Nox 6"dd Coil On My Tough Targets

I went and tested the 4gram 18k  small   18k white gold chain at 5".I tried pk2 in multi freq.    first with sens. setting  of 22 and got a   iron-non iron      hit that might make me dig. I then  did 20ks. at 24 setting and got a worse hit with  weaker sound and mostly iron id. I then tried it  at 40kz.and got stronger hit with iron and some non    iron hits which might make me dig. I went in to gold 2 mode multi freq. first at 23 sens.and got solid hit with iron-non iron hits that   would make me dig and I could raise coil about 2".I put it in 20 kz. and got nice but soft sound with iron id  at 24 setting. I then went to   40 kz.at 25 setting and got a  nice strong hit with  iron- non  iron id and   could lift coil about 3inches.Also in 40kz.  I could   turn on object   that the nearby junk caused    problems and pick out the target better then all other situations. This coil did as good as GMX with stronger sounds since GMX is soft on deep targets.

11 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

I tested the 6" coil on my deep white gold ring that is tiny and sub  gram  and  gives a 2  for a id number on a air test. I tried pk1 first and all I got was a soft  iron sound which is a no go unless your desperate.I then tried pk2 in multi freq. with a sens. of  22 and got a  great hit with good id.I put it in 20kz. in same mode and got a average hit with mixed  positive and neg. numbers.I then put it in  40kz. and it gave a         real good  hit with more positive numbers. all did better  or worse  depending on the  angle.I then put it in gold2 mode and multi freq.  for the first test and sens. at 23 and it slammed it with great id numbers and I could lift coil about 4'' and still get it. I put it 20kz. and it gave a great hit  with good up average numbers .I then put it in 40 kz. and it slammed it at a 25 sens.  setting.I could  lift the coil about 5'' off the ground and still get it.  I will try the toughest of these targets next which is my 18k  white gold chain.This coil has it's place.Also a id of  2 is small  for a  ring..

This is very helpful. Thanks DWD!

On 6/27/2020 at 1:08 AM, RickUK said:

have also been trying different sensitivity settings as well and even reducing the settings right down detuning the detector down to even 14-15 and if i am honest i think by doing this it slightly improves signal response as you are reducing the ground matrix.Of course this is just my personal opinion as most folks tend to crank up the sensitivity much higher and in some instances i find that by increasing or running hotter settings it can be counter productive.

Very wise words. I am guilty of running my sensitivity higher than needed, which introduces noise, and could well be counterproductive a lot of the time. Reducing sensitivity can be a smart thing to do, and very good to hear it said every now and then!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Very wise words. I am guilty of running my sensitivity higher than needed, which introduces noise, and could well be counterproductive a lot of the time. Reducing sensitivity can be a smart thing to do, and very good to hear it said every now and then!

Steve,thanks very much for that quote,it does mean alot for sure,as this was a Equinox thread/post i only basically mention how i use my Nox.

But as it was also i guess covering small target/s like say small gold chains and other small gold items in general,i will also mention how i use my main everyday machine the Deus,how its setup with some of the settings and how i also use it.I use solely the HF elliptical coil running 80khz all the time on farmland,and as you have been over to the UK our main targets that we are after are the silver hammered coins both full and cut halves and quarters and you can relate to how small these are,celtic gold hammered coins are even more sort after.So this is why i run my HF elliptical coil in 80khz this is basically the territory of the ' It's a great coil as the old famous Gold Bug ran less than 80khz, and was revered for it's gold finding capabilities' and as most of our finds are in the top say 8'' of soil then i hardly miss much.

My style of detecting over the last few years has become so slow and methodical that even snails have over taken my swing speed,i also go that slow that it looks like as if my shoe laces are tied together,but it works for me,methodical swing speeds and slow forward motion are the key as my finds rate has just exploded and just by doing a few simple changes in not only settings but also how i use the detector as aswell.In a previous post i mentioned that i basically run my sensitivity on my Nox down to say 14-15,i rarely mention how low i go with my Deus as folks often think i am joking but most folks run the Deus at 90+or- but on average mine is run down as low as 55-60 as the norm and even on bad ground down to 40-45,folks may disagree with me on this one but it works for me.

• Like 4