TDI SL Not Working Right Need Help

9 minutes ago, Kaolin washer said:

frequincy knobs got hooked up backwards so the fine is the main and the main the fine

?????????

How did you determine the frequency knob is hooked up backwards? Even if it was, it should not make a difference.

whites-tdi-sl-control-panel-display.jpg
White's TDI SL control panel

• Like 1

Steve , I may have called the pulse delay a frequincy but now the pulse delay is hooked up on the right side and the frequency is on the left , hears how i could tell the frequency knob turns really easyand the pulse has some or more resistance .  its now backwards , i was finding the nickle would be faint , i kept ajusting what i thought was the pulse delay to knock out foil and nothing happened  so when i figured it out i adjusted the right side and it made that sqeal when it gets adjusted to fast  and that on the right now . I guess it work fine i just was ajusting the wrong one because it must have been hooked back up back wards. and i dont dare messs with it . i was scratching my head trying to figure out what the problem was with the targets not comming in and my normal setting seemed way off

• Oh my! 1

• 1 year later...

My TDI SL is doing the exact same thing no matter the location with all the settings off when turning on. It makes a loud over load whine for a few seconds. And then it gives all kinds of false signals. Super disappointing, since nothing of note could have damaged it. Do we contact Garret to do the repairs now? I’m in CA. So bummed, should have just bought a minelab 

1 hour ago, Nuggets said:

Do we contact Garret to do the repairs now?

No.  These people:

https://www.centrevilleelectronics.net/

• Like 1

Be advised that some aftermarket coils will do this, and also some SL's don't readily take to increased battery pack voltage. Juast sayin'.

Jim

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, Jim in Idaho said:

Be advised that some aftermarket coils will do this, and also some SL's don't readily take to increased battery pack voltage. Juast sayin'.

Jim

Interesting, so this happens only with a new Sadie coil. When I switch to the stock MJ 8x12 it doesn’t do this or give false signals. Both were used with the 16v Li-ion battery pack. I guess I can try the Sadie with the AA battery pack and see but would that make sense if the stock could works with the Li-ion pack but the Sadie would not? Also, just curious why would some SL’s not take the increase battery pack and some would? Thx! 

I  have no idea why some SL's tolerate the higher voltage, but some do not. Mine seems to tolerate it well, but I started limiting my max voltage to 16.0. My Sadie also works fine at the higher voltage, but I don't find it superior to my Whites 7.5DF. According to Carl Moreland, the SL should tolerate voltages as high as 18.0, but may require a couple of component changes to do that. I know of only one SL that wouldn't work at 16v, and that one was in the UK....maybe the soil there was the problem at higher voltage...don 't know.

Jim