New Prospecting Gun

I’ve been sidelined without my prospecting rig for over a month, long story but the old 4.0 died and I’m waiting for a new engine being built by a shop back East. Chad Golen, of Golen Strokers is building a 4.6 stroker motor and a shop here in Vegas is putting it in and doing a bunch of other upgrades. While waiting with devils time on my hands I’ve been shopping for a little personal protection to pack with me on my excursions in the wilderness. I looked at a number of different guns and calibers and finally settled of a 10mm Glock 40 gen4 mos, this seemed to check a lot of boxes good for hunting in most states, very reliable, 15+1 rounds, been effective on bears in Alaska and lots of mods and upgrades are available. I just put a Trijicon SRO red dot on it and there’s a compensated KKM match barrel on order just for fun. I haven’t had a chance to take it out, hopefully I run a few rounds out of it tomorrow I picked up some defense hollow points and a 1000 rounds of federal 180 grain full jacket to plink with. I also picked up a really nice chest holster I hope will keep it far away enough from the 7000 it doesn’t give me problems? Anyone else carry a Glock or any other firearm with you out detecting, If you do carry will the coil pick it up has it affected your detector?

B521E7B7-E71E-4BF3-A5FB-5857FE014CB4.thumb.jpeg.8d653c57a5245b629ab4f803b7748d08.jpeg

6BBF9076-812E-464A-9762-6529C22F909A.thumb.jpeg.e282019a5c2bf9805535af973b2c54f9.jpeg

E5A021EA-7BDE-45ED-BFD5-76704A483132.thumb.png.194e0f45928e21b23f8eb13c8c5aad70.png

• Like 6

Nice weapon. I generally carry when out in the great outdoors. Depending on the perceived dangers in the area should dictate your caliber. That 10mm with the right load is almost 41 magnum power.  I carry a S&W Shield 40 in a  belt holster on the hip opposite my detector arm.  I run a gpx 4500 with  some big  coils and didn't experience interference but some guys that run the 7000 might let you in on what to expect.  Seeing how you have 16 rounds no need to carry extra mags.

• Like 1

Phrunt, you need to get a chest holster for it!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Haha 9

34 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Do you guys use bear spray for the bears?

Yes Simon we do, because mosquito spray just won't work on bears it only makes them mad if you get it in their eyes.

Bear spray and air horns for me to use on them and if that isn't enough then the guns.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

My GPZ didn’t have too many issues with my .40 but it is just under my ribs, higher than a drop leg or typical belt holster.

Heavy gun and I’ve only had to fire it once to warn a target shooter that I was down range. Sometimes I leave it at home but if it’s bear or wolf country I take it. Honestly a .22 or .38 would do just as well since it’s mostly to scare, not kill.

Regular cleaning is important. My last outing I probably collected a few ounces of dirt and mud in my gun since I was bushwhacking and we had some downpours.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Most places I go are pretty safe but a few locations I go to can be a bit risky, so I take some personal protection to them. 

Bushman.jpg.332bcbd4b085e90d1aa87b3845feec65.jpg

Unfortunately my coil does pick it up being a metal spray can so I need to keep it in my backpack with my lunch on the ground somewhere and go to my bag if I need it.  My wife told me it also comes in a tube with no metal, but I'm yet to find it at the local store.  I'll probably have to buy it online.

1401554913_Bushmantube.jpg.6f2c93707737ef20d57c3cce565fe069.jpg

Do you guys use bear spray for the bears? My sister lived in Canada and told me about bear spray, I thought she was joking at first.

No, Bear spray is a real thing here! It's apparently super strong mace (concentrated capsaicin from peppers). However i don't know if i would trust it, i mean one strong wind gust or how far the bear is from the spray could leave you having a very bad time.

I personally would take a good riffle if possible, if you are in remote areas as there are Bears, Wild Cats (Lynx, BobCats, Cougars etc...) and Wolves, charging Moose or Deer, and although all the above is rare, it's still a possibility....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

Most places I go are pretty safe but a few locations I go to can be a bit risky, so I take some personal protection to them. 

Bushman.jpg.332bcbd4b085e90d1aa87b3845feec65.jpg

Unfortunately my coil does pick it up being a metal spray can so I need to keep it in my backpack with my lunch on the ground somewhere and go to my bag if I need it.  My wife told me it also comes in a tube with no metal, but I'm yet to find it at the local store.  I'll probably have to buy it online.

1401554913_Bushmantube.jpg.6f2c93707737ef20d57c3cce565fe069.jpg

Do you guys use bear spray for the bears? My sister lived in Canada and told me about bear spray, I thought she was joking at first.

Ha, Simon Deet rules... REI sells the strong stuff Other places too I’m sure in little pocket sized orange spray bottles I’ve always got a couple on hand the stuff works, burns like hell mixed with sweat when it runs in the eyes and rotted the insulation off The wires on a pair of Bose ear buds in a year so careful with the overspray on your plastics, but nothing keeps the bugs at bay like deet. I got a can of bear spray in the Jeep and carried it around a few times I’ve read it works most of the time😵 but never used it now I’d just have to trust it would work if I needed it and there’s been a few times in the California high Sierra I’ve been concerned one time I followed the 7000 up a 20 foot deep dead end ground sluice littered with bear scat and piles of chewed up cobs and other organic debris from some bear that was living there luckily he was someplace else at the moment, I could have spooked him walking up the wash I guess that’s happened before to0 most of the time they only want to get away, these are all black bears up there.

4 hours ago, AZ Jim said:

Nice weapon. I generally carry when out in the great outdoors. Depending on the perceived dangers in the area should dictate your caliber. That 10mm with the right load is almost 41 magnum power.  I carry a S&W Shield 40 in a  belt holster on the hip opposite my detector arm.  I run a gpx 4500 with  some big  coils and didn't experience interference but some guys that run the 7000 might let you in on what to expect.  Seeing how you have 16 rounds no need to carry extra mags.

I have been stuck a window shopper since the lockdown 2 days from my appointment with dmv when they closed the doors, watching guns fly off the shelves and nothing I can do but watch. Finally got my drivers license walked into bass pro/outdoor world to see what they still had in stock... I was looking for the Glock 40, coming up the escalator my first view was empty display cases where 100’s of pistols had been on display now were but a dozen or so mostly odd revolvers, one ZevTec 9mm at $1600 a smaller Glock and my g40, there were a few shot guns and AR’s ammunition was sold out too with the exception of some shot shells and .32 auto my lucky day. Yesterday when I picked it up they only had the ZevTec And a couple revolvers, all the online dealers are sold out of the Glock and most everything else. I’m not sure why they had this one left in stock, it’s a hot gun so recoil, price? Liberty makes a 115 grain clocks in at 2400fps in the g20 pretty amazing watching it in ballistics gel. I’ve never shot one of these but my last big pistol was a S&W 44mag I sold over 20 years ago and the recoil never really bothered me and the 10mm especially in the Glock should seem pretty tame by comparison I think? 16 rounds was a big part of the attraction they throw in 2 extra clips and a speed loader, that and I can hunt with it if I ever wanted. It’s a big gun that’s the only down side hope I don’t hate carrying it while detecting?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tboykin said:

My GPZ didn’t have too many issues with my .40 but it is just under my ribs, higher than a drop leg or typical belt holster.

Heavy gun and I’ve only had to fire it once to warn a target shooter that I was down range. Sometimes I leave it at home but if it’s bear or wolf country I take it. Honestly a .22 or .38 would do just as well since it’s mostly to scare, not kill.

Regular cleaning is important. My last outing I probably collected a few ounces of dirt and mud in my gun since I was bushwhacking and we had some downpours.

Good it played well with the gpz the polymer frame Glock might help too, I’m carrying mid chest so It should be about the same. The dirt and harsh conditions good point it’s not going to be a beauty queen and going to need a good scrub pretty often😃.

• Like 1