First let me say new to this website. And thanks for having me. Hello to all.

My AQ question is can I tell the depth of the Target by the strength of the tone. 

Does the strength of the get weaker as the target gets deeper. On equal sized targets

Thanks Gman

Yes,  the audio is modulated, the stronger the target’s return signal, the greater the audio intensity. The strength of the return signal depends on the target characteristics including the distance from the coil (depth) composition, form factor and mass.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! To the forum..

Yes, deep targets are just a glitter ...as your getting closer.... they get stronger and stronger. Also I am still learning but you can size, and shape out the targets. The only one's that throw me off are shallow, but lifting the coil does help and Using the edge of the coil can be a big help on sizing shallows also.

From air testing and experience I can just about tell how deep a target was once out of the sand. From the size and the very first signal I got..

Shallow micro targets will throw you off, but a kick of the sand or one scoop will tell you if there will be more scoops.

What machine are you using now and how..water..sand?

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Gman said:

First let me say new to this website. And thanks for having me. Hello to all.

My AQ question is can I tell the depth of the Target by the strength of the tone. 

Does the strength of the get weaker as the target gets deeper. On equal sized targets

Thanks Gman

Yes and no
a 1 gr gold ring
and a 20 gr gold signet ring
at the acquisition limit, in identical / compact sand
will give exactly the same signal
the only difference will be the depth .....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

LE.JAG, Am I correct that you mean that the difference in mass of the light and the heavy ring is what makes the signal of each of them have the same amplitude at the limit of detection, but that the limit of detection of the light ring is a much shallower depth than the limit of detection of the heavy one?

That is a good concrete illustration of the fact that the audio level is a factor of the strength of the signal and that signal strength is a function of several factors and that depth of the target is only one of them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses.

I'm hoping for the tells on the modulation as well.  It is certainly a helpful feature of a good detector to let you interrogate your target before, during and after you dig it.  It makes for a better learning experience going into the next targets.  It produces detector memory (mental memory, muscle memory) which gives us the feeling we're on to something good.

Modulation just happens to be what I consider to be a weak spot of the Equinox 800 I have.  (I never felt that way about the 3030 or  Explorer SE Pro)  I'm still surprised sometimes by the mass of some targets.  I can sometimes anticipate the target by tracing the size but not always.

Mitchel

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

(I never felt that way about the 3030

Especially with volume gain at 25 and target trace on...I want to go back with it in the two spots I hunted with the Tdi last week and re-check the area faster.

4 gold rings already pulled out but losing lot of time and batteries means probably other good stuff in the area to be retrieved with some discrimination help.

1 hour ago, Rick Kempf said:

LE.JAG, Am I correct that you mean that the difference in mass of the light and the heavy ring is what makes the signal of each of them have the same amplitude at the limit of detection, but that the limit of detection of the light ring is a much shallower depth than the limit of detection of the heavy one?

That is a good concrete illustration of the fact that the audio level is a factor of the strength of the signal and that signal strength is a function of several factors and that depth of the target is only one of them.

Yes !

in other words
on perfect sound
if you don't see the ring
two scoop shot
you can hope the jackpot  :))

• Like 3

Thanks for all the feedback. That's good enough for me. Used to run the original whites PI machine. Also a sovereign and now a White's Beach Hunter. Can't wait to get my hands on the AQ

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Yellowstone
      Got a desert trip planned in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone (Steve especially) has had a chance to test out the AQ for nuggets?  I got mine at the end of September and it has already paid for itself in beach finds, including my first platinum ring ever, a 25.2 gram monster.
      I know it's not designed for prospecting, but was thinking about taking along it to play around.  I did air test a 2.0 gram gold/quartz nugget with Pulse Delay of 7, max sensitivity and minimum ATS and it was a solid hit at 5" and broke the threshold at 7".  For each 1/2 increase of Pulse Delay, I lost about an inch or so.
      If anyone has field experience, I would like to know your results.  I will relay actual findings (if any) after I get back.
      Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
      John
    • By schoolofhardNox
      So the tides were decent enough on my days off to try again for some gold with the AQ or GPX. Since my beaches will not relent with the sanding in, I decided to try another strategy. Day one was split between the AQ for low tide and the GPX for deep silver. With the beach heavily sanded at low tide, all I could do was get some junk jewelry with the AQ. The GPX scored 3 silvers using the monster 18"DD Detech coil. It must have been a sight watching this guy struggle with that coil while holding a side stick and a big spade shovel 😄 The GPX wins that day. But... Day two was raining, so the GPX loses by default ... tough luck GPX (needs to be waterproof, hint, hint) So all day long I used the AQ at another beach which has a decent low tide. But as usual around here, it was sanded in more than ever. Low tide produced very few targets, just 3 zinc cents, some small junk jewelry and bottle caps. It looked like a wasted trip. But I wandered around all over, from high to low tide looking for a break. I knew that the rings were out of reach by the level of the sand against a breaker wall, so I decided to look for small jewelry in hopes of finding a gold stud or even a charm. No luck until I hit a small slope. By this time I had put gold out of my mind and just wanted to dig for the rest of the day. I used the all metal mode exclusively, just to boost the number of targets. I did get a lot of iron and bottle caps but then it happened. I got gold!!!!! No, not Joe or Mitchel kind of gold, 🙄 but more like anything I can get will do gold. So a small prayer necklace pendant shows up. I could tell it was gold right away. 10k it is...my FIRST gold with the AQ. I could now relax. So I started to grid this area carefully and a little while later I got a hit and could see a small bit of the target I thought was going to be a small silver earring.  But it turned out to be a 10k diamond studded Ankh symbol. Looks like a cross with a loop at the top. It's used in ancient Egypt, representing the symbol of life. Gorgeous little piece and my SECOND gold with the AQ. I was in shock. So I start to look around as I am getting back up and about 3 feet from that target I can visually see pieces of a gold rope chain sticking out of the sand. In my moment of professionalism, I tried every combination on the AQ to better find chains......... Actually I just grabbed that thing as fast as I could 😂 So I haven't tried the AQ to see if it actually would pick the chain up or not. But technically not my THIRD gold of the day since it is .925 with 1/12 10K overlay. I think they call that Vermeil. My bad day turned real good, real fast. I hunted a while longer and called it a day.  Thank you AQ for hitting that first gold target and making me stay in that area!

• By mn90403
      I received my AQ yesterday afternoon.  I put the battery on charger and about an hour later it was fully charged.  After some scrambling around to get out of my apartment I hit the beach on an incoming tide.  I went to an area where I had seen beach PI holes before and decided to give it a try.  As you can see it was not a productive location except for the eCig cartridges which I got 3 of them.  They were deep and the sound was high.
      I started out in everything preset as the Quick Start suggests.  I didn't know what it was going to sound like but it is a higher pitch than I normally listen to.  The waves were making some noise as I was mostly in ankle deep but sometimes knee deep water.  The headphones were comfortable for the 3 hours I was out.  I didn't have a coin for the first 1.5 hours.  I've never had so many bottle caps but I don't hunt this area of the beach.  My deepest target was about 20 inches and was the bottom of the can.  I couldn't find one target at 24" and still digging.  At the end of 2 hours I decided to 'experiment' with going down a notch on frequency delay.  Then on the way back to my start I switched to tone mode.  That was when I heard a 'weird' low tone and when I dug it it was a dime.
      When I first started I had put my cell phone in my top pocket and on the 3rd dig hole it dropped in mud.  Now I have a finicky cell phone that doesn't want to charge properly.  I ordered another BLU phone to replace it. 
      When I put the two shafts together and tried the length I thought it was going to be too long.  It would be if it was a heavy unit but I was able to use the first notch with the push out pin but this would not be good for my wife.  I would suggest that the pin be moved on the lower shaft and also make it shorter.
      It is going to be a learning curve to find a beach that is PI 'friendly' which means that it holds deep jewelry/gold and not just deep trash.
      Mitchel

• By tvr
      Low water at the local hole today. Low enough that I had wet sand to do some testing with. I can call fish hooks well in the wet sand in all metal ... but not well in the water where I don't have the same ability to change coil speed like over the wet sand. Got lots of lead today, not too many fish hooks other than those attached to rigs with lead or with brass swivels. A couple of deep nickles, one really deep spark plug and one junk child's ring. Was chest deep over a target that sounded really good ... and the battery died. Didn't pack the second one because I had to take care of some other things today, so it was my alarm clock to head home ... and enough of a work out in the shape I'm in. A bit sore this evening, but it is a good sore.
      Cheers,
      tvr

• By cuniagau
      It took me 4 short hunts to finally run the battery down.  Total run time was approximately 11 hours and 35 minutes.  That sure beat the 3 1/2 from the factory battery.  I ran about 95% of the time in AM and only switched to Tone or Mute to check targets. Running mostly presets on the other settings.  The audio of certain targets is starting to become inbedded in my brain now.  Nickels are easy to recognize now.