My Equinox 800 Is Back After It Leaked

I'm taking it in the water tomorrow out deep and find out if it leaks or not. I'm going to use it in the water till my 2 year warranty is up.

• Like 4

It's a new one.

• Like 5

Put it in the tub tonight and do not go real deep in the water.

I hope this one doesn't leak because you got me nervous about taking mine to the lake now.

I hope it doesn't leak either. I think everybody is a little nervous with there Equinox in the water. The odds of them leaking though is low.

The Deux/Orx with waterproof kit is certified to 16' deep in the water.  I have the Equinox 800, XP Orx or Gold Kruzer. I like them all. They are all good detectors and water hunters. The Equinox will probably be my main detector in the water. If it doesn't leak 😎.

I'm going in the water tomorrow morning with the Equinox and 6" coil. Wish there was an 8" coil for the Equinox.

• Like 1

My Tesoro Stingray II leaked on the very first use. Has a White’s Surf PI leak on very first use. My second Garrett ATX leaked... at least not on the first use. :laugh: A lot of full time surf hunters will tell you it’s not a matter of if, but when, a waterproof detector will leak.

Just have a backup plan, go detecting, have fun. :smile:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I treat my Equinox like dirt and it's had it's share of water tests, it's spend days in the bath, I even put it out in my 100 degree F spa for 2 days and 2 night held down by a brick and it survived it fine.  I've dunked it in a frozen creek too, temperature extremes are where I would expect it to fail but it hasn't.  It's spent some time at the beach being used in the water too.  I'm not concerned at all about mine in water and if it eventually drowns so be it, it's bound to happen one day but I'd never let the fear of it happening prevent me from enjoying what it's intended to be used for.  My brand new Casio G-Shock watch was waterproof to 660ft, it died a few months after getting it when I went in the Spa pool with it, the watch shop I bought it from said it was because I used it in the hot water of my spa.  It was replaced and I've since used it in the Spa for years with no issues.  You only live once, may as well enjoy it and not worry about these things that may possibly happen.

My  friend found a  Timex watch  that was in the water for a long time.It was totally covered in zebra  mussles and it still worked.He cleaned them  off and uses it when he goes water hunting now .That is a watch that took a licken and kept on ticken.

• Like 3

Well i started  water detecting back in 1977  used plenty of Whites, 1000, all the way through to Whites Dual Field which i still have now, Also Eric Fosters Aquasport. & Vallon . I am very  savvy on keeping the detectors right up to scratch . I have never had one leak yet & i always test them by leaving in the bath for 48 hours and always hose them down check there is no sand. The Dual Field has a complete different o ring which does not need any silicone grease . As the other ones do.

Its really crappy that the Equinox has all these failures I would not touch one with a forty foot pole because its like playing Russian Roulet it could last out and spit the dummy just after the warranty runs out.

And i have had quite a few of there detectors over the years .But i will stick with my V3I its just so far ahead even though its 10 years old i bought mine in 2009. Its just a shame Whites is closing. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pinpointa said:

Well i started  water detecting back in 1977  used plenty of Whites, 1000, all the way through to Whites Dual Field which i still have now, Also Eric Fosters Aquasport. & Vallon . I am very  savvy on keeping the detectors right up to scratch . I have never had one leak yet & i always test them by leaving in the bath for 48 hours and always hose them down check there is no sand. The Dual Field has a complete different o ring which does not need any silicone grease . As the other ones do.

Its really crappy that the Equinox has all these failures I would not touch one with a forty foot pole because its like playing Russian Roulet it could last out and spit the dummy just after the warranty runs out.

And i have had quite a few of there detectors over the years .But i will stick with my V3I its just so far ahead even though its 10 years old i bought mine in 2009. Its just a shame Whites is closing. 

My  friend  says the  worst thing you can do is put a hot machine in cold water.Splash it and dunk it in and out so it can  cool down more slowly     or you make cause it stress.