TDI SL Not Working Right Need Help

this machine is new have used it for about a month never droped it or abused it , this is what is happeneing  when i turn it on ,it starts overloading  and moaning but only in the All or high position if i turn to low its a quite as a mouse turn it to all and it starts moaning and will not stop , any ideas?

Sounds like you are experiencing EMI. Setting the Target Conductivity switch to All for accepting low and high conductors is going to allow the widest range of EMI signals to be detected but you have to set it on All at least momentarily to ground balance properly. Setting the switch on High allows low frequency EMI to be detected which seems to be more common and has a stronger signal. Setting the switch on Low allows higher frequency EMI to be detected which is not as common or strong in most areas. Trying to operate a TDI or any Pulse Induction detector inside a house or near strong WiFi/ethernet signal sources is not pleasant. I think I got this explanation right. It is confusing.

Jeff

• Like 3

The TDI SL does not have automatic noise reduction like most of the latest Minelab PIs which have hundreds of automatic settings to choose from in order to pick the frequencies that are the worst offenders. You might try slight frequency knob adjustments when ground balancing to get it more quiet. If all of the target conductivity settings were noisy I might think there was something wrong. Your experiences so far sound similar to what I dealt with in some of my spots. Maybe the EMI levels have changed in your hunting areas and not your TDI SL. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kaolin washer said:

...When i turn it on ,it starts overloading  and moaning....

At what value of gain/sensitivity are you experiencing these problems?

If the machine starts overloading when you turn it on, first check your batteries are fully charged.

Second make sure the Threshold is set well counter clockwise in the silent zone.  So have Threshold silent when you turn it on and only after turning it on set the threshold level.

The Tdi Sl can briefly overload when first turned on if the threshold is already set from previous use. Depends on the settings and coil being used. I find this 'bark' unpleasant so now make sure the threshold is well off before turning my machine on, then reset it after a few seconds. If this fails, try a different coil. At the end of the day you need to have confidence in your machine and that it is working correctly.

Finally make sure you are outdoors when checking the machine and well away from hot EMI areas. 

All the best.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

O,K sent it in , and they replaced the PC board, and when i got it back somthing did not seem right , targets not showing ,well i figured it out the frequincy knobs got hooked up backwards so the fine is the main and the main the fine , I gueiss i will leave it like that i just dont have the money to keep sending it back  or i may sell it for a reduced price.It works at least  .