Only A Comparison Using A Low Pulse Delay AQ Qed

Those impressive video results of the Fisher Impulse AQ with its 12.5” mono coil  on the 10K Gold ring at 17”-18” and 14K Gold ring at 19”-20” as did a 22K Gold ring drove my curiousity to air test two Gold rings using a QED in its Beach Mode-11 operating at its pulse delay of 7.5uS with a NF 12” Advantage mono coil.

For my test, the QED’s settings were Threshold-B at 5 below Null and Factory Default for Threshold-A at 30 and Gain at 1.

(Threshold-A settings range from a 1 up to 90 and the Gain settings range from 1 up to 10}

The results for a clear response on a 3.04-gram 9K 21mm diameter Gold ring was 17” and on a 2.05-gram 18K 19mm diameter Gold ring was 16”.

I have no idea how a QED using its Beach Mode would operate within a Beach environment and my intention is not to compare in anyway the QED to the Fisher Impulse AQ only results using a pulse delay of 7.5uS.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, goldenoldie said:

I have no idea how a QED using its Beach Mode would operate within a Beach environment

Interesting to know other machines are available with so low pulse delay...However, with my tdi, minimum of 10uS is only stable on the wetsand.

If you go in the saltwater, sooner or later you'll find mandatory to raise up to 20uS to find an acceptable in-ear noise level🤐...

Qed not submersible and NF coils too if I'm correct, mean that You can try it on the beach far enough from waves and should be fine at 7.5uS.

• Like 1

I believe that Le_Jag on one of the last IMPULSE AQ V2 prototype, the pulse delay is at 5.5 µs on wet sand but it will be necessary to ask him, I do not remember. (I believe that at 6µs it is very stable.)

We can improve between 3 and 4 inches for the 18k 2.5grs rings with the new experimental IMPULSE AQ systems.

But with Le_Jag we came to the conclusion that we can no longer dig, gaining numbers of holes vs finds is not in our favor.

• Like 1

I think that Alexandre’s last line (fresh out of Google translate probably) is a reflection of the fact that digging earring backs, foil bits, tiny pellets of melted aluminum bonfire trash is a total waste of time.

The AQ is for serious HUNTERS - folks who expect to find gold in serious quantity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 1:48 AM, Skullgolddiver said:

Interesting to know other machines are available with so low pulse delay...However, with my tdi, minimum of 10uS is only stable on the wetsand.

If you go in the saltwater, sooner or later you'll find mandatory to raise up to 20uS to find an acceptable in-ear noise level🤐...

Qed not submersible and NF coils too if I'm correct, mean that You can try it on the beach far enough from waves and should be fine at 7.5uS.

First of all thanks Steve H for moving my thread to the correct Forum and discussion.

Yes Skullgolddiver the QED is definitely not submersible including the coil.

As far as I know this is the only video of a QED operating over wet salty sand at a Beach environment although this is an earlier PL1 version that may not of had the Beach Mode included.. The operator does not mention what settings and if it had or was being used in Beach Mode which operates without the use of a Ground Balance. Therefore he may of been operating using one of the QED's other Modes which allows you to Ground Balance to the ground conditions so the QED PL3 in my test if set for example in Mode 10, which operates at 12.5uS, then the distance on the 9K & 18K Gold rings drops by around 6" to 7".   

• Like 3

Just in regards to the QED's Beach Mode which operates without a Ground Balance then it appears the Fisher Impulse AQ also operates without the use of a Ground Balance.

Thanks phrunt for the info at the beach, be it only a brief try on wet and dry sand with your QED set in Beach Mode 11 and then able to have the Gain set way up in its highest 10 setting with the 11' mono coil..

However, as you say it was not a black sand beach although at a guess NZ would have many black type sand beaches to test the QED out on to see if Beach Mode would handle such conditions.

Now In regard to the Beach Mode default pulse delay being at 7.5uS apparently further delay is added to that default delay based on the Ground Balance number. That is, the smaller the Ground Balance number then the pulse delay is closer to 7.5uS and the higher the Ground Balance number then the delay is incrementally more than 7.5uS.

I assume due to your mild soils there would be little difference in the Ground Balance numbers for all the other Modes from 1 to 10 so what would your manual Ground Balance ( MGB) number reading be when you Ground Balance to your ground before you switch your QED into Beach Mode?

On 6/30/2020 at 1:52 AM, phrunt said:

The QED isn't a beach detector, beach mode is just ground balance disabled which is my favourite mode for our mild NZ soils for prospecting.

Keep in mind that many of the most popular PI beach detectors sold for decades had/have no ground balance. They generally rely on the lower pulse delay anywhere from 10 uS to 20 uS to act as an inherent salt and ground canceling setup, with threshold autotune doing the rest. The White’s Surf Dual and Garrett Sea Hunter, for instance, do not ground balance.

• Like 1