I "kicked The Bucket"

Back awhile ago I dumped one of my large non-ferrous finds containers. Most where found without the aid of a metered detector. I left the very small non-ferrous and square nails for who ever comes later. The ability to hear is paramount.

076.JPG

077.JPG

• Like 4

If those bullets are mid 1800's they fetch a buck or 2 ea. Noticed the pocket watch there too. Reminds me I should go through mine but getting lazy these days.

I used to keep boxes of stuff like that. After getting tired of storing them, I finally just tossed most of it out. Now when I get home, I just sort through it,  save the good stuff, and pitch the rest. With garage space always being a premium at my house, I'd rather collect detectors and accessories than miscellaneous scraps of metal.😁

PS. My wife does like to use some of my junk for craft projects.

IMG_0041.JPG

• Like 5

I sort and store all junk non ferrous in 5 gallon pails. The brass, copper and lead can get you a tank of gas or lunch if you bring them to a scrap yard. I just score the metal on a grinding wheel to tell if it's brass or copper. My yard takes it that way. The junk ferrous stuff goes with my light iron or #1 iron to the yard

• Like 3

No junk in that box civil war relics colonial flat buttons miscellaneous just tons of good stuff I just cull out all the really good stuff and put it in cases.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, schoolofhardNox said:

The brass, copper and lead can get you a tank of gas or lunch if you bring them to a scrap yard.

How clean do you have to get those scrap metals?  And do they just weight what you bring in and give you a fixed per pound price?  I've accumulated quite a bit of copper but haven't gotten all the dirt cleaned off/out.  For example, some of the tubing, after sitting in the ground for a few decades, is full of soil.

Is this a case where you've developed trust with the scrap yard and when you say for example "it's copper", that's enough?

28 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

How clean do you have to get those scrap metals?  And do they just weight what you bring in and give you a fixed per pound price?  I've accumulated quite a bit of copper but haven't gotten all the dirt cleaned off/out.  For example, some of the tubing, after sitting in the ground for a few decades, is full of soil.

Is this a case where you've developed trust with the scrap yard and when you say for example "it's copper", that's enough?

Short answer - the cleaner the better. Anything that has paint, corrosion will be #2 copper. Fresh tubing is #1 copper, dirt filled is rejected. Trust is good, but scrap yards generally know what they are looking at.... they don't get fooled too often. Prices are per pound. You can call ahead and get the going rate. If you need more info, message me so we do not stray to far off topic

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2020 at 8:39 AM, kac said:

If those bullets are mid 1800's they fetch a buck or 2 ea. Noticed the pocket watch there too. Reminds me I should go through mine but getting lazy these days.

They are civil war minnies of various types. I've dug several thousand of all types starting in 79.

• Like 1