Last week I was in the middle of shooting a video and the detector did the wobble worbal audio a few times. So I stopped and started the video again. Not thinking... This week it did the same and I put 2 plus 2 together..Something that may come up later once there are more "AQ"s out there..Had the "AQ" for about 5 weeks now, and the only thing I've seen give it a reason to act crazy.

• Like 7

I've had the same thing happen to my Equinox when someone with a cell phone would walk past me on the beach. Not all phones made it react like that but a few did.

I've had the Excal start a little talk when someone on a phone walked by close; not every one with a phone, only a few. This past Christmas to New Years trip to Myrtle Beach, there was one woman who did a lot of walking. Every time she walked past when I was using the Excal, it would warble. I should have stopped her and asked what kind of phone she had. Had not had that happen with other detectors. Excal, Sand Shark and HH Pulse were very good at giving little crackles in the headset when distant lightning was firing off. CZ did not give me lightning warning that it was time to pack it up and not be a lightning rod.

1 hour ago, tvr said:

I've had the Excal start a little talk when someone on a phone walked by close; not every one with a phone, only a few.

Wow, odd. I have hunted with a sovereign for 20 years and never knew what EMI was at the beach until I swung the Equinox.  I run the sovereign hot and on the edge too. Heck, I can hear cell phones coming 40-50 away sometimes with the Nox.  

• Haha 1

I haven't had any issues with my Galaxy phone and the Nox, but the pinpointer gives it fits, if i don't separate them well apart when in use! 

I keep my phone in a waterproof case, in my back pocket! And it stays on because i have a very good lightning app. that lets me set a radius in miles to warn me of lightning within striking distance! One of the main everyday summer hazards in S. Florida! 👍👍

12 hours ago, midalake said:

Wow, odd. I have hunted with a sovereign for 20 years and never knew what EMI was at the beach until I swung the Equinox.  I run the sovereign hot and on the edge too. Heck, I can hear cell phones coming 40-50 away sometimes with the Nox.  

Seems to be a new phenomenon with some newer phones. It's just been the last year to year and a half that I've had the Excal do a warble on a few phones that pass me on the beach. I don't have a phone, so it isn't me talking to the detector.

With the AQ, at some point we will get a report on whether or not it crackles or alerts to lightning.  I actually like it when that mode of interference is evident. It tells me to take a good look at the sky and most probably pack up or shelter until the weather passes.

4 hours ago, tvr said:

Seems to be a new phenomenon with some newer phones. It's just been the last year to year and a half that I've had the Excal do a warble on a few phones that pass me on the beach. I don't have a phone, so it isn't me talking to the detector.

With the AQ, at some point we will get a report on whether or not it crackles or alerts to lightning.  I actually like it when that mode of interference is evident. It tells me to take a good look at the sky and most probably pack up or shelter until the weather passes.

I remember being out late one night and way off in the distance you could see the strikes, then you would hear it in the CZ20 almost that moment..I had a oldtimer tell some of the best hunting was when a storm was going on off in a distance..Often wondered ..I know I found no gold that evening.

2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I remember being out late one night and way off in the distance you could see the strikes, then you would hear it in the CZ20 almost that moment..I had a oldtimer tell some of the best hunting was when a storm was going on off in a distance..Often wondered ..I know I found no gold that evening.

Must be some variation in units. My CZ-20 that just died was dead quiet to electrical disturbance when I could see lightning and hear it, but not through the electronics. It was also custom tuned to notch out a zincoln and sound nickles as mid-tone rather than high tone. It would let me hunt only mid-tones when I wasn't just hunting auto-tune. Funny hearing "old timer" as we are both now retired and I've been called that term already.

I can not attest to thunder storm hunting being good or bad, I have an aversion to being a lightning rod and will pack it in.

• The title was changed to Cell Phone And The AQ