Nox And Gmx On 18k Rope Chain

The chain I am testing is the type a Fbs machine can 't  hit  or barely gets it . An 8   gram 20  inch 18k yellow gold   rope type chain.The xterra  ground reading for my testing site  is about 24,000.  At 0-10,000  =mild ground,10-100,000= moderate ground,100, 000-1,000,000 =hot ground.The ground  phase is about  a 8.At a reading over 20 you  should use a concentric,under  20= dd coil.  That is for xterra machine which is single frequency machine that switches frequencies.I tried the 48 kz. Gmx first an it  hit the about 5inch  deep chain with no   problem and above 50 id numbers and I could raise the coil about 3 inches.That is very good.I then tried the Nox in pk.1 and  that was a no go.I then tried pk.2 in   multi freq.  and 20 sens. and got a nice 1-2   id in mulit  tone.I  tried 20kz. in pk2 and got  average hit with up average id.I tried 40kz. and got a better  hit with   more solid up averaging in the id.I then went to gold 2 mode and mulit freq.  and 20 sens. and got great hit with solid id.  In 20 kz.      in gold  mode   it did pretty good with up average numbers.In 40 kz it hit  harder then all because I could crank  sens. to 24 with up average numbers that would make me dig. With this machine you could  hunt silver with the best of them then change  modes and  hunt tough gold with the  best of them.I tried the xterra with the  9inch 18kz .concentric and in coin mode I got a wrap  around signal  that might make me dig.In prospect mode I got good  soft signal with 2  inches of air  over target to  spare. The test for  Nox is with 11 inch coil. The Gmx had 6 inch concentric.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I tried the 6inch 18kz. coil on the X- terra in coin mode and   got a wrap around signal that might make me dig on the rope chain.In prospect mode I got a nice soft signal and was able to lift coil about an inch before I lose  the  target.I tried the 8inch mono  on the  infinium and that was a no go.

Interesting observation,small chains are notoriously hard to find with a detector,since we have been in lockdown mode for many months i have been testing various detector/coil and freq combinations on small gold items basically trying to increase the odds in my favour.The winning combination thus far that hits not only on small gold items and small gold coins like celtic 1/4 staters has been the Deus running hot with the elliptical coil running top of the shop 80khz,of course you wont get the depth of say running it in lower freq's but as most of my everyday finds are mainly in the top 6-8'' the elliptical coil is still my preferred coil of choice and can also run the sensitivity up high as well.

For pasture  use or backup detector then the Equinox still wins hands down,but still this combination although pretty deep still as yet has not take my everyday use crown off the Deus with that HF elliptical coil.

Of course not everyone would/will agree on using such a high freq but i use what suits me best and it also ticks the lightness box as well for me,on one of the roman sites that i have detected with a club for years this site is phenomenally high in mineral content and possibly the hardest site that i have detected that is when the TDI Pro with the 9x5 folded mono coil earns its keep.

• Like 4

Good read on your findings and I will keep it mind the next time i get to go hunting.

Thanks for the information and the time it took to do it.

Happy hunting!

• Like 2

I went and  grabbed my 18k white gold chain. This is about 4 grams and 15inches  long.It is only about 1mm wide that has 2mm white gold balls    every  inch and a half.I buried this very tough target at about 5inches.I grabbed the Gmx first with the 6inch concentric.It  hit this target good at 1 angle with a soft hit with not much room to spare, but  at other angles there were more 1 way hits or weaker hits.Still I could use pinpoint mode to get this target too.I then tried the 11  inch coil on the Nox in pk2 plus the gold modes.I have junk about 12 inches away and in all the ways I tried before could not get a confident hit that I knew was  the  target and not false signal or junk from nearby.I  then tried  X-terra with 6  inch 18kz dd coil and got barely a sound at one angle and others could not tell  or no signal.GMX best in this situation by far.Getting these types of tough targets gives you  bragging rights in my book.As hard as it gets when it comes to being successful in the sport of metal detecting.You need patients and a lot of energy. 

• Like 2