Detecting With The Vanquish 340

50 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Yes but the Vanquish 540 with the ML80 headphones ( total 540euros ) is a little expensive compared to its main competitor the Simplex+ at 400euros ... 

You are comparing apples (340), oranges (540 PRO PACK) to bananas (Simplex+ with wireless headphones). With the pro pack 540 price you are also paying for the extra coil .  You can get a 540 (non pro pack) for about 440 Euro and that should be your point of comparison to the 340 and leave the Simplex out of the discussion entirely since wireless is built in and you are paying only for the additional wireless phones (which are proprietary and not bluetooth where you can get your own headphones at a much cheaper cost).  Since you can get cheaper BT headphones that the cost of what ML wants to sell them, then the Pro Pack price becomes somewhat of a red herring.

Saying the 340 is number 1, except it is just missing wireless audio is like saying the 600 is as good as the 800 if it only had gold mode.  The whole point is if you want the feature, you are going to have to pay for it but ML knows those features are nice or convenient, but not necessary.   I am sure ML is under-pricing the entry level of the line so they can get people to impulse buy the cheaper detector.  Those more discerning buyers start to realize the convenient features (pinpoint, wireless) that are missing and are drawn to the higher end of the line which is probably over priced in comparison.  It all evens out.  They sell more of the cheaper units to the impulse buyers and make an equivalent profit off the fewer sold higher end products with desirable features that don't exist in the bottom of the product line.

Anyway, welcome to tiered pricing and marketing.  Your wish is not going to be granted by Minelab because they have already decided what YOU will have to pay if you want wireless capability and don't hold your breath for it coming to the 340 or even 440 any time soon. Let's break this down.

First of all 340 vs. 440 > There is absolutely nothing physically different between these two detectors other than an additional button for pinpoint mode.  The 440 feature set basically just unlocks an additional search mode, additional volume controls, additional sensitivity controls, and additional notch segments.  None of that is hardware based.  Do you really think that justifies an 85 Euro difference?  (250 vs. 335 Euro?) Nope.

Now let's look at the 440 vs. 540 - The hardware differences are a larger coil and the addition of the wireless radio unit.  The other performance feature additions are just window dressing:  custom mode slot, iron bias switch, and additional volume, sensitivity, and notch segments vs. the 440.   The cost delta is 335 vs. 442 Euro.  Over 100 Euro for the larger coil and radio.  Let's assume most of that cost is borne by the addition of the radio.  Then you are talking between 150 to 185 Euro just to add the radio and account for the cost delta between the 340 and 440.  Is that worth it?  In other words, do you really believe ML would put a 340 plus with wireless radio in it out there for less than 150 Euro above the current cost - probably not.  So you might as well just get the 540 if you want wireless - because that is what ML wants you to do.  They dangle a very desirable feature and ONLY provide it in  their top end of the Vanquish line FOR A REASON.  Is it right, is it fair - probably not, but as far as ML is concerned it is business

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

plus with wireless radio in it out there for less than 150 Euro above the current cost - probably not.  So you might as well just get the 540 if you want wireless - because that is what ML wants you to do.  They dangle a very desirable feature and ONLY provide it in  their top end of the Vanquish line FOR A REASON.  Is it right, is it fair - probably not, but as far as ML is concerned it is business

Yes the wireless is a desirable feature,  I need it fo example when I detect with friends , in such conditions I need to have a silent machine so that  I do not upset them with my detector sounds  .. I just would have preferred to pay a little less for the wireless on my Vanquish ... 

On the other hand , it is always possible to add a wireless transmitter using the 1/8 jack connector of the 340, a Deteknics for example , probably for around 120 euros . A little more complex,so probably less reliable than the built in system however ...

But yes you are right we are always demanding for more and more for the money , however I must admit that the 340 at 240euros is a real bargain considering its top level performances , this even without the wireless ..I like the 340 it and I have already recommended it to other persons who are very happy with it ...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Yes the wireless is a desirable feature,  I need it fo example when I detect with friends , in such conditions I need to have a silent machine so that  I do not upset them with my detector sounds  .. I just would have preferred to pay a little less for the wireless on my Vanquish ... 

On the other hand , it is always possible to add a wireless transmitter using the 1/8 jack connector of the 340, a Deteknics for example , probably for around 120 euros . A little more complex,so probably less reliable than the built in system however ...

But yes you are right we are always demanding for more and more for the money , however I must admit that the 340 at 240euros is a real bargain considering its top level performances , this even without the wireless ..I like the 340 it and I have already recommended it to other persons who are very happy with it ...

It is a great bargain for what it does.  You can add wireless to it for probably about 30 Euros using a low latency BT transceiver module like these and your existing ML BT headphones.  Just another example of how we might be overcharged for these added features in higher end models.

• Thanks 1

VANQUISH 340 / ALL METAL MODE VS COIN AND JEWELLERY MODES :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I decided to go back to the previous field with the 340 ( see above ) . The situation has changed because
the field has been ploughed so easier to detect now. 

Usually I use the JEWELLERY mode and I only use the ALL METAL mode for identifying doubtful signals which usually
are big irons often at depth. 

This time I decided to test the ALL METAL mode. At the beginning I had some concern on this new audio with 
additional noise coming from the low tones irons. Eventually I get used to it very quickly and discovered 
that this ALL METAL mode is very interesting..

I found that the ALL METAL mode gives a more "natural" audio feeling of the ground contents than COIN or JEWELLERY. 
AM does not "cut" the iron signals like the COIN and JEWELLERY does. You get the direct output from the soil contents
without any discrimination filtering.

First plus it is very easy to identify big irons because they can be recognized almost immediately at the first sweep. 
When using the COIN or JEWEL mode it takes more time , you need to activate the AM button mode , then come back to the 
previous mode ..  

Second , hearing the irons strongly helps to notice a change in the soil iron trash density.
then to locate high iron trashed areas , which means human presence , then more interesting targets ..

Third , I have the feeling that the AM mode is better to find good targets among the ferrous trash than COIN or JEWELLLERY .  I will do more testing on that this summer ... 

Anyway during this outing I found 3 coins with the 340 / AM mode ; a modern aluminum coin dating from 1943 ,
and 2 older , a copper coin dating from the 16th , and a very small and thin copper coin dating from 
the 14th or 13th I think. I could not id the last coin because too corroded. 

Very happy again with these finds which confirms that the Vanquish is very sensible to tiny targets as well as 
bigger ones. Thanks to the MultiIQ .. 🙂

DSC02455.JPG

DSC02452.JPG

• Like 2