Impulse AQ - Digging With Tones & Disc In General

On 6/25/2020 at 4:50 AM, midalake said:

Hi Steve

How is it even possible to reject silver [giving a low tone]  and still detect gold [with high tone]?  With tones modes?  

If you don't know maybe someone else?  Seems impossible. 

Thanks Dave

I practically wrote the book on discrimination with ground balancing PI Dave, and have discussed it for years starting with the Garrett Infinium, then Minelab’s and the TDI. The AQ is just the latest and I already wrote it up also. I included references to the past threads on the other machines. There is lots of information in prior threads on this forum about it. Honestly, I have been going out of my way to try and educate people on this for the last year, so I’m kind of surprised you have not seen it. I knew this would confuse people so have been trying to alleviate that confusion well in advance of the machine appearing. I will start including the links in all my future threads.

Long story short the AQ performs very much as I have anticipated all along, no real surprises, and no disappointments at all outside of the battery system.

Fisher Impulse AQ Discrimination Explanation 

More here

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have written extensively in the subject Dave, and link to the information in many prior threads. You are thinking VLF and conductivity. Stop it. :smile: Think PI and time constants.

Fisher Impulse AQ Discrimination Explanation 

Well let take it to the next step, where the machine assay's the target and then it just magically jumps in your pouch!  😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I made my post less snarky and added another link. You have motivated me Dave to create a better way for people to find critical past threads on issues relating to the AQ - thanks!

Well I have really not read on the topic, because I was using the Sovereign which is very PI like in it's all metal mode.[and still use]  Years ago I ran a CZ-21 for a while but could not bring it up to speed where I hunt. Also the only other machine I considered for my beach use was the Dual Field. However I am not a fan of 12" or bigger coils for my style of beach hunting and conditions, also hunting in another country I did not like the fact it used batteries.

I am an old dog that can learn new tricks.  I have no fear what so ever the AQ will talk a language that I understand.  The question might be trade-offs.    

• Like 5

• 9 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 8:57 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

There is a lot of audio to work with.

That's well said, Steve and herein lies the power of this machine--in conjunction with the reject.  I also think that this detector has good, clean optimization--and with practice--this will work well with the amount of audio detail.   Those narrow clean high tones are "the money."

cjc

• Like 1

Yeah, I really liked the audio, and the audio options on the Impulse, and took to it immediately. I am satisfied with both the depth and the discrimination capability. The machine worked perfectly in fresh water, although there are reports that salt water use has been more problematic. I wish there was more transparency there, but people do not seem to want to go public, perhaps because the issue was belittled when it was mentioned a couple times? Whatever, but something is up with saltwater stability, but I've got no idea what the exact issue is, nor how widespread.

I hated to let the machine go, but am hoping a more polished version will appear someday in regular retail channels. I'm picky about some stuff, and the kludge that is the current battery system proved more a turn off for me than I thought it would be. I'd have kept it if not for that. I'd also have to hear more positive reporting from saltwater users also, before I'd consider the AQ again, so my eyeball is more on the gold prospecting version now.

• Like 1

I really got beat up over some of the things i thought the machine needed to improve on before the production model comes out.   A few of those were fixed...... the battery was a huge one to me.... and still seems to be less than expected with Joe being able to do what they couldnt/wouldnt.   I was kind of hoping for a 9" coil as well.  Im still not certain we will see the machine in July as some have predicted.   But hopefully you will get first choice on one Steve.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This time I do not want to be one of the first, assuming they do finally appear. I'd like to see a better track record for reliability this time before I pull the trigger, so will let some other brave souls take the plunge first. The lack of transferable warranty in particular is a bugaboo, as it makes buy and try an expensive proposition. It cost me around $400 this last go just to satisfy my curiosity. That's fine as it was not unexpected (should not have bought the extra battery for $200), but the reason mainly is the person buying it got no warranty, even though two years were left on mine. Anyway, that left me in less of a rush for the next go.

• Like 2

My Impulse needs to go back to Fisher for repair, so, that may delay the release of "new and improved version" depending on what they find. I went to use it yesterday, and it was totally dead.....wouldn't turn on or make one peep. Tried with both fully charged batteries so that wasn't the problem. It's been a rather disappointing machine for me too. I'll keep you posted as to what they find.....if they will disclose that to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 3