New Prospecting Gun

1 hour ago, Swegin said:

Sorry about your engine.  I guess you figured out what JEEP stands for.  Just Empty Each Pocket.  I do miss mine sometimes.

Thanks, they can be kind of a money pit If you aren’t careful, lol. I don’t feel too bad about it the engine had 200K and I was worried about reliability for good reason, I’ll have a new Jeep out of this basically a lot cheaper than if I’d bought something like the low mileage power wagons I was looking at and the Jeep should be good to go for a long time.

1 hour ago, Swegin said:

Sorry about your engine.  I guess you figured out what JEEP stands for.  Just Empty Each Pocket.  I do miss mine sometimes.

Erggg,

Had a 2007 Jeep Grande Cherokee with 5.7l v8, Quadra Drive 2 with the Eaton lockers on front center and back. When it ran, it ran good but just had to recently scrap it as to many corners they took to cheap out on it, essentially the pressed in valve seats. Had a valve seat drop in to the engine and then bye bye engine...

I had a nice hole in one the pistons as verified when i used a bore cam and removed a spark plug, i was not happy....

I could go on with the amount of short cuts they took on the Jeep i had (wheel nuts were hollow with chrome caps that snapped, engine fan hydraulically driven by power steering pump instead of electric fans to power it, etc...).

150k km and jeep was scrapped, un-acceptable.

My sister had my old Jeep which was a Jeep Liberty and engine had also died on hers too.

Never again will i get a Jeep, got burned on that.

• Like 1

As a rule, I never go out into the wilderness empty handed. I usually carry my Colt single action 44-40 in a shoulder holster. Five years ago, I had a near fatal encounter with a bear and her cubs. I was caught by surprise but fortunately for both of us, I was able to back away without an incident.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Here in Eastern Oregon, about the only repellent we need on our trips out is tick repellent.  This spring my brother and I each had literally 50 ticks on us on our first outing.  100% Deet does zero good.  But Permethrin seems to work very well.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

My wife told me it also comes in a tube with no metal, but I'm yet to find it at the local store.  I'll probably have to buy it online.

1401554913_Bushmantube.jpg.6f2c93707737ef20d57c3cce565fe069.jpg

Several years ago (25, in fact) I bought some Army Surplus liquid insect repellant which was somewhere in the 60-75% Deet.  A nice young woman had just gotten a brand new laptop from her grandfather as a graduation present and she let me use it.  After doing whatever it was I needed it for I carefully placed it on a shelf, awaiting her return.  A less careful person threw a towel that had been wetted in the Deet on top of the laptop.  So much for looking nice (at least it was closed).  The Deet started to disolve the plastic.  I don't know how dilute you need to get it so this doesn't happen.  I've used 25% quite a bit without problems.  Since reading about Picaridin here on DetectorProspector.com I've tried it (20% concentrate).  It's supposed to be safer....

4 hours ago, brogansown said:

Here in Eastern Oregon, about the only repellent we need on our trips out is tick repellent.  This spring my brother and I each had literally 50 ticks on us on our first outing.  100% Deet does zero good.  But Permethrin seems to work very well.

That's the stuff you put on your clothing (not on your person), and it washes off after a certain number of times going through the laundry, requiring re-application?

• Like 1

I had Lyme's disease, so am bit more careful with ticks.  Permethrin is the synthetic version of Pyrethrum made from chrysanthemum flowers and kills ticks on clothing and doesn't seem to cause problems when we get it on our skin.  I haven't tried Picaridin, but understand it is also good with ticks.  We just don't seem to have much luck with Deet, the ticks crawl right over it.   

• Like 4

9 hours ago, brogansown said:

100% Deet does zero good.  But Permethrin seems to work very well.

A few years ago I started to do the following:

Mix as mop bucket about 3/4 full of water

Add the correct amount of Permethrin plus another 1/4 of the amount to the water.

Then roll up a pair of pants and shirts and place into the water for a couple of hours.

Remove and wring out into the bucket then add your hats to do the same.

Allow the clothes to drip dry and your done.

This procedure will remain on your clothes for about 2 weeks at at time, or through 2 wash cycles, that was all I tried when I was in the woods.

Worked great keeping the ticks, chiggers, and other bugs off me. I would wear the same clothes for a couple of days to keep from retreating all the time, but the only person around me at the time was myself.

You can always reuse the same water mix if you add a small amount of Permethrin to the added water when it gets a little low.

• Like 3

The snakes, crocodiles, and drop-bears here in Australia are all protected and most people don't have guns, a licence is required for those that do have a legitimate reason for one. I think it is to dangerous for you guys in USA to come and get our gold (vanursepaul is the exception)

DEET 70+ is good for stopping the march-flies from stinging you also stops them from carrying you back to their den. 😀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, speedman2049 said:

Erggg,

Had a 2007 Jeep Grande Cherokee with 5.7l v8, Quadra Drive 2 with the Eaton lockers on front center and back. When it ran, it ran good but just had to recently scrap it as to many corners they took to cheap out on it, essentially the pressed in valve seats. Had a valve seat drop in to the engine and then bye bye engine...

I had a nice hole in one the pistons as verified when i used a bore cam and removed a spark plug, i was not happy....

I could go on with the amount of short cuts they took on the Jeep i had (wheel nuts were hollow with chrome caps that snapped, engine fan hydraulically driven by power steering pump instead of electric fans to power it, etc...).

150k km and jeep was scrapped, un-acceptable.

My sister had my old Jeep which was a Jeep Liberty and engine had also died on hers too.

Never again will i get a Jeep, got burned on that.

Chrysler has brought a lot of good improvements to the Jeep and they have made some unfortunate changes most of them plastic eventually making it something else and much more disposable, there will never be another Tj It’s definitely a Jeep thing. I had an M/L 500 Chrysler/Fiat same thing the most annoying part was the check engine Light/bell that came on every time the dealership needed money and you couldn’t turn the darn thing off, ding, ding, ding ding...endlessly.

• Like 1