GM1000 Falsing Comparison

I just picked up my Gold Monster 1000. The first one had a low volume issue and was replaced by the dealer. The second one appears to suffer from bump falsing. This may be due to lack of experience with the machine. I used it for the last 2 days and was able to find some really small gold which is awesome. It did a falsed badly with the small coil and some with the large coil during those 2 days.  I tested it when I got home by holding starting it and ground balancing it in a clear location. Using the small coil. It falsed badly in 10 and 9 less in 7 and 8 and barely in 6.  The issue is not as bad with the large coil.  I then held the small coil up in the air and tested for falsing. The issue was still there but 10 was more like the setting of 7 when grounded.  I moved the cable while in the air and there was no falsing. I used my scoop to tap the coil and cable so my hand wouldn't effect the result. I have generally concluded that the issue is due to high sensitivity setting more than coil or software issues. 

I would like to verify this by comparing my machine to another.  Some other users could do the same test and see what your results are. This would give us a baseline for what a GM1000 should perform like. 

Test procedure

Turn on and balance on clear ground at setting manual 10 or highest possible manual setting with small coil.

tap coil lightly with scoop or something that wont be detectable.

Reduce sensitivity until falsing is a non issue.

Record this setting 

Then perform same test in the air and record that setting. 

Post results on this thread

My results would be Grounded 6. In the air 9 or possibly 10.

This will obviously vary due to the ground you have and how hard you tap the coil, so the more tests we have the more accurate the data will be. Thanks

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This is completely normal for the Gold Monster, and even the Equinox with the gain too high.  If you're in the Auto modes it's less likely to happen as it adjusts the sensitivity so the machine is handing the ground well, if it handles the ground well it doesn't have bump sensitivity.  If you're well ground balanced it's far less likely to happen too so make sure you pump the coil until it goes quiet.

The GM is a very sensitive machine, the slightest movement of the coil cable causes it to go off too so make sure you strap your cable to the shaft, for some stupid reason ML don't include a strap with the GM, that's just weird.

If you want to run in manual 10 you'll have to have either mild soil or good coil control, otherwise leave it in Auto or Auto+ or run in a manual mode that gives you minimal bump sensitivity.

Thats what I figured, I havent had much time on the machine and its the most sensitive detector I have ever owned.  Thanks

Bill is totally awesome and is a real hoot to be with. What he says for his hunting style and conditions can be considered the gospel truth.

Jeff

Thanks for the vid Simon,

First time I've watched Bill! He's great! Even though i don't have a GM, i still got some very good information! I'm going to have to subscribe to his vids!👍👍