So What Are Your Plans For The Impulse AQ Limited?

My Plans?   Beach nourishment has been recently completed to almost all local ocean side beaches within the past 4 years.  Aside from fresh drops, the unsettled sand allows heavy targets to sink fast.  The waves on most days give me a beating if I try to venture out.  So with the AQ, I plan to hunt the shallow water and hit a few swimming holes within the Intracoastal Waterway. 

Sting Ray

a.k.a.  Ferrous Grump

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

This is a very good question and I see what you are thinking ...

For the gold nuggets reseach with an AQ:

In heavy magnetite, the TONE mode and MUTE mode will not work. It does not mask enough.
I prefer to talk about cutting or masking magnetic ground rather than talking about balance.
You would not be able to easily obtain a ground balance as on the TDI for the search for gold nuggets with the AQ. It's depends of the ATS setting ...

Only the volcanic mode can mask correctly this type of ground, but you will hardly find the point of equilibrium because in general you will be well beyond this point when the ground is masked)

Much of the very gold nuggets is therefore eliminated due to the attenuation of the signal caused by strong masking.

On the wet sand:

At the beach when there are concentrations of magnetic sand the detector will sound like an iron nail at this place, so it will make a low pitch in TONE mode.
If the sand is made up of different layers that undulate in depth, the bass sound will vary continuously.
In Mute mode, the magnetic sand layers are masked (but not balanced, we are not on the point of equilibrium we are well beyond when the ground is masked)
This does not prevent finding the gold jewelry.

If it's too strong, we must used the VOLCANIC SAND mode.
And again, this does not prevent finding the gold jewelry.
You will reduce the depth due to the attenuation of the signal caused by strong masking.

But we must not forget that for all the other detectors it is a zero inch detection!

Excellent, I'll do some experimenting this week and report back. :smile:

• Like 5

My plans are to hit this beach if I get it before it gets sanded back in.  Only a couple of these green (and some undersized) coins in the picture below, actually hit my Equinox 800 (15 inch coil) as coins.  Almost all hit as iron, foil or just a threshold blip.  Most were in the 12 to 15 inch range (best guess with wet sand caving in on itself) in sand with a lot of black sand mixed in.   There has to be gold in the next layer down under these.  Anyway, that is where my first date will be when Miss Impulse comes knocking at my door.

IMG_8567.jpg

• Like 5

I have 2 small fresh water beaches close to home,  They were both replenished in the 60s and through the years they have grown in size. I swam at these beaches before and after the replenishment I know the old section.   I have detected these areas first with the Xcal then the Xcal with a 15 inch coil moved on to the Infinium witch produced the most gold and silver.I detected until the area was quiet. Then I got the TDI BH started all over again with good deep targets silver and gold.    The TDI BH has the area is quiet again , Now it will be very interesting as to what the AQ will see beneath the reaches of the TDI.   Some of the targets with the TDI were getting down to the rocky gravel under the sand so I know there in more there just a little deeper.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jim in ma said:

I have 2 small fresh water beaches close to home,  They were both replenished in the 60s and through the years they have grown in size. I swam at these beaches before and after the replenishment I know the old section.   I have detected these areas first with the Xcal then the Xcal with a 15 inch coil moved on to the Infinium witch produced the most gold and silver.I detected until the area was quiet. Then I got the TDI BH started all over again with good deep targets silver and gold.    The TDI BH has the area is quiet again , Now it will be very interesting as to what the AQ will see beneath the reaches of the TDI.   Some of the targets with the TDI were getting down to the rocky gravel under the sand so I know there in more there just a little deeper.

Jim, Just curious. I usually opt for for a discriminating detector in fresh water because of all the trash. Do you hunt in "all metal" or with the Ground Balance "on" with the TDI BH? 

36 minutes ago, Rick Kempf said:

Interesting thought. Since the AQ Iron modes seem to work best with relatively “clean” ferrous junk, it might turn out that freshwater use is interesting after all.

I’m hunting nothing but freshwater with mine for now, possibly the rest of the year. I’d not mind running to the coast, but not with all this virus nonsense. That will have to wait.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Compass said:

Jim, Just curious. I usually opt for for a discriminating detector in fresh water because of all the trash. Do you hunt in "all metal" or with the Ground Balance "on" with the TDI BH? 

I hunt GB off, as hot as I can make it.Battery mod

I have a lot of time, I dig every disturbance in the threshold, I have cleaned both beaches of all junk. Many times after removing a piece of junk I check the hole and come up with rings or silver coins. 

junk.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Jim in ma said:

I hunt GB off, as hot as I can make it.Battery mod

I have a lot of time, I dig every disturbance in the threshold, I have cleaned both beaches of all junk. Many times after removing a piece of junk I check the hole and come up with rings or silver coins. 

junk.jpg

Target masking is every bit as real in the water as on land, no matter the type of detector used. The more trash there is, the more likely good finds are being masked. Maybe more than have been found. As far as I am concerned Jim, you are doing what needs to be done at any high value location. Great job, you are an inspiration! 👍🏼

Beneath The Mask by Tom Dankowski

• Like 5