phrunt

Fisher F-Pulse Vs Nokta Pulse Dive

Since we are talking centimeters on small targets.......these are air test results.

Garrett Propointer  .5 gram lead = .75cm       .15 gram gold nugget = no response     max sensitivity

Tek-Point                 .5 gram lead = 1.5 cm       .15 gram gold nugget  = .25 cm            max sensitivity

XP Mi-6                    .5 gram lead = 2.5 cm        .15 gram gold nugget = 1 cm                sensitivity 45 of 50          paired with the ORX

Jeff

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Since we are talking centimeters on small targets.......these are air test results.

Garrett Propointer  .5 gram lead = .75cm       .15 gram gold nugget = no response     max sensitivity

Tek-Point                 .5 gram lead = 1.5 cm       .15 gram gold nugget  = .25 cm            max sensitivity

XP Mi-6                    .5 gram lead = 2.5 cm        .15 gram gold nugget = 1 cm                sensitivity 45 of 50          paired with the ORX

Thanks for doing that, I just tried a .22 of a gram shotgun pellet on my Carrot, oddly at the tip it doesn't detect at all.  Off to the side even right up near the tip it gets about 1cm.

It looks like the Tek-Point will be similar on performance with small targets as my Carrot.

I've been on the fence about a new pinpointer for some time.  A guy I know has offered to sell me his near new virtually never used Pulse Dive for about half price.  And my dealer has the F-pulse in stock.

Since starting to find gold embedded in bedrock I've seen the importance of a highly sensitive pinpointer, it can save hours of work smashing away at rock when you know where the gold is.  The Carrot has helped a lot, but I was hoping for something better.  Another TRX is out of the question, overseas parcels just never arrive at the moment.  I'll stick with my Carrot for gold and try a Tek-Point for the extra depth people are reporting on coins.

This guy did some OK videos, first his air test video

Then more interesting was when he did in ground tests and the F-Pulse actually went deeper on the same coins in the ground than it did in the air, and the TRX lost depth over it's air test result.  I guess that is VLF vs PI

After watching Fishers video on how to use it, I think I'm going to need a university degree to work it out, then I've got to try remember it all 😛

Life would be simple with more than one button. Oh well, it's on it's way.

The tip sensitivity does decrease some with age. Both of my Tek-Pointers have thousands of hours on them so they are a bit more sensitive on the sides too. The F-Pulse/Tek-Points being pulse induction perform much better on in the ground targets. Just like any PI they are sensitive to audible and silent airborne EMI. The two videos are very accurate and reflect my results too. You can't go wrong with the F-Pulse. Just make sure it has the bigger spring for the batteries and is a version 2 PC board. The version 1 boards had some problems and the smaller spring in the battery cap made for some dodgy connections. New product growing pains..........

Jeff

• Like 1

Simon, if you got the test shot I sent you then you can compare with these tests I made:

TRX -- #9
Minelab 35 -- #6
F-Pulse -- #4
Makro -- #4
Garrett (orig) -- almost #2

The best to small stuff are the VLF units (TRX & ML35), but you need to test them in salt to see if they are stable. The PI units (Fisher, Makro) lose the tiniest stuff but handle salt better. The Garrett is neither PI nor IB/VLF; I don't have the orange Garrett which, I believe, is a little more sensitive.

The F-Pulse saves settings, even when you remove batteries. The settings can be a little difficult (I have a better manual if you need) but they are preferences intended to be set just once. I designed the F-Pulse and did the hardware design on the TRX and, yes, the TRX was more difficult to design and manufacture. It was so difficult I didn't want to do it again, plus that particular design belonged to White's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Geotech said:

Simon, if you got the test shot I sent you then you can compare with these tests I made:

Thanks for the info, your test shot haven't arrived yet, shipping is rotten at the moment.  I ordered a F-Pulse this morning, I'll likely have it tomorrow seeing it's a domestic order.  I'm pleased to hear it saves settings even with batteries removed as I'll likely not need to change settings often so that's my biggest concern with it alleviated.  I expect it to take the role as my primary coin detecting pin pointer, and I look forward to having a pin pointer that works well in salt as my Garrett was falsing like mad the only time I tried to use it at the beach.

My current Garrett is the Pro Pointer AT which is far more sensitive than my black older Garrett Pro Pointer. 

I'm not so worried about small gold sensitivity now, I'll stick with my Carrot for that until a manufacturer makes a gold prospecting pin pointer *hint hint* 🙂

I wouldn't mind having a read of the better manual.  I'm pretty confident I won't need to change settings often, even my dealers website commented on the difficulty changing settings which had me a bit concerned, I guess he's had people comment on that to put it up as a bit of a warning on his website.

At present, this pinpointer will most likely out-perform any other pinpointer on the market as far as depth/detecting range is concerned. However, adjusting the sensitivity is not as easy as on the PRO-FIND 35 from Minelab.

https://www.dredgenz.co.nz/product/fisher-f-pulse-pinpointer/

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The version 1 boards had some problems and the smaller spring in the battery cap made for some dodgy connections.

I have a version 1, ordered as soon as the F-Pulse came out, never had a problem with it.

40 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I'm pretty confident I won't need to change settings often

I bumped up the sensitivity on mine and set it to silent/vibrate a couple years ago, have never adjusted it since. On.. pinpoint... off. I always have nose to ground when I start it to ground balance it. I still have my Carrot for backup but it never gets used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used my ML 35 in the salt, does ok if you turn it on touching or close to the damp sand but I find it can be off if you dig to the salt water but that was before I put in lithium battery in it. I had stopped using it at the beach because I just use my scoop and the ML 35 and SeaHunter really don't play well together. I'm sure the pi pointers will do far better at the beach.

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Doing a calibration on wet or high mineralized soil is easy. Learning the 9 separate button pushes for the settings is fairly easy too (I learned it and I am an idiot, basically).

Nice Try. But everyone here knows you are far from being a idiot.

You gave good advice on this pinpointer subject and do on most things, even if it hurts an ego or feelings. I appreciate that about you. Keep on being honest and be YOU!

• Like 2

I have 2 pinpointers. The Minelabd Pro Find 35 and a Mars pinpointer.

The Minelab unit is erratic and at times will beep if I press down on the handle probing dirt. No matter about the battery being new or not, it is still unreliable. It also will beep if you turn it upside down and sensitivity is higher than it likes. Couple all that with being annoying at times because it just likes to beep for no reason when it is on.

The Mars pinpointer has been ok. It is stable compared to the Minelab. It is NOT submersible or waterproof though. Strictly a land only pointer. I use it 95% of the time. It works fine with my Equinox 800.

• Like 2