Impulse AQ - Digging With Tones & Disc In General

Thanks for the report and good to see ...We need more in the future from others "AQ" owners once they have had some time out.....

You know I'm not sure what kind of hunter I am...I've been out the last two days ...........not hunting for gold but trash. It's tough..I do have video of most and will post youtube links once I get all done. And to be honest I dislike the Tones mod, must be because I'm have the option of disc button on my excalibur?  I'm not sure...But brace yourself, I got some things I can't explain...like nulling on a aluminum can in the mute mode? Maybe because of it's size..? A Heineken can...in the water then in the sifter...then 5 minutes later a aluminum top to a can, that gave me a signal in mute...

And I am switching between modes to dig the muted..AM to dig..

The Zincons when I tested them (4) .......................I had two give me a signal in mute and........... 2 that did not. I may have them on video also..but those were airtest. The latest is water hunting.

I'm Going to a fresh drop beach Friday but unfortunately I know that beach very well...See how that goes...

Trying to build a Log of trash targets, with video on the one's that no one will believe..............I had one today, I was out chin deep..digging away, the winds shifted and it became a fight to get the target out..and I was in All metal. It got to the point I was not going to leave it...then I said..OOo heck I'll just switch to mute. ,,,"Null"...no clue what it was may need to go back on that one if I can find it...Very bad when you start worrying about the nulls that gave the muted signal...☠️

• Like 8

Remember a PI knows nothing about aluminum, gold, iron... it is all time constants. An aluminum can.... yes, that is actually a high VDI/long time constant target.

Zinc pennies are borderline targets, very sensitive to the ATS setting in particular. I think the knobs move too easily... just a hair one way or the other makes a difference. The way mine is set a new penny with a clean copper surface goes low tone, ones showing much zinc at all go high tone. It should be possible to knock out the zincs completely, but that is too aggressive for me.

I prefer all metal mode for most use. But I can see a potential use for every one of the modes.... going to be very site specific. I thought Tone mode was kind of useless until this morning. In Tone mode the iron response is mostly low tone with some minor high tone mixed in. Though this varies with the target. Some ferrous will be high tone with just some ferrous hints. In Mute mode the iron response is mostly silent with some minor high tone breaking through. This may make some ferrous appear better than it would appear in tone mode. In Volcanic Sand mode the iron response should be fully silent which is necessary to reject volcanic ground. This should be the quietest mode in dense ferrous, but I have yet to experiment with it.

I got into magnetite so thick this morning I had to drop sensitivity to default and go to 11.5 uS, and there was still a little ground response. Targets were also thick though so depth was not a huge concern, and it was still there anyway. I did drop into Volcanic for just a moment, but it seemed to offer no real advantage at the time so I switched back out.

No doubt about it, tones can get real busy, and it messes with the cleaner all metal responses, so I can understand people not liking it. But I had fun with it today.

• Like 6

Yes, I am quite pleased with the target mix. I liked seeing all the nickels in particular. Hunting fresh water lakes is different than saltwater. You do not get the massive storm cuts that can be so productive for saltwater beach hunters, so things are more hit and miss.

Tahoe had record low water levels a couple years ago, and the dry land hunters were able to walk all over stuff that is back underwater now. There was a ring bonanza at the time. I’m new to hunting Tahoe however, so still have a lot to learn about where the better hunting locations may be. I’m mainly waiting for late July and August when the water will be much warmer and my eyes fully healed from cataract surgery, so I can get back to mask and snorkel work. I’d like to try some more secluded “secret beach” locations.

The gold will come. Sometimes I’m hot, sometimes I’m not.... but it really is just a matter of time.

The secret to being a super detectorist is only showing the good times! I’ve had some stretches where I thought I’d never find gold ever again. Then... boom! :smile:

• Like 6

No regret Joe, it was not gold.

Gold does not cut, here we hear the cut, a good big ferrous or a coke can in depth.

The mute mode is not mistaken on gold, you can have a doubt only when the mute mode does not cut, (deep target) or when the mute mode rings intermittently.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yes, I am quite pleased with the target mix. I liked seeing all the nickels in particular. Hunting fresh water lakes is different than saltwater. You do not get the massive storm cuts that can be so productive for saltwater beach hunters, so things are more hit and miss.

Tahoe had record low water levels a couple years ago, and the dry land hunters were able to walk all over stuff that is back underwater now. There was a ring bonanza at the time. I’m new to hunting Tahoe however, so still have a lot to learn about where the better hunting locations may be. I’m mainly waiting for late July and August when the water will be much warmer and my eyes fully healed from cataract surgery, so I can get back to mask and snorkel work. I’d like to try some more secluded “secret beach” locations.

The gold will come. Sometimes I’m hot, sometimes I’m not.... but it really is just a matter of time.

The secret to being a super detectorist is only showing the good times! I’ve had some stretches where I thought I’d never find gold ever again. Then... boom! :smile:

You can get some good storm cuts in the   Great  lakes.A spot  could be down to the clay then the sand shifts and same spot could have 6 feet of sand.Things always change  in The Great lakes.

True, We also  don't have to deal with salt water or sharks even though there is folklore about a kid getting attacked in 1955 in Lake  Michigan  at Chicago.The   Great lakes also has a   sieche where one part of the lake can be  10 feet higher then other side.These conditions can create very strong currents in    certain places. Sometimes after a  storm the coins and gold lay in plain site on the black sand where you just eyeball them.The 18k chain in my  test today was such a target.We also  don't have ocean type tides every day.

• Like 2