First let me say new to this website. And thanks for having me. Hello to all.

My AQ question is can I tell the depth of the Target by the strength of the tone. 

Does the strength of the get weaker as the target gets deeper. On equal sized targets

Thanks Gman

Yes,  the audio is modulated, the stronger the target’s return signal, the greater the audio intensity. The strength of the return signal depends on the target characteristics including the distance from the coil (depth) composition, form factor and mass.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! To the forum..

Yes, deep targets are just a glitter ...as your getting closer.... they get stronger and stronger. Also I am still learning but you can size, and shape out the targets. The only one's that throw me off are shallow, but lifting the coil does help and Using the edge of the coil can be a big help on sizing shallows also.

From air testing and experience I can just about tell how deep a target was once out of the sand. From the size and the very first signal I got..

Shallow micro targets will throw you off, but a kick of the sand or one scoop will tell you if there will be more scoops.

What machine are you using now and how..water..sand?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gman said:

First let me say new to this website. And thanks for having me. Hello to all.

My AQ question is can I tell the depth of the Target by the strength of the tone. 

Does the strength of the get weaker as the target gets deeper. On equal sized targets

Thanks Gman

Yes and no
a 1 gr gold ring
and a 20 gr gold signet ring
at the acquisition limit, in identical / compact sand
will give exactly the same signal
the only difference will be the depth .....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

LE.JAG, Am I correct that you mean that the difference in mass of the light and the heavy ring is what makes the signal of each of them have the same amplitude at the limit of detection, but that the limit of detection of the light ring is a much shallower depth than the limit of detection of the heavy one?

That is a good concrete illustration of the fact that the audio level is a factor of the strength of the signal and that signal strength is a function of several factors and that depth of the target is only one of them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses.

I'm hoping for the tells on the modulation as well.  It is certainly a helpful feature of a good detector to let you interrogate your target before, during and after you dig it.  It makes for a better learning experience going into the next targets.  It produces detector memory (mental memory, muscle memory) which gives us the feeling we're on to something good.

Modulation just happens to be what I consider to be a weak spot of the Equinox 800 I have.  (I never felt that way about the 3030 or  Explorer SE Pro)  I'm still surprised sometimes by the mass of some targets.  I can sometimes anticipate the target by tracing the size but not always.

Mitchel

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

(I never felt that way about the 3030

Especially with volume gain at 25 and target trace on...I want to go back with it in the two spots I hunted with the Tdi last week and re-check the area faster.

4 gold rings already pulled out but losing lot of time and batteries means probably other good stuff in the area to be retrieved with some discrimination help.

1 hour ago, Rick Kempf said:

LE.JAG, Am I correct that you mean that the difference in mass of the light and the heavy ring is what makes the signal of each of them have the same amplitude at the limit of detection, but that the limit of detection of the light ring is a much shallower depth than the limit of detection of the heavy one?

That is a good concrete illustration of the fact that the audio level is a factor of the strength of the signal and that signal strength is a function of several factors and that depth of the target is only one of them.

Yes !

in other words
on perfect sound
if you don't see the ring
two scoop shot
you can hope the jackpot  :))

• Like 3

Thanks for all the feedback. That's good enough for me. Used to run the original whites PI machine. Also a sovereign and now a White's Beach Hunter. Can't wait to get my hands on the AQ