How Do You Deal With Claim Jumpers?

I think this thread, if nothing else, shows that there are some basic problems with the way the current system is constructed. As population continues to increase and resources decrease I don't see any alternative other than an eventual restructuring of the system. Everyone else but miners see it. And if we don't all eventually see it then THEY (whoever you want to think the "other" people are) will make the changes for us while we sit and just complain.

All I know is that I've been reading the same things regarding mining for 2 decades and in that time nothing has changed except every year its become harder and harder to do what we love. Wether its large scale mining, small scale mining, full time prospecting, or recreational prospecting. Banging heads against the same wall is not going to change anything IMO and its time for a new approach. I have suggestions for a new approach but the problem is that even talking about these things makes people angry and in some cases has even elicited personal threats in private messages against me on other forums.

With that said, my general (very unpopular) opinion is that its just not 1872 anymore, it's 2015. Times change. This is one of Jefferson's quote's in stone on the side of the Jefferson Memorial that I think is worthy of consideration:

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

With that said I'm heading out to find some nuggets...

• Like 2

Never meant to ruffle feathers. If I offended anyone that was not my purpose.

Without historical significance, intent is lost.

Indeed, we are our own worst enemy.

No worries Steve, I'm done.

Good luck prospecting everyone!

Dick,

Thank you for your passion and experienced in-put!

Relevant discussions are how problems come to light and possible solutions are explored.

Good luck, everyone!

Dean

Well just got home from prospecting,didn't expect such a firestorm sorry Steve, i had better explain a few things that were going on,first of all there are reasons why sheriff wasn't contacted immediately, and second it was very obvious that they were cooking drugs to take somewhere to sell. The reason for the gun was for very obvious protection i never knew how many may be hiding in this hole on the hill.

we have had contact with sheriff there before when they were looking for someone, they were the ones that warned us about the goings on at this particular area on our claim. These kinds of people can be VERY unstable if you have any knowledge of them. I totally agree that anyone can and should be able to use all the public lands for recreational purposes i am an avid hunter myself. We have everything from people who target practice too a local family of snake hunters that frequently use this public land ,we dont care. I moved this guy out because he was right in the middle of our work area and blocking access. And he knew this. And im not over zealous miner by the way,just the opposite. We were told to be VERY careful here by local law enforcement, especially with out of state plates we take this seriously.

we dont have a problem with people on our claim that are not prospecting,there are two nice gentleman right now (prospectors) camped on us that i met and warned them about the goings on so they could be cautious also. We dont worry about this type of camping just the type i ran into. The guy i confroted in a peaceful way told me he would have this area cleaned up spotless when he left and he did,all except the white phosphorus looking stuff that was poured on the ground. By the way this was a civil conversation no guns drawn ,no loud cussing hollering, just my concerns why he needed to move and he understood

this. Public land is a great thing to have and we TOTALLY RESPECT this dont get me wrong. RICK

• Like 1

Whew! For a while there I thought there was going to be a lynching! 

Nothing has changed in the last 175 years, it's still the same old argument.

Steve is right, "most people couldn't find gold if their lives depended on it."

Remember one thing my friends, when the prospecting community advertises their products with "find more gold nuggets with our machine" - this starts a fever, the gold rush begins. Some of these types get discouraged after a few tries and some of these folks get resentful, holding a grudge against claim holders. Sometimes, these people with a grudge will go to great extent to "get rich quick" and they don't care who's claim they are on, they are driven by that burning fever.

Nothing has changed over time where gold is concerned. There will always be those who work hard, take their licks and become successful and those who have no knowledge of gold but can buy the latest "sure to have success" detector and strike out to find their fortune, ignoring the harsh reality of all the "hard work" that is the key to success.

Staking a claim is the civilized thing to do and respecting those mineral rights is the respectable thing to do. So, let's be civilized. Respect all those "PVC pipes". Those "white papers" have contact info on them. This has helped me get permission to hunt many times.

Also, people have a right to recreate on public land. The only thing that should be of concern is what their activity on that land is. 

• Like 7

Allways the same BS when this topic comes up. Those that don't like the way the laws are, are jealous of those that beat them to the ground.They are also too lazy to use the LR2000 and Land Matters to see what's claimed and what's open ground. Any excuse will do to get something someone else has.

My 2 cents!

snakejim

P.S.

I should have added, that after checking the LR2000 and Land Matters; You need to check the County Clerks office for recent claims filed that won't show up at the BLM yet.

• Like 2

I have suggestions for a new approach but the problem is that even talking about these things makes people angry and in some cases has even elicited personal threats in private messages against me on other forums.

Ergo...

Those that don't like the way the laws are, are jealous of those that beat them to the ground.They are also too lazy to use the LR2000 and Land Matters to see what's claimed and what's open ground. Any excuse will do to get something someone else has.

Worthy of consideration is this: LR2000 is not sufficient. Depending on the state and county you may have anywhere from 30-90 days before you even have to file your paperwork. On top of that LR2000 can take weeks or months to get updated after that paperwork is filed. You still have to go out and look for stakes, which requires "boots on the ground", which requires driving over public roads/land, which requires access.

Oregon going the same way as California now recently. Idaho not far behind. I already lost my dredging grounds in Colorado. Honestly I don't mind if people get angry when I suggest that changes need to be discussed, because I firmly believe they do and every passing year only convinces me further. Until the time that sort of thing can be mentioned by a miner without eliciting personal attacks from other miners then I think we're just going to watch state after state fall because nothing else has changed since the day I bought my first gold pan except people have gotten more angry and inflammatory which solves nothing.

• Like 1