Joe Beechnut OBN

Excalibur Gold...#56 For The Year 14.74 Gram

Man that's a honker!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

Great find Joe,

I hope you have your shark deterrent on! That's a long way out to get any help!😬

I don't know if they really work! The detector may overpower any wearable deterrent!!  Or if detectors attract, or repel them! There is some evidence that PI's can attract sharks from up to a nautical mile away, and cause them to be aggressive! But there is info going both ways!🦈👍👍

• Like 1

Ah the Excalibur is still such a good workhorse.......hopefully my horse will be up and running soon.....thanks to Joe 👍

Nice chunk of gold too !

• Like 1

Great find!

Norm

• Like 1

Beautiful find Joe- congrats! Must have been down there a while to be in such great condition.

• Like 1

Nice hunt to find that and hope things get better for you.

• Like 1

I don't quite get your terminology but I get your results!  Well done.

If this is #56 for this year how many is it for your career?  

Mitchel

• Like 1

Nice heavy ring Joe! I know your Excalibur is really hot but is it just custom earphones and a different coil or have some of the electronic components been changed too? Thanks

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Compass
      As other members here have observed, we had a little sand movement at some local beaches. I didn't know that when I drove down with my TDI BeachHunter the first night but I knew the tides were favorable so I was hoping for some recent drops, at least. When I got down to the wet sand, the moonlight allowed to see some small cuts in the beach with some nicely angled slopes highlighted with streaks of black sand.
      Shortly after turning the detector on I started hitting targets with about every other step. I was digging so much trash that I started thinking that a non-pulse detector might have been a better choice. However, I was finding a few lead sinkers and clad coins and within the first hour I scooped out a nice sized men's ring which looked like the right color and felt good in my hand. A short time later I added a beautifully blackened silver band to cap off a relatively short but productive hunt.

In my car I was able to make out a "14K" stamp on the gold ring. 
      On the second night I picked up right where I left off the night before. I stayed with the TDI even though I knew that I would be digging lots of trash. I just love the way it belts out a tone on even small targets and soon dug a "soft" sounding signal that turned out to a medium sized gold chain that was stiffened from the time spent in the elements, an apparent sign of a lower carat chain. Over the next 6 hours I was digging non-stop finding lots of clad coinage, trash and jewelry although most of the jewelry was costume jewelry with a few pieces of silver in the mix. I had found 6 rings by this time but all were junk save one thin, wire silver ring.
      The sun had risen, the tide was rising, people were starting to show up and my second battery pack was nearing the end of its charge so I started working my way up the coast towards my car. Walking through areas I had hunted earlier in the dark I was finding a few more targets here and there and acquired a nice tone in the wet sand. A couple of quick scoops and I was staring at an unbelievably bright gold ring sticking out of the wet sand.
      Now I have found a lot of gold rings before but I don't know if any of them rivaled the sight I was currently witnessing. The color of the ring was impossibly rich and I could see that it was beautifully crafted. I was tempted to take a picture with my cell phone but there were so many people around that I decided against it. I picked it up (felt glorious in my hand) and calmly put it into my zippered pouch. I dug one more target before my battery died, a "SOG" multi-purpose tool which was still in pretty decent shape.
      The third hunt was pretty uneventful  as the sand had filled back in pretty noticeably. Another St. Christopher medal and small tungsten ring were the best of it.

As you can see in the last picture, the ring is stamped "21K" which is almost 90 percent pure gold. It and the gold ring from the night before weigh about 7 grams each. The gold chain weighs a little over 6 grams and was challenging to clean. Oxidation occurred on the back of each link where soldering had, apparently, taken place. Perhaps a hand made chain??? It also had a couple of knots that were frozen in place. 10K gold often becomes brittle after being in salt water for some time and sure enough, I snapped off about 2 inches from one end while trying to loosen up the links.
      Sorry for the lengthy post but thanks for reading! GL&HH! 
    • By The Seeker
      But luckily a gold one, 14k. I got up today for an early low tide hunt. I got to the beach at 1am and started my hunt with a buddy. An hour plus into the hunt and all we had was just aluminum and a couple of pennies even though we were covering from the mid upper slope to the waters edge of a negative tide. Since things weren’t looking good I decided to just cover a 10 foot wide section crossing between the damp and wet sand. About and hour later I dug this 14k beauty with real diamonds. I gridded that area and found nothing else in that section.  The rest of the hunt was uneventful but my mission was accomplished so I was happy.  Thanks for reading and good luck out there.

• By Bash
      A few weeks ago, inspired by some threads in the jewelry forum, I started shifting my focus from cherry picking coins, to digging possible jewelry signals using the Equinox 800.  I actually started finding some, as shown in the first picture below.  I was becoming a little frustrated, as (with the exception of one tiny silver ring), all I was finding was “crap” jewelry. 

That changed this morning.  It’s been getting wicked hot here in Montana, so I’ve been out in the parks early.  I was in one of the main city parks this morning (A park I’ve pulled a ton of coins out of, including a couple of Mercs and a war nickel), searching a different section away from the stage area where they have concerts, etc., when I got a solid 18/19 signal, consistent in all directions. I’ve dug many, many signals in this range, and most turn out to be some sort of can tab, but those signals have always been kind of "janky" and change or disappear with the direction of the swing.  This one did not. I pinpointed. I dug.  The target was right at the bottom of the plug. A glint of gold!  I popped it out with my finger to reveal my first gold find!  4.74 grams of 10k plain gold band, with a current melt value of almost $125.00!

Yes, I did a gold dance!

This one find helped codify what signals I could/should/might be looking for.  I know it’s not the end all be all, but the signal was SO strong and clear compared to all the aluminum tabs I’ve dug, the contrast was revelatory.  I feel I’ve made a huge leap in understanding.

The ring has an inscription and a date from 20 years ago, so I think I will put a craigslist ad in lost and found.

Still a noob.

~Bash

• By cuniagau
      I was approached by a young man (wearing a mask) today on the beach that I was metal detecting on.  He ask me if my metal detector could find a medallion that he had lost when his chain had broken.  He then said it was gold.  I told him that gold was what I was looking for on the beach and said,  Let's go find it.  He and his buddies had been tossing a football around and that was when his gold chain had broken and the medallion had dropped into the dry sand and disappeared.  I said, "I hope this is your lucky day".  Two minutes later I ask his if it was "Jesus on the cross". He said "yes" and I handed it back to him.  It took all of about 5 minutes of my time and made his day.  I love this hobby!

• By Aaron
      Last Monday I thought I’d ry out my new waterproof GoPro 8 Black at the lake, and ended up leaking, so much for being water proof. 😡 So anyway I ended loosing my video. I ended finding a nice old gold signet ring, not too deep, and a big tungsten, alotta clad, some aluminum ect. That tungsten ring was DEEEEEP! The guy who lost it must been a big dude, it’s a big ring. Those crummy rings are so heavy it’s no wonder their always at least a foot deep! Check out the link for more pics.https://forums.tarsaccisales.com/forum/5/last-mondaysome-gold-and-tungsten
      Thanks looking....Aaron 

• By Joe Beechnut OBN
      Had some great winds, zero, .......smooth water, .........and fairly good tide. In the water about 3 hours, could not had been better.
      Other then the boats and jetski's , seemed everyone want to cruise close to shore, three times I had to flag them past. 
      Two gold rings, 8 silver Washington's...