I think we can get mesmerized by gold content (purity X weight) and lose site of beauty.  IMO that's one good looking ring!

• Like 2

Nice looking ring! It sure says a lot!

• Like 1

Ya, that's a keeper!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

That is very nice! Surprised the lady of the house has not grabbed it...Congratulations!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I think we can get mesmerized by gold content (purity X weight) and lose site of beauty.  IMO that's one good looking ring!

You are so right. Only when we find a well known brand is when we really pay closer attention. 

3 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That is very nice! Surprised the lady of the house has not grabbed it...Congratulations!!

The wife said it’s not her style so who am I to argue 😏

• Like 1

That one will really stand out in a collection- congrats!!!

• Like 1

Congratulations, Joe is right, my wife would have confiscated that in a heart beat.

Exercise that pays with interest, what else can you find that does that?

• Like 1

Wow, very nice, I really like that one!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Compass
      When I purchased the Equinox 800 many moons ago the main reason was because of its reputation for being able to find gold chains. From bench testing I knew that it would indeed give a good tone and TID on a medium sized gold chain but, unlike many of my Nox toting brethren, my 800 couldn't seem to come up with that elusive target- until yesterday. Now I don't typically use the Nox at the beach, just fresh water, and that is probably the reason for my past struggles. 
      In the wet sand at the beach, depending on conditions, many of the lightweight, low conductor targets are washed away so when you get a low TID number there is a better chance of finding something good as compared to the lake. At the lake, the low conductor targets like aluminum foil, bits of pull-tabs and bottle caps pretty much stay where they fall making it more challenging to find the small gold since the TID's are similar.
      Using the Nox in Gold 2 mode and with the 6" coil I spent all day at one of my favorite freshwater sites. I was finding lots of targets and quite a bit of it was trash but, usually, this spot rewards me for my efforts and after about 3 hours I had a couple of small gold rings. One of the rings came up with a quarter in the scoop so I'm sure that I was actually hearing the coin and just got lucky. My luck continued a short time later when I scooped out low TID and found a gleaming yellow gold chain bracelet. The bracelet was somewhat stiff so my guess is that it had been there a while. It is stamped "14K Italy" and weighs 4 grams.
      A couple hours later I was working in water a little over waist deep when I got a strong, repeating, "1" TID on the detector. It didn't take long to retrieve it and soon I was looking at a sight that I live to see-  a long, clean, glistening, gold chain hanging over the edge of my scoop- what a sight! I love finding any gold but gold chains are so rare for me that these moments are special and surreal. The chain is stamped "14K", weighs 8 grams and is 22" long. My wife likes it so one small repair and it will once again take its place in the world above ground.

Obviously, I did a whole lot of digging yesterday.Most of the other jewelry is costume jewelry but there are a couple of silvers in there. I was surprised with the number of nickels that I found. I rarely find more nickels than dimes or quarters. The funny looking staple shaped object on the bottom left was actually a ring at one time. It is stamped 925 and is turned inside out.

A great day in the water for me. Even after finding the gold necklace I hunted a couple more hours trying to find more gold. I wish I could have gotten a video of the gold but I, AGAIN, had GoPro problems and my disk was saying full before I found my first piece of gold. Maybe next time. GL&HH!
    • By tvr
      Got to the Outer Banks for a few days. One of the quieter water trips I've experienced there. Beautiful blue green water color. Saw lots of pelicans and dolphins. Nearly 8 seconds between waves for all four days we were there, although each wave would need to be ducked under or bounced up on to keep head above it. Unfortunately, surveying spots along about 6 miles of beach found deep soft sand in all areas checked. Slope was steep and all I was getting from the water were bottle caps and pieces of iron. Wet sand was giving nearly all iron too; so I spent most time on the dry sand. The beach was well streaked with black sand. Not much in the way of stuff found but did get one big ring. As soon as I saw it I knew it was junk. The plating was obviously coming off the ring and there just was not good color in the "stones". Oh well. Had a good time, ate lots of sea food.

• By mn90403
      I've been going out irregularly over the last week or so.  There has not been much to show and tell.  Cheap rings and a few coins until today.
      Based upon the tide schedule I've been getting up before the sunrise and getting back early.  Getting up that early doesn't mean you are the first detectorist to the beach.  I took advantage of my senior parking pass and was out and going in a northerly direction which was 'behind' someone digging deep holes.  They were leaving them open.  I knew I would catch up with them and I would be screaming at them so I turned in the other direction.
      I found a nickel.  Long walking without targets later I found a penny.  There was no pattern, waves had been small so there was just a small muddy catch area.  I was headed towards an all night beach where I'd found rings in the past but I've found rings all over these beaches by now.  I got a nice loud signal, a 19 and just about 1" down.  I thought it was a cheap ring and just put it away.  
      I put it in my pouch and walked a few feet before I saw something I had to deal with but that will be a separate post.  After I finished dealing with that glass I was wondering if I would find anything good, the good karma effect but it was only two quarter.
      It did turn out good when I got home and I could see .825 on the ring and it was gold.  Google told me .825 means it is 19k!  It is only 2.2 g but a nice little ring.

Here were some previous trips.

• By Joe Beechnut OBN
      One 18k Art Deco ring...1930's, Diamonds and looks like it had blue stones that filled in the gaps.. one remains. 😢
      Five Silvers, and a few other time period pieces...Almost 4 hours out..Jelly fish are gone.. were hundreds, ........seen 3..

Recon ..with Excalibur
      Report to myself....
      500 foot long area, Chest to shoulder deep ..parallel to shore..Markers 5 to the east..Marker 1 west....Markers are crab pot buoy's
      Sand moved in...more to the east, with some iron mixed, plenty of good targets between 1 and 3 markers, fades out 4 n 5.....area I was going to check with the "AQ" has now moved, covered by sand. . Coins seem to be further out between 1 n 3, One concentrated area of iron possible crab trap pieces (marker 2) 
      Future..........AQ hunt area ........markers 1 to 2..and slope for deep gold in chest deep....from Markers 1 to 3. Gold ring found between Marker 2 and 3 bottom of slope...I feel sand on the slope holds gold for the pattern of this area most gold is found in the deep sand slope.......coins in the flat...........
      (Most of the bad targets are marked, holes dug and not filled on bad targets) Good for about two weeks, July 20th...... I can tell when I start to dig these targets for the consistency of the sand is different, softer.
      Be back to this beach when the water levels drop, things don't change much there unless major winds. Headed to another spot Saturday to get a damage report.

• By Aaron
      I almost passed this one by, but fortunately stepped back to investigate. Glad I did....
      Unfortunately I thought I was recording when I found the rind and I wasn’t 😭 I promise I’ll get it right week!

Thanks for watching!
      Aaron
    • By Compass
      As other members here have observed, we had a little sand movement at some local beaches. I didn't know that when I drove down with my TDI BeachHunter the first night but I knew the tides were favorable so I was hoping for some recent drops, at least. When I got down to the wet sand, the moonlight allowed to see some small cuts in the beach with some nicely angled slopes highlighted with streaks of black sand.
      Shortly after turning the detector on I started hitting targets with about every other step. I was digging so much trash that I started thinking that a non-pulse detector might have been a better choice. However, I was finding a few lead sinkers and clad coins and within the first hour I scooped out a nice sized men's ring which looked like the right color and felt good in my hand. A short time later I added a beautifully blackened silver band to cap off a relatively short but productive hunt.

In my car I was able to make out a "14K" stamp on the gold ring. 
      On the second night I picked up right where I left off the night before. I stayed with the TDI even though I knew that I would be digging lots of trash. I just love the way it belts out a tone on even small targets and soon dug a "soft" sounding signal that turned out to a medium sized gold chain that was stiffened from the time spent in the elements, an apparent sign of a lower carat chain. Over the next 6 hours I was digging non-stop finding lots of clad coinage, trash and jewelry although most of the jewelry was costume jewelry with a few pieces of silver in the mix. I had found 6 rings by this time but all were junk save one thin, wire silver ring.
      The sun had risen, the tide was rising, people were starting to show up and my second battery pack was nearing the end of its charge so I started working my way up the coast towards my car. Walking through areas I had hunted earlier in the dark I was finding a few more targets here and there and acquired a nice tone in the wet sand. A couple of quick scoops and I was staring at an unbelievably bright gold ring sticking out of the wet sand.
      Now I have found a lot of gold rings before but I don't know if any of them rivaled the sight I was currently witnessing. The color of the ring was impossibly rich and I could see that it was beautifully crafted. I was tempted to take a picture with my cell phone but there were so many people around that I decided against it. I picked it up (felt glorious in my hand) and calmly put it into my zippered pouch. I dug one more target before my battery died, a "SOG" multi-purpose tool which was still in pretty decent shape.
      The third hunt was pretty uneventful  as the sand had filled back in pretty noticeably. Another St. Christopher medal and small tungsten ring were the best of it.

As you can see in the last picture, the ring is stamped "21K" which is almost 90 percent pure gold. It and the gold ring from the night before weigh about 7 grams each. The gold chain weighs a little over 6 grams and was challenging to clean. Oxidation occurred on the back of each link where soldering had, apparently, taken place. Perhaps a hand made chain??? It also had a couple of knots that were frozen in place. 10K gold often becomes brittle after being in salt water for some time and sure enough, I snapped off about 2 inches from one end while trying to loosen up the links.
      Sorry for the lengthy post but thanks for reading! GL&HH!