Hello From Canada! Best Budget Gold Detector Options

Hey Guys, thx for the replies!

I've been reading and researching non stop including today for like 6 hours lol!

I really like the Equinox 800, downside is with a 6" coil you're looking at $1500cad! I could just get the Equinox 800 then in a couple of weeks get the 6" coil for it, that would be one way.

Another way i was also thinking was get the Vanquish 440 ($360cad) and have that as my coin/relic machine and try it out for gold just for fun but plan ahead on getting a dedicated gold detector like the Makro Gold Kruzer (61kHz) ($835) and i would have 2 purpose built machines and still be under $1200, a difference of $300cad between those 2 vs the Equinox 800.

Thoughts on this approach?

Would it be a good way about it as i would be under $1200 and have 2 purpose specific machines, or $1500 for the Equinox 800?

Thanks again for the replies and info!

• Like 1

In my case the majority of use would be in small rivers and creeks with lots of rocks, and some land as well.

I didn't know that the 11" could detect small gold, good to know! I was under the impression i would sooner or later need the 6" to find small gold! Thx for the info!

Alright have some time to think about either the Vanquish 440/Gold Kruzer combo or full send with the Equinox 800 lol

Wow that's impressive!

I never thought that the 11" would be able to pick up on those tiny pieces!

I think i saw some posts on another thread from you that said that you were quite happy taking out the Vanquish for coin hunting as it was fun and easy and usually chose to take it out over the Equinox 800 most of the time. Is that still the case? Just trying to gauge if i should do the combo detectors or just go all in on the Equinox 800!

2 hours ago, speedman2049 said:

I didn't know that the 11" could detect small gold,

I tested it on #7.5 lead shot, just one grain of it and was able to locate it at about 4 inches deep.

So yes it will find small gold, but I really had to learn what I was listening for to do it. I was able to learn in about 2 days on it but that was all I was looking for in my back yard.

• Like 1

A few years ago one of the cheapest VLF machines at the time that became one of the hottest desirable and you name a price detector was the T2 especially with the 5'' coil on,the T2 was so desirable for nugget hunting out in Africa and Sudan it was a case that the factory could not produce them quick enough,it eventually became a 'you name the price' gold detector of choice.

Although other more specific gold detectors have been produced,most i would think are slightly out of your budget,but i was just using the example of the T2 as what can be achieved with a low price machine.I could of sold mine for 4-5 times the price i paid for mine,it was that crazy,but one observation i have seen that is although i dont personally nugget hunt my T2 has found me more gold items and i mean alot more than all my other machine put together.

• Like 2

Thanks Phrunt and everyone else that responded as well!

Much appreciated!

And a special thank you to Phrunt and Mxt Sniper (we had chatted quite a bit in messaging), as they gave me tons of info so i'm in a much better informed position to make a decision.

Alright i think i'm pretty much settled on the Nokta Makro Gold Kruzer (61kHz).

It will fill the primary role nicely which is gold nugget hunting, it's water proof, comes with 2 coils, and i seen videos of people successfully using it to still dig out coins etc in soil! If after getting really used to the machine, and trying it out for coins/relics and see i'm not happy with it for that role, i can still go on to get a Vanquish to fill that specific role!

Payday tomorrow so i think i know what i'm going to get LOL!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, speedman2049 said:

Alright i think i'm pretty much settled on the Nokta Makro Gold Kruzer (61kHz).

It will fill the primary role nicely which is gold nugget hunting, it's water proof, comes with 2 coils, and i seen videos of people successfully using it to still dig out coins etc in soil!

Sounds like a good choice.  Nokta Makro's predecessor to the Gold Kruzer was the Gold Racer.  Steve H. wrote this one up based on his own experience, and he had input to the designers/manufacturers on its features.  I think it was the first detector in the 40-70 kHz region that was actually successful at finding coins on a consistent basis.  So it's basically a gold detector that will still find coins.  If you were primarily going to use it for coins there are probably many better choices in your price range, but for a detector whose primary purpose is gold, probably not.

Have fun with your new toy, and don't forget to read the manual multiple times!

• Like 1