A Little More Gold

...with the emphasis on "little". Once in a while I like to ride my bike to the nearest lake to do a little detecting. I strap my scoop to the frame of the bike and put the Nox in a backpack which is easier with the 6" coil. It's about 10 miles round trip so I get a good workout and always find enough to cover my traveling expenses. 😉  Over the years I haven't found a lot at this lake but it is still fun and a lot closer than my more productive lakes.

As expected, I didn't find a lot of good targets but there were a couple of surprises. One was that some of the coins look like they have been there a while judging from the green verdigris buildup. Since I've hunted this spot several times, what that means to me is that there is some sand movement from the boat wakes and wind waves.

IMG_20200625_063348.jpg.05728f81f5924568ecc8e9a401977dd2.jpg

The biggest surprise was a small earring that appears to be low carat gold. 10K acid holds long enough to make me think it may be 8K or so. It wouldn't register by itself on my scale but when I add it to something else I'm weighing, the increase is about a third of a gram. It has a small, crude stamp which looks like "MEX" so I'm thinking it's from Mexico.

IMG_20200625_063622.jpg.6d7fdb48a7b15c703f595c2d389169cd.jpg

IMG_20200625_065916.jpg.3acc72580f4ec508965661ac70f61d15.jpg

These last couple of hunts have been okay but I usually do a lot better on the coin totals.  But I haven't been seeing a lot of posts in this part of the forum so I thought I'd jump in. GL&HH!

• Like 6

Great hunt overall and hope you better luck next time.

On 6/25/2020 at 8:10 PM, 2Valen said:

Great hunt overall and hope you better luck next time.

Thanks 2Valen, I usually have pretty low expectations for this particular location so any finds there are appreciated more.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 8:32 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

You have been on the roll "C"!! And you just retired? 

Thanks OBN, I was semi-retired and working part-time before the pandemic. When they recently asked me to return I decided to switch to "full" retirement mode. 🙂

Having no expectations and just hunting one swing at a time will have its own rewards.  It becomes part of the background for the better days.

Mitchel

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Having no expectations and just hunting one swing at a time will have its own rewards.  It becomes part of the background for the better days.

Mitchel

Thanks Mitchel, That approach has worked for me but also the one where I convince myself that there is gold to be found and I'm not leaving until I find it. 

Sometimes you have to be a contrarian also just to swing longer!  haha