Garrett Infinium Coils On Garrett Atx

Hi,

I have a Garrett ATX and have done some nugget detecting with it. See Gold Nugget Detecting with the Garrett ATX. However, the weight and the stock coil had me wishing for options. I wanted a smaller coil with no openings to hang up that could get into tighter locations. As a past Infinium owner the 10" x 5" DD coil immediately came to mind. See Detecting with the Garrett Infinium in Hawaii and the first picture will tell you what was going through my mind as I hunted gold nuggets.

So I have some Garrett Infinium coils I am trying on the ATX. The full story and photos are at my new Garrett ATX Accessory page. I will be updating it as I experiment more with the concept. An obvious alternative would be to make an adapter to mate a standard lower rod assembly to the ATX (it has already been done for the Recon) but I wanted to go hip mount for the least weight on my arm possible.

I want to note here I am advocating nothing and recommending nothing. This is just something I am doing that may answer some questions for some people. If nothing else it will save somebody else making a duplicate effort or wasting the time and money on something that may or may not work out. Bottom line is I just have to know for myself so I will find out and report back as I go along. This thread will be the official question and answer thread for the experiment.

• Like 2

I have contacted Garrett again and the information available has been refined.

"The ATX can be operated with Infinium DD coils. Performance with Infinium DD coils should be normal but is not guaranteed. The ATX cannot be operated with Infinium mono coils or any other Garrett coil other than ATX coils and Infinium DD coils. Recon Pro coils will not work on the ATX. The Recon Pro is not the same machine electronically, even though it looks similar. Use of any coil other than ATX coils and Infinium DD coils, including the use of 3rd party coils, will void the warranty."

So there you have it. The only coils you can run on the ATX are ATX coils (obviously) and Garrett Infinium DD coils. There are three Infinium DD coils available, 10" x 14" DD PN: 2217100, 5" x 10" DD PN: 2216700, and 3" x 7" DD PN: 2216600.

• Like 1

No, I do not have one to try. I was looking for something lighter in weight with no openings so the 10 x 14 DD did not really seem to offer enough difference compared to the coil already on the ATX to make me spring for one. Though of course it would still have the advantage of being able to be hip mounted.

Guest Paul (Ca)

Steve,

Thanks again for letting us know the Infinium DD coils will work on the ATX, just received the Infinium 5"X10" DD and mounted it to my homemade shaft for the Recon. Looks and works great I'll post a pic soon, Just logged on again hopefully the pics show.

What's neat is this DD with shaft will work on the ATX when I spring for one, and any of the other Infinium DD coils will work with this homemade shaft. Looks very slimiar to the ATX shaft but lighter.

Thanks again,
Paul (CA)

Guest Paul (Ca)

Hi Steve,

Sure give me a day or two and will post new pics of certain parts,  Plus going to paint this shaft with a better matching color if I can find it. 

One thing, To be honest was never really happy with this shaft but it's due the Infinium cable not being able to spring inward or out as the shaft collapses. Maybe Garrett will change the Infinium coil cables in the future so we can use them with the AXT on the new designed shaft specially made for the ATX to operate with infinium coils.  If this simple Californian rascal can make a homemade one I'm sure they can make them even better and mass produce them for us they will sell like hot cakes.

Thanks Steve,

Paul (Ca)

Guest Paul (Ca)

Here they are Steve,  Using plumbing from a local hardware store total cost to make one shaft was $35-40 bucks.  The lower stem is from another detector but only using the lower portion maybe 4"-5" inches at most and epoxied the lower stem inside the lower shaft.  Then, Cut a slot so the coil connector can slide into the lower shaft then on up into the other upper tubes.  Sort of the same concept as the Explorer coil shafts with the connector entering the shaft exiting out the upper shaft,  It's crude but works.

Going to make a better version in the future, This will be totally different than this first one and should be lighter and stronger.  Will look sporty too and give the ATX a more land version appearance.  Plus, Will have less drag out in water swing better less wear on the arm.

By the way, Top notch forum :)

Paul (Ca)