My Grandfather’s Old Pocket Knife

I found this in April of May of this year. I cleaned it, my brother put it on the grinder, and showed it to my dad. It looked shiny then, but since it darked and starting to chip. My dad looked at it and said it was probably my grandfather who had lost it in the 1980s doing yard work. He used to wear old jeans and maybe fell out of his pocket. My dad told me used to clean his pipe with this knife. My grandfather had passed in September of 2018, so I never got to show or ask him. It is a Trim pocket knife by Bassett. It was made a producer of beauty products I believe and my grandfather ran his own barber shop. I believe he got it through that business. It will never be like new, but it holds sentimental value. I only wish I could have showed him.

161F295B-7700-4533-B413-4CCE078B2F13.jpeg

D2515349-1B4B-4C3E-9B88-CC9923790E62.jpeg

D0C87EFD-C7D4-458E-8EBB-E0252C8D6540.jpeg

ED8A7114-EE6A-4D9D-AAFE-83E1A82EBDAA.jpeg

• Like 8

Can't get a better find than that. 

Treasure,

You found a good memory.  Searching places where you and your relatives have lived will reward you in that way.

I remember those little knives.  I think they would be sitting in bowls at stores.  They were a cheap little multi-tool you put on your key chain.  Everyone was always cleaning their fingernails but few people get their hands dirty these days.

If you really get into coins and relics you'll do a bit on research on when the house was built, the neighborhood and find the first parks so you can go to all of those places.  Your town or neighborhood might have an historical society or library where you can see what was there in the past.

Mitchel

49 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Treasure,

You found a good memory.  Searching places where you and your relatives have lived will reward you in that way.

I remember those little knives.  I think they would be sitting in bowls at stores.  They were a cheap little multi-tool you put on your key chain.  Everyone was always cleaning their fingernails but few people get their hands dirty these days.

If you really get into coins and relics you'll do a bit on research on when the house was built, the neighborhood and find the first parks so you can go to all of those places.  Your town or neighborhood might have an historical society or library where you can see what was there in the past.

Mitchel

Hi, thank you. I have bought one of the knives since I found this I put it on my car keys. The yard I found it in is my own. My grandfather bought the rental property in 1980 and must have lost it planting trees or lawn work. I am getting into detecting a lot these days. The house was built in 1940, and if you see my other posts, their are a few finds. I will look into places near me to find more treasure! 

• Like 1

I assume your first picture isn't the one you found but rather a similar one that hasn't been in the ground?  That company made several different nail trimmers.  I have a lot of hand-me-downs and some that were mine originally.  I don't know if they are still in existence.  They used to have 'made in USA' or just 'USA' inscribed in them.  Eventually not....

Certainly the value of a find varies a lot more than simply the cash value.  Memories can be priceless.  Good to see that one has special meaning to you.

When I go out West detecting I drive my vehicle loaded down with camping, detecting, and other equipment.  I decided to try and take at least one thing that either belonged to or was given me by relatives, living and deceased.  I have items from three grandparents, my parents, my father-in-law, my mother-in-law, at least two of my uncles, one of my aunts -- all of them are no longer around.  It's comforting to remember those who shaped us.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I assume your first picture isn't the one you found but rather a similar one that hasn't been in the ground?  That company made several different nail trimmers.  I have a lot of hand-me-downs and some that were mine originally.  I don't know if they are still in existence.  They used to have 'made in USA' or just 'USA' inscribed in them.  Eventually not....

Certainly the value of a find varies a lot more than simply the cash value.  Memories can be priceless.  Good to see that one has special meaning to you.

When I go out West detecting I drive my vehicle loaded down with camping, detecting, and other equipment.  I decided to try and take at least one thing that either belonged to or was given me by relatives, living and deceased.  I have items from three grandparents, my parents, my father-in-law, my mother-in-law, at least two of my uncles, one of my aunts -- all of them are no longer around.  It's comforting to remember those who shaped us.

Yes the first picture is of the one I bought just like it. I believe they closed in 2012, and the one I bought is made in USA. Well said at the end. I will remember that next time I go on a trip. I use some of the things I inherited from my grandfather who just passed. 

• Like 1