phrunt

Fisher F-Pulse Vs Nokta Pulse Dive

Thanks I've always wondered how good the Mars pinpointer is, I've been keeping an eye out on their new detector too.

I watched this video from Dr Tones where he was promoting the XP Pinpointer and comparing it a bit to the Minelab and he pointed out the exact flaw you've got with your Minelab pinpointer where it is pressure sensitive.  This put me off the Minelab.

It seems pinpointers are a bit like detectors, none are perfect so you need a range of them for different scenarios 🙂

I am having trouble finding reviews on Pinpointers from people not affiliated with the companies in some way with Youtube video reviews.  I tend to ignore any review from someone associated with the manufacturers.

On this video they're testing out the F-Pulse for the first time and it keeps falsing on them, even in the air.  I assume this is the PI / EMI issue people have spoken about.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

It seems pinpointers are a bit like detectors, none are perfect so you need a range of them for different scenarios 🙂

True, I will maintain both an F-Pulse and a TRX in my arsenal, but I'm biased. And if I wanted a diver unit I wouldn't use either of these.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Geotech said:

True, I will maintain both an F-Pulse and a TRX in my arsenal, but I'm biased. And if I wanted a diver unit I wouldn't use either of these.

Well I think the general consensus after doing a full days research means your bias is justified.  They do appear to be the two best pin pointers on the market at the moment for my purposes, although I guess the TRX will be gone soon unless someone saves Whites or some of their products.

I quite like my Carrot AT and it's serving me well so it'll do as my TRX alternative for now, I just wanted something more sensitive or deeper.  The Minelab seems to have a high failure rate, I like it has some discrimination but that's more of a novelty, I doubt would find any benefit from that.  I hope my F-Pulse arrives tomorrow, I am looking forward to trying it out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phrunt said:

I like it has some discrimination but that's more of a novelty, I doubt would find any benefit from that. 

I find it hard to believe anyone would disagree with this.

So you're digging a hole, the Pro-Find 35 signals that your target is likely iron and you what, stop searching your hole and just move on? Yeah, ok...

I suppose it's a feature to determine the composition of something you already found. But then again, wouldn't a plain old fridge magnet accomplish the same task? I assume so, but I'm no expert is magnetic properties.

Im not discriminating crap!! (Literally)! If it's in the hole, its coming out!! Then, in the pouch, or in the trash! Unless it's so big that it's too heavy, or does too much damage to be removed! But i still try and identify it, if i can! I have a few examples; but that will have to be for another post some day!👍👍

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure you made the right choice Simon. I actually have a brand new Nokta Pulsedive that I have not taken out f the box yet. When I do I'll post about it so you will decide you want one of those instead! :laugh:

I got it specifically for water use with the two coil options, so have not even bothered to see how it may be as a pinpointer yet. I'm quite content with my F-Pulse for pinpointing.

• Oh my! 1

18 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I'm pretty sure you made the right choice Simon. I actually have a brand new Nokta Pulsedive that I have not taken out f the box yet. When I do I'll post about it so you will decide you want one of those instead! :laugh:

My F-pulse will arrive by lunch time today 🙂 I still have until the weekend to decide if I want the Pulse Dive as well, he's holding it for me until then for me to make up my mind before listing it for sale, very kind of him.  I mainly wanted to get the Pulse Dive for my next trip to Gold Coast Australia for some beach detecting as I'd be too embarrassed to take my Equinox into the water with the crowds of people but I could hide a Pulse dive and have a snoop around.  I never use my detectors if people are around, I'm the ultimate stealth person.  If people are around I'm not.  When I was detecting the lakefront beaches last year until I cleaned them out I was doing it overnight where I only had to deal with the occasional drunken tourist.

People in NZ don't seem to understand metal detecting and most don't even know what it is, it's not an accepted known hobby like it appears to be in USA.  People think you're a weirdo.  A couple of nights ago a girl I know made it onto prime time NZ TV with her metal detecting, I felt that was good as it put the hobby into a more positive light and educated the general public on what's going on when they see someone with a detector. 

Shows like Aussie Gold Hunters have made people a bit more aware of what you're doing too, but it's still a long way off an accepted hobby.

Well, i guess we all came to the same conclusion; to try a Pulse Dive for the water!🤣   Steve, I'm slightly ahead of you!! Mine has been out of the box!! Last Saturday, when it was delivered!! Race you to the water!!🌊🤣  👍👍

F Pulse arrived! Woohoo. Cranked it up to highest sensitivity, left the Garrett AT on default medium, The Garrett absolutely flogs it on small targets like shotgun pellets, F-Pulse not seeing them at all.  I don't mind though, I was expecting that.  In some quick air tests it's beating the Garrett quite well on depth on coin size targets.  I guess I best finish my coffee then go down to the local football field and find a few coins to compare it on in ground targets in the fog and drizzle.  First impression is build quality is excellent, love the metal battery cover.  The colour looks regal, a high class pin pointer 🙂

• Like 1

Well, the weather is terrible and I only had about 30 minutes until a ute turned up, some people are erecting a more permanent sheep fence between the football field and the paddock next to it that I'm yet to complete detecting.

I got enough time on it to see that I like it, I liked that I could check shallow targets with it, I don't want to dig shallow targets as they're all modern stuff so if the F-pulse sounded off on a target when I touched the ground with it, I didn't dig.  Of course to start off with I did dig, and it was just pull tabs and a few modern coins.  Seeing I didn't have my junk pouch with me I just sat these on a fence post but when I left I forgot to take them away due to people showing up, I'll grab them next time I'm there.  I tried my Carrot and it had a weaker signal to them prior to digging, sometimes not seeing them at all so the depth increase on the F-pulse is quite good on larger targets even in my mild soil.  I didn't expect much difference in the soil as VLF detectors punch far deeper in my mild soil than they appear to for people in more mineralised soil.

Every time I used one pinpointer I also switched it off and used the other to compare them.  The Carrot was significantly better on small targets, even things like old foil it was able to locate it much easier with a more pronounced signal.

I had been reading around the place people thought it interfered with the Equinox, well my one doesn't.  I didn't noise cancel the Equinox with the F-Pulse turned on and my gain on the Equinox was my usual 24.  I also didn't turn my F-Pulse on when touching the ground as I'm so used to just doing it the second I pull it out of my pocket, I didn't notice any difference in all with depth doing it in the air over doing it while holding it on the ground, perhaps due to my mild soils?  As you can see in the video I was able to put it right up near the control box without causing interference with my Nox.

I managed to find one good coin in that small amount of time, I barely took 30 steps in the time I was at the field, mostly experimenting and playing with the two pin pointers 🙂

IMG_20200702_105134.thumb.jpg.a727f9c5274833bf2c6e18832ae88043.jpg

Quite a rare find for me too, a NZ Half Crown from 1950.  Shame it wasn't a couple of years earlier, it would have been silver.

IMG_20200702_111515.thumb.jpg.91620503711e584db72fef0979fb65d6.jpg

IMG_20200702_111510.thumb.jpg.dbd276ceafa109dec30e0716ac41e8b9.jpg

And my junk except for the modern coins and pull tabs I left behind on the fence post.  I particularly was digging foil as that seemed to be a weak point of the F-Pulse, smaller targets and foil it was weaker on than the Carrot but then the half crown is was hitting on a lot harder than the Carrot at depth so overall, it can be my new coin detecting pin pointer and I'll use the Carrot for gold prospecting.

IMG_20200702_111606.thumb.jpg.4aaa264c5558b4a0002e804e64ac7c85.jpg

It doesn't look so regal anymore 😛

I also noticed on the Box it says Revision 4, is this revision 4 of the pinpointer, or revision 4 of the box? 🙂

IMG_20200702_111624.thumb.jpg.3a15a847f2cf8102937bbae29d0e483d.jpg

• Like 3