My First Wheat Penny!!!!

A mile stone in my metal detecting hobby, my first wheat penny. I found it today in my yard near my driveway, at the edge of my property. I though it would be a memorable penny(just like the rest of the pennies I found in my yard) but it turned out to be wheat. A 1942 D to be exact. The house was built in 1940, so it was there most likely ever since. I am glad to have it. I cleaned the dirt off with dawn and a paper towel. Do you think it needs to be cleaned more or is it nice the way it looks? 

96519FC3-087A-4CD7-B161-769FB56204EB.jpeg

92F605E9-E6D0-47F9-A0BD-6BEF20D93A7F.jpeg

• Like 6

Sweet! Congratulations!

I think it looks just fine the way it is. I like the bit of patina it has.

• Like 2

congratulations on your find. took me 3 yrs of detecting to find my first wheatie. 

Nice milestone!  I bet there are more there on your property (maybe even a silver dime), so keep hunting.

Definitely don't clean that.  It looks better than > 90% of the Wheats I find.  This is exactly what coin collectors like to see (even though this one has very little numismatic value) -- natural toning.  It's the green scale buildup that deserves work.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, just keep up your detecting and you soon will.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice milestone!  I bet there are more there on your property (maybe even a silver dime), so keep hunting.

Definitely don't clean that.  It looks better than > 90% of the Wheats I find.  This is exactly what coin collectors like to see (even though this one has very little numismatic value) -- natural toning.  It's the green scale buildup that deserves work.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, just keep up your detecting and you soon will.

I did find a silver liberty quarter not to far away from the area this came from. I will keep looking!!!! I did clean it with a paper towel and dawn but that’s it. It does look nice! I inherited my great grandfather’s finds and his wheats where very hard to read, so I’m lucky. I hope this is one of many!! Thanks!!

5 hours ago, GA1dad said:

Awesome!!! I still look at wheat cents as a win!!!!

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Tometusns said:

Congrats! More treasures await! 

Thanks!!

6 hours ago, devilsrenegade said:

congratulations on your find. took me 3 yrs of detecting to find my first wheatie. 

Thanks !!