure I can always cut more off later if need be but I can't put any back so will leave it here for now. Even so, I am committed as without the middle section it really is too short for me now.

If any of that is confusing, let me know your specific question, and I will try and make it clearer.

fisher-impulse-aq-limited-custom-rod.jpg

That middle rod is not easy to find for something used on so many First Texas (Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Teknetics) detectors. Black, gold, and gray versions are made.

I got my spare at Kellyco for $9.99 and I had a $5 off coupon so half off, but with shipping ended up being $12 delivered.

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/middle-rod-only-current-models

fisher-metal-detector-middle-rod-section.jpg

• Like 3

I think 3 piece rods cause some wobble like my original 3 piece rod on the sea hunter that wobble.I'm sue it will become common to use carbon fiber one piece or two as we use these days on other detectors 

• Like 2

One of the good alternatives for maintaining a 2-piece construction for a Fisher  IMPULSE AQ  for people who have a higher height ... is to use a longer bottom rod.

Thus, it maintains the planned strength and durability of this construction of the Impulse AQ detector.

...modified TEK.G2 from a 2-piece construction with long bottom carbon rods...

181198898_maj9iphone5S2019047_DxO.jpg.fa85ae8b41907531c7710d7446398b8b.jpg

• Like 1

So basically nobody read my post on the other thread? Let me know when you guys find a replacement rod assembly  or longer version of the unique yoke style lower rod that works. The AQ wiring routes through the handle and to the power and headphone outlet at the end of the rod. It is not a matter of just swapping the handle to a different rod, and nobody makes a compatible lower rod that is longer. No other reasonably easy longer rod options exist at this time other than what I have described.

fisher-impulse-aq-lower-rod-length.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder if someone who does 3D printing can print just the bottom "spur" design that can be bolted to another manufacturers rod? That way you can find the longest other brand rod and print the lower coil mount section?

13 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I wonder if someone who does 3D printing can print just the bottom "spur" design that can be bolted to another manufacturers rod? That way you can find the longest other brand rod and print the lower coil mount section?

I’m sure somebody could. Or I could have cut the lower rod and added an external sleeve to make it longer. At some point that also will introduce wobble but at this time it’s the easiest way to get a longer lower rod. In my case I would need a 30” total length and so would have to add a 2.5” sleeve.

Mr. Steve ... are you proposing ...... that Fisher make a replacement long-shaft lower shaft ... as an accessory ?.. It's clear to us that the U-shaped coil holder is specifically..and only the manufacturer can solve this thing...

First Texas is aware of all this. It was one of the reasons for doing a limited release of the AQ - to collect feedback. That said, I do not hold my breath waiting on anything from detector companies, especially accessories. I’m still waiting for a 6x10 coil for my Equinox almost three years later. :sad: More to the point, I’m still trying to get a part number and price for the existing 28” lower rod so I can get another one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’m sure somebody could. Or I could have cut the lower rod and added an external sleeve to make it longer. At some point that also will introduce wobble but at this time it’s the easiest way to get a longer lower rod. In my case I would need a 30” total length and so would have to add a 2.5” sleeve.

I was figuring that it would take longer for Fisher to make one since they already had their hands full.  If the AQ takes off in full production, someone will make that longer rod or maybe at least the adapter I talked about.  Either way I hope you can get the extra length since it sucks hunting hunched over, even if it's a little.

• Like 1