Well, mine is fine now, and it is very stout, not a bit of wiggle.

10 hours ago, midalake said:

Another one?  Why?  No Yokes please.  

Several reasons. First, water hunting can be rough. A stumble and half the time the detector gets used for support. If this lower rod gets broken nothing I have for spares is going to work, and I hate getting caught short. Second, I think I will cut the one I have down another couple inches, making it totally unusable without the middle rod. A full length spare would allow me to go back to stock configuration, which although shorter than I prefer, is useable for me. Just have to keep it a foot ahead of my feet. Actually better for mask and snorkel work, where my extended version may be too long. And last... for when I get another coil. Swapping coils is an extra pain in the butt with the yoke setup.

• Like 2

I don't know, but I would guess since they have used the same rod for decades on the CZ-20/CZ-21 and 1280X I know where I would place my bets. It's hard to say the rod is "too short" when they sold many thousands of them over the years. But it's also why they are doing things this way - to get feedback. So you never know.

fisher-cz-21-metal-detector.jpg
Fisher CZ-21 metal detector

fisher-1280x-metal-detector.jpg
Fisher 1280X metal detector