How Do You Deal With Claim Jumpers?

Jasong,

"mining claims are to mine not to recreate on" totally agree with you on this one. It's unfortunate that some claim owners, and I know a few...who hog up claims and never use them. Just because you pay the fees, does not mean you own it. It should be run as I commercial business as it was intended. If you don;t use it , you lose it.

• Like 3

I totally agree, but I imagine there may be some hearty disagreement forthcoming from others (judging from posts years past on this subject on other forums at least).  :D Even some of my best mining buddies strongly disagree with me on this point, but c'est la vie.

Anyways, I ramble a lot and my main point was that the best way to prevent claimjumpers on an active mining claim is to apply for the permits to construct a guard shack or a living quarters. Also a fence around all area incident to active mining operations (which is a lot more than just the diggings). But even then, what do you do if someone just jumps the fence? They are gone by the time the sheriff gets out.

Anything that interferes with your exploring for or removal of minerals on your claim is suposedly under your control. This could easily include shooting.

Around here adding occupancy to your Plan of Operation isn"t a problem.

Anything that interferes with your exploring for or removal of minerals on your claim is suposedly under your control. This could easily include shooting.

Around here adding occupancy to your Plan of Operation isn"t a problem.

How does shooting interfere? Yes, I know, lead, detecting, and all that (I hate digging lead as much as the next guy). But seriously, where does your definition of "interference" end?

I'm with Relichunter. Nothing makes me madder than guys claiming up good tracts and then doing nothing with them. In Az. claimants are supposed to file "proof of labor" forms upon renewal. Proving that they are doing something. But nobody checks. 

I guess detecting a claim a couple of times a year qualifies as labor.

I get a bit conflicted on this topic because I have seen the abuse from both sides.

If it's an active claim with a NOI/POO then it's also an official work site. You can't go shooting into a factory or a business (even if it's night and closed) any more than you can shoot into a mining operation. At least that would be my assertion when I call the sheriff. I know some would argue that any claim is a work site by the same criteria, but don't convince me, convince the sheriff/blm.  :D

So again, it really comes down to what level of mining a person is involved in on the claim IMO. You also can't apply for occupancy or build a fence without an approved NOI/POO either.

At least until the day comes that we have so little crime in America that sheriffs can come out and investigate every mineral trespass call this is how it seems to me. The best response IMO is just to be friendly and respectful to people so they respect you back, and it seems like at that point people just sort of stay away and just ask you for permission if they want to go on your claim.

• Like 1

You have some big rocks, I'd pile up enough rocks at the bottom of the hill to make them work to get in.

I might also hide some nail spikes in the ground on the other side of the rocks that I knew where they were and could avoid or dig them out as needed when I was on the property.

Thats an idea, then check at les Shwab daily too find out who was called out for 4 flat tires that day.

yea my luck it would be a BLM pickup or sheriff cruising the country. If they want to shoot stuff there i could set up some TANNERITE in a beer can and put it on a claim marker i know they would shoot it,boy would they have a surprise. Is tannerite legal in nevada? Hmmmm.