New Prospecting Gun

Seems like they just don't make anything like they used to.

A neighbor has an old Jeep Willy's  that he has wanted to sell for quite some time. Beautiful Army Jeep with the trailer and all original equipment. 2 different windshields, spare parts of all kinds, and has little to no rust on it. He has never had any Bondo put on it and the paint is in great shape. Motor runs good, and so does the transmission. This past winter he was in his garage replacing the fuel pump because he thought it needed it.

Don't know how much he wants for it as it is in great shape but I have seen him take it in places that I wouldn't go in a full size pickup.

It is a collectible item so I would imagine he would want good money for it, I will ask if anyone wants to know what it would take to buy it.

• Like 2

Best way to avoid bears is to carry pepper spray and wear bells on your shoes. The best way to tell if you are in bear country is to study the scat you come across. Bear scat smells like pepper and has little bells in it!                                                                                                                                 The most danger here in Western Australia is exhaustion from carrying the wildlife on your back.

C6A14649-1E00-4D7F-BCFE-A086A060A9AF.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Oh my! 3

We had a grizzly attack here in Wyoming a few months ago. The guy was shed hunting and never saw the grizzly until it attacked. The grizzly bit, of all places...his can of hip mounted bear spray. That incredible streak of luck saved his life, but that's a 1-off. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jasong said:

We had a grizzly attack here in Wyoming a few months ago. The guy was shed hunting and never saw the grizzly until it attacked. The grizzly bit, of all places...his can of hip mounted bear spray. That incredible streak of luck saved his life, but that's a 1-off. 

Geez, the pant sh*tting would be lethal and what about the bear he’ll probably wind up with an eating disorder, that or develop a taste for spicy human, lol...seriously I’d need therapy after that.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, 2Valen said:

Seems like they just don't make anything like they used to.

A neighbor has an old Jeep Willy's  that he has wanted to sell for quite some time. Beautiful Army Jeep with the trailer and all original equipment. 2 different windshields, spare parts of all kinds, and has little to no rust on it. He has never had any Bondo put on it and the paint is in great shape. Motor runs good, and so does the transmission. This past winter he was in his garage replacing the fuel pump because he thought it needed it.

Don't know how much he wants for it as it is in great shape but I have seen him take it in places that I wouldn't go in a full size pickup.

It is a collectible item so I would imagine he would want good money for it, I will ask if anyone wants to know what it would take to buy it.

Sounds like a pretty nice little old Jeep love to own one of those be a great toy if I had room to store one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Johnno481 said:

Best way to avoid bears is to carry pepper spray and wear bells on your shoes. The best way to tell if you are in bear country is to study the scat you come across. Bear scat smells like pepper and has little bells in it!                                                                                                                                 The most danger here in Western Australia is exhaustion from carrying the wildlife on your back.

C6A14649-1E00-4D7F-BCFE-A086A060A9AF.png

Dude that’s fly...  give you the shirt off my back... finally realized the dream of running a big herd of livestock... on the count of three everyone hang on and lift... Jeff Goldblum, getting in character... When flys stage an organized protest and you know who forgets to bring the signs... got deet? The things we do only for the love of gold!

I have considered the 10mm for 25 years but have yet to pick one up as I actually went the other way and sold all of my autos 23 yrs ago and just pack one of my revolvers out in the woods. 20190413_104746.thumb.jpg.b2881f9d78fec266b3542c14506c4506.jpg

Top is .357 and bottom .44 which i often carry either of regularly - both are 5 shot and loaded with what most would consider extremely HEAVY loads. I live in the woods and most time have no need for them, they're just another tool to pack on my hikes. Worn in a typical pancake holster on back of right hip I've not found any trouble of interference with my detectors at all. (Haven't tried a GPZ yet). 

Many encounters in last 50 years constantly in the woods/mtns with bear, mtn lion, wolves, elk and moose, but the last time I had to shoot was on a canoe fishing trip last week of August 1984 - a black bear turned and charged at us by the river and 2 out of dad's .41 and 3 from my .357 stopped it literally on my feet. Carrying pepper spray was our alternative at the USFS which most did not - noise of yelling, slapping axes broadside against trees etc. have thwarted charges/feigns from bear, elk and lions on a number of occasions. My boss was chased up a tree one day by a black sow that had twin cubs just because a cub looked up and bawled from across the swamp - she saw him and went right for him. Three others had to chase her off. After that he would often pack his pistol besides his bear spray. We had a grizzly sow with twin cubs hanging around above us while metal detecting for nuggets on a claim one day last year... didn't wear my gloves, no headphones, turned up the volumes full on the detectors and kept careful watch - they moved away up the hill. I even pack while my wife/kids and I walk around our place with 3 encounters with wolves right in our yard. A sidearm can be quite handy if you have a need.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 4:13 PM, AMcBrideman said:

Nice Glock !! What model is it ? i really love guns, My first experience was with Glock 19 which i bought from friend because i really love this pistol i always used to use it in video games lol, before buying it i watched many videos about guns and bullets and read useful articles about bullets parts and used materials and the pistol and ammo compression on https://bulkmunitions.com/what-are-the-parts-of-ammunition/  for guns and ammo details because i think it’s important to know all these basics before start using guns. Now i’m planning to buy a Wilson Combat EDC X9, what do you think about it ?

The Wilson’s a beautiful handgun it shows the quality I’ve never had the opportunity to shoot one but it’s an impressive piece and I’d prefer carrying 9mm over the 10mm if it would have worked for me. Mines a Glock 40, with the long slide. It’s a lot of gun to handle and the 40’s heavy I can only imagine the 20 let alone the 29 must be a recoil beast being so small shooting the 10mm. Years ago I had a S&W 44mag other than the recoil of the Glock  feeling soft compared to the sharper 44mag the 10mm is not that much less, just more comfortable. The one thing the Glock has over a hammer fire is the recoil is centered lower on the gun making it slightly easier to control.

1515Art,

Those are great guns, but not really detecting all day with the GPZ, in my opinion. I bought a Glock 22 Gen 4 (.40 Cal) when they first came out and carried it detecting. You had to carry it up high, like you have to,  or it set the detector off. It was just to heavy and bulky for an all day detecting gun. Did have to use it once while detecting down by the Arizona border years ago, while being shot at out in the middle of nowhere... I ended up switching it out for a smaller conceal and carry 9mm. So much lighter, easier to deal with.

Dave

• Thanks 1