Nox 6"dd Coil On My Tough Targets

I took the 11inch coil off because it was on backwards   and  I finally  noticed it. I did good  with it on backwards.I put on the 6" coil and tested my tough targets.I tested the 5''   deep 18k yellow gold chain first in pk2 and it was  great.In  multi freq.   It hit the chain solid  with a great id of 1-2.Same mode  but in 20kz.I get a good hit with  mostly up average numbers where I would dig if I was chain  hunting.I put it in 40kz. and it hit better with better   sounding up average numbers.I then put  it in gold 2 mode and could run multi freq. up to 23 and it slammed it with great id numbers .I put it then in 20kz. and it hit it good with nice up average numbers.I put it in 40kz. and it slammed it with great up average sounding numbers.The 6inch coil is a winner on this target in many  different settings.I  will do a write up on the small  deep white gold ring next.The 6inch coil has it's place for  small gold.

• Like 5

I ran down to the beach with my 6" coil when I got it and found 4 rings that session!  I was stoked.  I've use it quite often in the desert and for whatever reason I haven't found any gold nuggets with it.  I did find lots of tiny bird shot which means if gold was there I should have detected it but not so far.

It is quite a treat to walk a beach with such a tiny coil and get some good hits.

Mitchel

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I ran down to the beach with my 6" coil when I got it and found 4 rings that session!  I was stoked.  I've use it quite often in the desert and for whatever reason I haven't found any gold nuggets with it.  I did find lots of tiny bird shot which means if gold was there I should have detected it but not so far.

It is quite a treat to walk a beach with such a tiny coil and get some good hits.

Mitchel

27 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Mitchel

I have  a beach  that  has a lot of junk because it  is old ,had a beach house close to the water that  was torn down plus a train that ran next to it that was built in 1874  which was   50 years before beach house was built. I still have not used my 6inch  coil in the water.

Try it, you'll like it.

That 6'' coil on the Nox is a deadly coil on small gold,my main setup items that i use when trying different settings are a small celtic gold 1/4 stater,a smallish chain with a broken clasp and a small gold earing.

These are my prime target size items that i would be after,we dont have gold nuggets,jewellery size items would be found down near a very old river ford crossing that has been used possibly going back 2000 years,during the hot summer months the local mums take the kids down and that is the small location that always provides fold rings,not other gold jewellery items as such not like a general beach just rings that have fallen off whilst in the cold water.

The highly desirable celtic gold staters and also hammered gold coins are also the main targets,the Nox with that small coil is my main machine for that,usually would run it in multi freq with slow and methodically swings of the small coil,have also been trying different sensitivity settings as well and even reducing the settings right down detuning the detector down to even 14-15 and if i am honest i think by doing this it slightly improves signal response as you are reducing the ground matrix.Of course this is just my personal opinion as most folks tend to crank up the sensitivity much higher and in some instances i find that by increasing or running hotter settings it can be counter productive.Many folks will probably disagree with me on this one but i use the settings that work best for me and my sites. 

• Like 7

I tested the 6" coil on my deep white gold ring that is tiny and sub  gram  and  gives a 2  for a id number on a air test. I tried pk1 first and all I got was a soft  iron sound which is a no go unless your desperate.I then tried pk2 in multi freq. with a sens. of  22 and got a  great hit with good id.I put it in 20kz. in same mode and got a average hit with mixed  positive and neg. numbers.I then put it in  40kz. and it gave a         real good  hit with more positive numbers. all did better  or worse  depending on the  angle.I then put it in gold2 mode and multi freq.  for the first test and sens. at 23 and it slammed it with great id numbers and I could lift coil about 4'' and still get it. I put it 20kz. and it gave a great hit  with good up average numbers .I then put it in 40 kz. and it slammed it at a 25 sens.  setting.I could  lift the coil about 5'' off the ground and still get it.  I will try the toughest of these targets next which is my 18k  white gold chain.This coil has it's place.Also a id of  2 is small  for a  ring..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RickUK said:

Many folks will probably disagree with me on this one but i use the settings that work best for me and my sites. 

Results we like to hear and lets us think outside the box.  I like your settings.

JP always talks about coil control on the Zed.  The more I use the Nox the more I see my coil control has an effect on my targets.  The targets don't know how fast or smooth I'm swinging the coil but the audio response is sure different with different swings.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RickUK said:

That 6'' coil on the Nox is a deadly coil on small gold,my main setup items that i use when trying different settings are a small celtic gold 1/4 stater,a smallish chain with a broken clasp and a small gold earing.

These are my prime target size items that i would be after,we dont have gold nuggets,jewellery size items would be found down near a very old river ford crossing that has been used possibly going back 2000 years,during the hot summer months the local mums take the kids down and that is the small location that always provides fold rings,not other gold jewellery items as such not like a general beach just rings that have fallen off whilst in the cold water.

The highly desirable celtic gold staters and also hammered gold coins are also the main targets,the Nox with that small coil is my main machine for that,usually would run it in multi freq with slow and methodically swings of the small coil,have also been trying different sensitivity settings as well and even reducing the settings right down detuning the detector down to even 14-15 and if i am honest i think by doing this it slightly improves signal response as you are reducing the ground matrix.Of course this is just my personal opinion as most folks tend to crank up the sensitivity much higher and in some instances i find that by increasing or running hotter settings it can be counter productive.Many folks will probably disagree with me on this one but i use the settings that work best for me and my sites. 

I tried a sens. setting of 15 in pk2 and mult freq. on the 2  targets I just  tested and the chain gave a soft  hit  with   the right tone and id number.   The ring gave a soft sound with the right tone sound but with no id numbers at that sens. setting.

8 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

I tried a sens. setting of 15 in pk2 and mult freq. on the 2  targets I just  tested and the chain gave a soft  hit  with   the right tone and id number.   The ring gave a soft sound with the right tone sound but with no id numbers at that sens. setting.

No two identical settings will provide the same results,the main time and targets that i guess i would use this type of combination and also targets would be slightly more biased towards coins and gold artifacts rather than small or micro jewellery.Gold hammered coins like celtic gold staters which the 1/4 staters are relatively small but not as small as say a gold ear stud or that size item.Also as i detect mainly farmland or inland in general gold jewellery ie chains etc are certainly harder to find than say on a beach location or swim hole,so the bias is more towards gold coinage both hammered which are the most desirable of targets rather than say a gold milled coin but of course coins are going too be slightly easier than say gold chains especially 'fine' gold chains.

It all depends on what you are aiming for target wise and anything that can slightly increase the odds in your favour must be better than say random chance,as we all hunt different targets the main denominator is of course 'gold' but hunting for gold nuggets in Aussie land or Arizona is vastly different to say other gold jewellery or gold coinage.

Certainly a very interesting topic that we can all learn from. 

• Like 2

A gold stud earring is a weaker target then   the ones I tested.I don't think you could get a 5inch  buried stud earring.I  will try a small 4mm10k  yellow gold stud in future.My 10k white gold stud is only 3 mm and is very tough target.Things have to be perfect to find one of these.