This Is The Gear I Use. What Do You Think/ What Do You Use?

I got the 1945 us army shovel from my great grandmother’s third husband. It was given to my dad, and then he gave it to me.

the older bounty hunter tracker I-d 505 detected is from my neighbor, who gave it to me for free. It works great, but I know it isn’t modern or efficient. I don’t have a pinpointer, but I make it work 

I have a us army web belt to hold my shovel and my finds.

this is not exactly My stuff just pictures off google.

let me know what I should improve. Should it upgrade?

what do you use?

F15EAC2D-574F-4336-B700-BC98C8AAF359.jpeg

7340D324-600B-4941-A1E5-D45A33501387.jpeg

4AB40D0E-60B4-4201-9FED-35D064089D81.jpeg

• Like 2

The equipment may be old, but when I get out my old detector it can always find something for me.

Whatever you use to dig with just remember to always try and put everything back the way it looked before.

I bought a cheap sod cutter from a local farm supply for $10 and it has worked well for me. I also have a shovel similar to the one that you have and would not trade it.

Sometimes I have found detectors at the local Goodwill Store for only $20 that actually work, and I always check out estate sales for a bargain also.

What part of the country are you in?

7 minutes ago, 2Valen said:

The equipment may be old, but when I get out my old detector it can always find something for me.

Whatever you use to dig with just remember to always try and put everything back the way it looked before.

I bought a cheap sod cutter from a local farm supply for $10 and it has worked well for me. I also have a shovel similar to the one that you have and would not trade it.

Sometimes I have found detectors at the local Goodwill Store for only $20 that actually work, and I always check out estate sales for a bargain also.

What part of the country are you in?

Hi, I always find a lot with this stuff. I am very good with refilling my holes. I like the quality of the USA made army grade tools. The detector is USA made to. The detector I used before was from the 70s and it didn’t find much(just a collectible now). I like to check those places a lot too! I am in south western Pennsylvania. Thank you!!!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 11:21 PM, TreasureHunter5 said:

I have a us army web belt to hold my shovel and my finds.

I also wear one of those -- I have an original (bought it back in the late 1970's; don't know if it's WWII vintage though) and also a new one I was able to get on Ebay.  For Christmas one year I got my sister a military surplus bayonet with the sheath that has the hooks to attach to this kind of belt.  In some of her area parks the digging rule is "no blade longer than 6 inches nor wider than 1 inch."  I had to file down the tip a bit (maybe half an inch) to get it down to 6 inches.

The "industry standard" is the Lesche hand digger,2013LescheKnifeGallery.jpg.eed8104e5dd03ecb7bdd732c08237dcd.jpg

Not cheap by any means, but I think if someone said "lasts a lifetime" it would be hard to prove them wrong.

It's all about what works for you.  The most expensive equipment in the hands of the wrong person -- that's all that will be in their hands when the day is done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I also wear one of those -- I have an original (bought it back in the late 1970's; don't know if it's WWII vintage though) and also a new one I was able to get on Ebay.  For Christmas one year I got my sister a military surplus bayonet with the sheath that has the hooks to attach to this kind of belt.  In some of her area parks the digging rule is "no blade longer than 6 inches nor wider than 1 inch."  I had to file down the tip a bit (maybe half an inch) to get it down to 6 inches.

The "industry standard" is the Lesche hand digger,2013LescheKnifeGallery.jpg.eed8104e5dd03ecb7bdd732c08237dcd.jpg

Not cheap by any means, but I think if someone said "lasts a lifetime" it would be hard to prove them wrong.

It's all about what works for you.  The most expensive equipment in the hands of the wrong person -- that's all that will be in their hands when the day is done.

I got my belt off eBay for my birthday last year. I believe it to be Vietnam era. I came with all sorts of pouches. A pouch for the shovel, a small ammunition pouch( used as a pouch for finds), a canteen and a compass pouch. My dad got the shovel about 15 years ago. It was dated 1945. I didn’t have a pouch, so when I got the belt it came with one. I might look in to that little shovel you have. I looks like a good back up, and more discrete I public areas. So true what you said at the end.

I have the same detector that I started with way back. They do work but don't go very deep at all. Lot's of new machines out now to take a look at. If your still finding stuff with that ole BH and happy with it then why change? If your in the market for a new machine the big thing is what is your budget?

1 hour ago, kac said:

I have the same detector that I started with way back. They do work but don't go very deep at all. Lot's of new machines out now to take a look at. If your still finding stuff with that ole BH and happy with it then why change? If your in the market for a new machine the big thing is what is your budget?

I am happy with this one but I would like to find a better one as a back up or to try out something a bit newer. A budget isn’t the biggest question because I own a small 4 unit apartment building and collect rent every month. The big question is what would be a good detector to chose? Thank you!!!!!

Garrett has a new machine coming out that is multi frequency and many here use the Equinox 800 which is also multi frequency. The trend is multi frequency machines where multiple frequencies are on all the time vs single selectable frequency or just a sing frequency machine. Really depends on the type of hunting you want to do and the area your in. High iron areas do fair better with higher frequency and multi. Mild soils your options are broader.

• Like 1