Garrett Infinium Coils On Garrett Atx

Guest Paul (Ca)

You too Steve the best of good hunting for you at the Island, Perfect place for gold jewelry detecting.

Looking forward to using the ATX, I know it will be a future favorite always enjoyed using Pi units actually still have several for certain types of hunting.

Thanks again :)

Paul (ca)

• 2 weeks later...

Guest Paul (Ca)
Steve,

Here's a fresh idea tossed this together this morning,  Appears it's going to work great for Infinium coils.  Have two Infinium coils ordered won't be here unit this weekend but will post pics when I slap them onto this shaft setup, My current 5"X10" DD shaft setup is on loan so won't get that back for a while. In the meantime have a 3"X7" and the larger Infinium DD coil on route so will be playing with these this weekend with this shaft setup.

It's an old military Pi shaft, Collapses down too looks like it's going to be a neat addition for the ATX.  With this shaft, Can either go with the cable running inside the rods but will have to cut the cable and reseal the cut or go with the easy route and wrap the cable around the shaft then connecting the cable connecter from the outside.
Paul (Ca) 

nyu1hd.jpg

xp6c95.jpg

2nid84h.jpg

a2xflz.jpg

On the 5x10 does it exhibit the tonal quality of the stock coil as far as say NAIL WARBLE Vs SMOOTH ROUND COIN sound's....

I see the Stock coil as a HD Audio coil...

i have to admit I now see the Garrett ATX as a 21st Century P.I.

I have to really give it to Garrett ...I was starting to worry about them a few years back..I see now thye are firmly planted...they have a desire to remain Current!

They have really took aim at the detector market with some affordable performance in VLF and P.I. design..

If all I had was an AT series machine like the gold or Pro and a small coil I would not feel outgunned in iron unmasking  by no mean's.. and they have now built a very aggressive P.I.which also exhibits great tonal quality as does the AT series ..

I'm thinking the Coil designs are very cutting edge....on the VLF and P.I.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul (Ca)

Hi Steve,

Have some tiny ATX finds to share in the near future, No gold jewelry yet but some of the pieces the ATX is getting are very small.  One particular piece I think you'll even be surprised when you see it is by far the tiniest ATX find, I compared this tiny find with my Vista Gold and was surprised to see the ATX and Vista Gold hit the tiny find about the same distance even both equaled about the same strength wise in audio.

Anyway  When I pickup some more finds hopefully have ATX gold jewelry by then will post the small finds.

Take care,

Paul

Guest Paul (Ca)

That is great news Steve the ATX did well for you over in Hawaii, looking forward to your post.

Wish I could say the same with my first trip to the beach, Was not prepared  went with the wrong sand scoop and was a tough beach to hunt the wet sand was terrible.  But then again this was my first time using the ATX so maybe I wasn't dialed in with proper GB and such.  Will have to go again pretty sure the first trip results were from my doing.

Anyway, Been using the ATX on land for gold jewelry hunting, No luck yet on gold but have dug up tons of smaller pieces of low conductive trash and then yesterday morning got a tiny piece that really surprised me. At first seen it in my hand and thought to myself surely this can not be the target must still be in the ground, Then I scanned this small piece across the coil and Wow banged loud and clear that was it the ATX really amazes me. Sometimes forget I'm running a Pi sure feels and acts like a VLF on sensitivity.

Want to add the ATX sure loves hair pins :lol: Think I'm going to have a contest in the near future when I fill a jar of bobby pins from using the ATX.  Forum members can guess the amount the closest gets a vintage metal detector,  At the rate I'm going should have a jar filled up soon.

You take care Steve,

Paul

35hjlo7.jpg

Paul, you hit the nail on the head. The ATX runs more like a VLF than a PI detector. In fact, it actually behaves better than some high gain VLF detectors.

At this point I can say the ATX is the best PI I have ever owned. Before the GPX owners freak out let me qualify that by relating that for me the GPX is great at what it does but for me it really only serves one purpose. Prospecting. I have toyed with other uses but in urban areas EMI limits it uses, and I have no desire to expose it to salt water spray, so it does not go to the beach with me.

The ATX is far more versatile detector and has excellent overall performance. It has some of the ergonomics problems that come along with being a hybrid waterproof/dry land model but set those aside and it is a superb PI circuit. It is morphing into one of the select few detectors that have really made an impression on me.

I have my own hair pin collection going but sounds like you are ahead of me in that department. They do tend to double blip so I often could skip them but where I am detecting at the moment I want all high tone targets in the bag. Usually it is quicker for me to just get the target in the bag than the time it takes to think about whether to recover it or not.

• 4 months later...

Hi

RE…Post on the Infinium DD and Mono coils both working on the Garrett Recon-Pro

Link deleted since Findmall update broke all old links

The ATX has same tone output as Infinium and most importantly the adjustable gain, if the Infinium DD work ok with the Garret ATX then the stock ATX coil should work better with a Infinium also. Has anyone tried the ATX stock with the Infinium, or even back engineered a gain control on the Infinium.

The Infinium Mono’s do have two windings side by side with a interns circuit. Also the Infinium DD does not use a interns circuit just a resistor in series after the Rx winding to match spec’s. Has anyone got specs on the ATX ….X for Infinium.

B.R

• Like 1