Garrett Infinium Coils On Garrett Atx

I have two Infiniums, pulled one about not a easy task thou as front control housing is glued, the right amount of heat has to be applied around casing to release seal. Steve who would be best to contact about testing the ATX coils mono & DD for inductance & resistance. That will tell me alot about the ATX coils spec's, have all the spec's for the infinium coils etc.

The experts on the Geotech forum at http://www.geotech1.com/forums/forum.php

There used to be specs on the Garrett coils there but I can't find it now. Garrett is very protective of proprietary information and it may have been removed. But if you inquire there someone can probably forward you the information.

No, I do not have one to try. I was looking for something lighter in weight with no openings so the 10 x 14 DD did not really seem to offer enough difference compared to the coil already on the ATX to make me spring for one. Though of course it would still have the advantage of being able to be hip mounted.

I have contacted Garrett again and the information available has been refined.

"The ATX can be operated with Infinium DD coils. Performance with Infinium DD coils should be normal but is not guaranteed. The ATX cannot be operated with Infinium mono coils or any other Garrett coil other than ATX coils and Infinium DD coils. Recon Pro coils will not work on the ATX. The Recon Pro is not the same machine electronically, even though it looks similar. Use of any coil other than ATX coils and Infinium DD coils, including the use of 3rd party coils, will void the warranty."

So there you have it. The only coils you can run on the ATX are ATX coils (obviously) and Garrett Infinium DD coils. There are three Infinium DD coils available, 10" x 14" DD PN: 2217100, 5" x 10" DD PN: 2216700, and 3" x 7" DD PN: 2216600.

Has anyone tried Infinium Coils(DD or Mono) on Garrett Recon-Pro? 

Guest Paul (Ca)

Has anyone tried Infinium Coils(DD or Mono) on Garrett Recon-Pro? 

Hello dnxa,

All Infinium DD coils will work on the Recon,  Haven't tried the larger Infinium Mono coil on the Recon but it should work.  Have only used Infinium DD coils with the Recon.

With the Recon, Sensitivity is at it's best with the stock 8" mono coil.  Some loss of sensitivity occurs with DD coils but not much, When I was running the Recon before getting the ATX was using the 5"X10" DD elliptical, Now the 5"X10" DD elliptical is my main land coil for the ATX.  In the future, Will pickup an ATX 8" mono coil for fresh water. 

The Recon was a fine machine in it's day, But outdated compared with todays ATX. 

Take care,

Paul (Ca)

30mnvxg.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Paul for good review about Recon and ATX. Could you made some final toughts about ATX and Recon. Pros and cons you know kind of comparision. Thank you!

Guest Paul (Ca)

Hello Shelton,

One of major differences between the two are recovery speed, the ATX is allot quicker. The Recon recovery speed drags on sort of the same as the Infinium, a good pi for it's time but after trying the ATX it's tough going back to the Recon.

Depth, again the ATX is the winner and sensitivity hands down the ATX smokes the Recon.

One disadvantage with the Recon is it's constant retuning, having to hit the retune button constantly gets annoying. Every time I use the Recon I think about the military and the soldiers who used the Recon, the torture they must have endured with the retuning itself.

The Recon is an OK Pi, but after using an ATX it's tough going back to old technology.

HH, Paul

Thank you! Nice review.