Detecting With The Vanquish 340

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

So the bottom-of-the-line, most affordable, beginner detector doesn't have a pinpoint function?

That is correct. Think Tesoro Compadre or Silver Micro Max or even the Tek Minuteman (awesome detectors by the way) with simultaneous multi frequencies, 3 detect modes, 3 tones, a display, outstandingly reliable numerical target ID on shallow AND deep targets, volume control, depth meter and saltwater beach capabilities.............

See why I don't miss the pinpoint function much on the Vanquish 340?

• Like 3

Thanks for the clarification, Jeff.  What surprises me is that the lowest cost and probably best for a newbie (whether s/he's the one making the purchase or borrowing from a seasoned vet) doesn't have a feature that seems like something that would make it easier for someone new to the game to get off on the right foot.  I agree that more experienced detectorists (such as yourself) have developed multiple pinpoint methods which they quite possibly prefer.

I did a little surfing and found the following comparisons:

Garrett Ace Series (originals) 150, 250, 350 -- similar to the Vanquish, the 150 doesn't have a pinpoint feature but the others do.

Garrett Ace Series (upgraded) 200, 300, 400 -- same thing -- pinpoint only on the two more expensive / higher end models.

Minelab X-Terra (upgraded from 30, 50, 70) 305, 505, 705 -- all three have a pinpoint function.

Fisher F11, F22, F44 -- all three have a pinpoint function.

I don't know if the X-Terra line can be considered low cost when they were released (in the same ballpark as the other three above, that is).  It's been argued that the Vanquish's target (competitor) detector is the Garrett Ace Series so maybe that was Minelab's thinking.  Of course they want you to buy a more expensive model.  (No need for me to go into that anymore, at least I'll save my typing on this subject.)

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

...simultaneous multi frequencies, 3 detect modes, 3 tones, a display, outstandingly reliable numerical target ID on shallow AND deep targets, volume control, depth meter and saltwater beach capabilities.............

See why I don't miss the pinpoint function much on the Vanquish 340?

Definitely understand where you're coming from there, Jeff -- lotta features and performance packed into a low cost product.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

What is odd is everyone including myself prefers jewellery mode.  It other than All metal are the only modes I use.  There is something magical about jewellery mode especially on the small NZ silver coins.   I have the 540 and I use pinpoint mode all the time, mainly because it doesn't have that same weird problem that the Equinox has with it's pinpoint mode volume glitch so I like using it.  It does it sometimes, but very rarely.  My Nox does it almost every time I use pinpoint.   The Vanquish seems to have a cut and paste firmware from the Equinox with a few modifications to suit the new design and to disable some features but you can tell it's heavily based off the Equinox firmware.

Dollar-for-dollar, the V-340 is a pretty surprising value.  That said, I own and use a couple of V-540 Pro Pack units and they, too, are quite a value in the industry.  No 'perfect' detector out there so I own and use what is reasonably affordable that provides me with ample adjustment function but without a lot of fluff.  I use the Pinpoint mode quite often in certain locations, such as a grassy park, etc.  Yes, it has that volume glitch, but not as bad as the EQ-800 I owned a couple of months ago.

I use my 'Custom' mode on each V-540 I have, using the Relic mode with the 2nd Vanquish that keeps the 9X12 DD mounted because it has a slightly slower recovery rate and works somewhat similar to a 'Deep' or 'Boost' mode on some models where a slower sweep-speed helps enhance good-target detection of deeper-located targets.

My main-use V-540's Custom program is based on the Jewelry mode to benefit from it's quick-response and fast-recovery that might be just a wee bit slower than the Coin mode.  Also to rely on my preferred Discrimination setting of Accepting all but the first two Notch Segments.  That's a little more than the Jewelry mode accepts which is all non-ferrous range segments.

On that model I like the Jewelry mode's recovery speed, allowing the extra notches to let me work in and around more ferrous debris, and I really like the 5X8 DD that stays mounted full-time.

Monte

• Like 4

I have to agree with GBs basic thought here that “beginner” detectors should come with features for beginners, and a pinpoint function is a biggie. Do we need more beginners making a mess of parks getting us banned? A pinpoint function would help prevent that. Yet it has always been treated as a “pay to play” upgrade feature.

That said I find a pinpoint function for me to be more of a “sizing” feature as I pinpoint just fine without. Sprinkler heads, for instance, can beep good, but pinpoint reveals them for the oversized target they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have to agree with GBs basic thought here that “beginner” detectors should come with features for beginners, and a pinpoint function is a biggie. Do we need more beginners making a mess of parks getting us banned? A pinpoint function would help prevent that. Yet it has always been treated as a “pay to play” upgrade feature.

That said I find a pinpoint function for me to be more of a “sizing” feature as I pinpoint just fine without. Sprinkler heads, for instance, can beep good, but pinpoint reveals them for the oversized target they are.

Actually I recommended a few weeks ago the Vanquish 340 to a beginner , 15 years old. He had just a little experience with a bounty hunter . In fact the pb for him when he started with the 340 was not the target poinpointing , he did very well without it , but rather the Vanquish audio which "talks" a lot compared to his bounty hunter, particularly on high iron trash areas . He was a little disappointed with the Vanquish I just told him to wait a dozen hours so that he gets used to its audio. Now he likes it,  he uses it for 1st WW war relics hunting and he has already found a very nice german prussian buckle. Will add a pic in this post later ..  He goes in woods , with moderate/medium iron trashed soils ,  in such areas the 340 is excellent ... 

• Like 2

And as promised the pic of the German 1st WW buckle found by my friend Kevin ( 15 years old ) and his Vanquish 340 ... Btw in an area where they were US troops during 1918 , fighting with the French against the Germans ... 

DSC02449.JPG

• Like 4

On 6/29/2020 at 6:29 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Nice report... I think the Vanquish 340 is perhaps the best detecting value on the market right now, along with the Simplex for people who need waterproof. It would be fun to see a Simplex vs 340 shootout.

I'm thinking this is a good second machine for us Nox 800 noobies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phillips_R said:

I'm thinking this is a good second machine for us Nox 800 noobies.

Actually I think that the 340 can even be a 1st machine because of its very high level of performances... And ML could improve it , for example with a new Vanquish 340+ adding wireless headphones compatibility , the only thing missing on the 340 to my opinion ...

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

Actually I think that the 340 can even be a 1st machine because of its very high level of performances... And ML could improve it , for example with a new Vanquish 340+ adding wireless headphones compatibility , the only thing missing on the 340 to my opinion ...

That's why there are 3 models.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

That's why there are 3 models.

Yes but the Vanquish 540 with the ML80 headphones ( total 540euros ) is a little expensive compared to its main competitor the Simplex+ at 400euros ...