Thank You White’s Electronics Of Sweet Home, Oregon

19 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Whites was my first detector in 1972 and my first detector dealership in 1976.

How come you look so young Steve?  Heck, you became a dealer for White's in 1976?  I was just hitting puberty back then listening to "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John and there was the other 2 John guys pretty.  One lived in Denver and the in UK.  

Your pic of Steve Houston is the same face I remember and boy he too was a great detectorist and even nicer guy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

My dad (who is now 96) was also shock to hear what happen to White's. He is in a wheelchair, has bad eyesight and a heart condition, but he keeps on plugging away. We reminisce quite a lot when I visit about nugget hunting, gold mining and detecting in general. He really misses detecting, but talking about our adventures in the past can brighten his day. Here is his first gold he found with a Eagle II with a Jimmy Sierra Goldfoot coil.

131843173_Scan1198(1028x750).thumb.jpg.3e8b98339c25a6f553de9d3cf729cbcf.jpg

Running a high banker with dad.

130065623_Scan100(1000x1370).thumb.jpg.2a1b8b76e03917eacd490684149eecd0.jpg

Thanks again Gerry for sharing your memories!

The Jimmy Sierra Gold Foot and even the Big Foot were some really good coils.

Most importantly Glenn is the time you get to spend with your father and talking about the good old golden days, seeing the pics and thinking back of the happy times.  I sure miss life of the 70's and would take it back in a heartbeat.  Today's folks are in such a rush to get nowhere.  Most of us don't visit our family and or relatives enough (I'm at fault too) and we all want instant gratification.  I know how hard it takes to be successful at finding gold and so does your wife, your dad and you. Sure wish the rest of the world had that kind of patience.

Anyway, Thanks for your story and memory pics.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

How come you look so young Steve?  Heck, you became a dealer for White's in 1976?  I was just hitting puberty back then listening to "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John and there was the other 2 John guys pretty.  One lived in Denver and the in UK.  

Your pic of Steve Houston is the same face I remember and boy he too was a great detectorist and even nicer guy.

My partner and I started our business in our senior year of high school.... I graduated in 1976. White’s was one of our first dealerships, along with Keene Engineering. If I am not showing my age it’s not due to clean living, so must be luck of the genetic draw! :laugh:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My partner and I started our business in our senior year of high school.... I graduated in 1976. White’s was one of our first dealerships, along with Keene Engineering. If I am not showing my age it’s not due to clean living, so must be luck of the genetic draw! :laugh:

The one thing I noticed about being great at running a business is "Enthusiasm".  Here is a fine example for everyone.  Go to a GPAA Gold Show and see the different vendors and booths selling the same stuff.  One will have a guy sitting in a chair reading a magazine with coffee and doughnuts.  No eye catching display of gold, no video running in the background of their adventures and success hunts, no proper communication with the folks walking by.  Next booth has a display of recovered gold nuggets with the product he sells, his laptop is running in the background showing some guy or gal digging their 1st nice gold nugget, he is interactive with the potential customers, has a big piece of gold there to hand to the ladies so they can feel the mass/weight of gold and has a Free drawing for a panning kit.

I've seen it many times and just scratch my head at a few of the folks and wonder why they even showed up.

For the 20+ yrs I've known you Steve, the words you speak around others just gets us all excited and wanting to go do it.

Nike said it best "Just Do it":

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 10:05 AM, Dances With Doves said:

You seem like a fun guy Gerry.You do better when you have fun.I  met Chris Gholson and his father at  Stanton an  they were  good guys.It was 2002 and I picked up a 4gram nugget that was 22k plus with nice   size 14k chain for $120 at that show.

The Gholson family has been a big supporter of Minelab, especially back in the early days when Minelab was trying to get into the US market.  We all do things a little different, but learned to play well when around each other.  That piece you picked up most certainly has added some value since those days.  Just think if we could have known back then what gold would be at today.

• Like 2

Nice post, Gerry!  Well said!

• Like 1