Advice On Getting Permission

I would like to start detecting neighbors property, but I am not sure how to go about it. Does anyone have advice on asking my neighbors(who I don’t know very well) or asking people in different neighborhoods? How do I tell them there yard will not be damaged. I dig my holes in a circle in my grass and pull up the plug. I then check to see if the signal in in the hole or in the plug. Wherever it is I use a t shirt to put the dirt on and find the target. I them spill the dirt in the hole and place the plug back in the way it came out. It does look a bit brown after I do it, but as time goes by you can’t even tell. I did it in my yard lasted year, and this year you can’t even tell. Is this a good way of digging, or is there a better way? Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks!!

You might try what I do to get permission to hunt in some lake areas. I explain/ show pictures of the hazardous materials that I will remove as I hunt like nails, fishhooks, razor blades (don't find many of those but they don't know that), lead, batteries, broken glass, sharp aluminum shards, as well as not so hazardous trash like bottle caps, pull tabs and aluminum foil.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TreasureHunter5 said:

I dig my holes in a circle in my grass and pull up the plug. I then check to see if the signal in in the hole or in the plug. Wherever it is I use a t shirt to put the dirt on and find the target. I them spill the dirt in the hole and place the plug back in the way it came out. It does look a bit brown after I do it, but as time goes by you can’t even tell. I did it in my yard lasted year, and this year you can’t even tell. Is this a good way of digging, or is there a better way? Any advice is appreciated!!

If you are going to dig on a nice lawn or yard I would suggest the following:

First, after acquiring a target, see if it is shallow enough to be picked up by your pinpointer on the surface.  If so, you might be able to use a probe or screwdriver to locate and flip out the coin target without taking a plug.  If you are going to take a plug, the best way to prevent a brown grass situation is to cut a flap so that at least a part of the turf root structure is intact on the flap, fold it back,  then remove the dirt as usual. placing it on your t-shirt or other cloth/towel for easy restoration after you have retrieved the target.  Cutting a completely round plug on a lawn (especially a well manicured lawn) will result in a visible mark after a day or so, cutting a flap instead reduces the chance o that happening and will make your host happier.  Practice that in your yard or at a public park where you don't have to seek permission.  Then you can honestly tell them you have a method of recovering targets from the ground where you will leave no trace.

As far as gaining permission -  First dress for success>ask permission without being fully decked out in your dirty MD clothes, pouch kneepads, digger, etc.  Wear casual but clean clothes and don't put the property owner on the spot (if it is a neighbor) that you want to dig now.  Converse about the house, nice property, and then gradually bring up the metal detecting piece, how you find it interesting, and have found interesting history type stuff in your yard.  Then ease into asking if they would mind if could search their yard for similar stuff.  Ask if they would like to see what you found to see if it might have some meaning or value to them as property owners.  Ask them if they have lost anything in their yard that you could find for them..  Don't emphasize jewelry or coins, just talk about interesting trinkets like buttons and lost toys.  Ask if they want to see your finds and tell them that you will remove any trash or dangerous sharp items (can shards, nails) that you come across.  Be friendly, respectful, and show more of an interest in them than their property and you will get more yes's than no's.  If you have something from your kitchen or yard (cookies, apples, tomatoes) that you want to share you can bring those along as a conversation starter.

The approach is a little different if you are seeking permission in a more remote area from your house.  In that case you can talk about the area (do some history research) - For example, "Did you know an old house stood near your property?"  Of "Did you know a civil war unit camped nearby?".  And then say, I do research and on historical events and like to collect artifacts using a detector if I can gain access to a property.  Again, stay away from talks of treasure - emphasize historical significance of what might otherwise be considered metallic junk  (discarded buttons, thimbles, tools, knapsack parts) but that it interests you nonetheless because you understand its historic significance.  Offer to show your finds, etc.  Be prepared to offer something neat in return for gaining their permission, such as a cool button or coin your found.  It is their property and they can dictate the terms of your access.

Good luck.

• Like 4

Thank you very much!!! I’m glad you told me!!! I will try to cut a flap in the grass instead of a circle. I will also try the approach for permission. Great information! Very informative!!!

I have got permissions by running an ad on craigslist offering a service such as leaf raking in exchange for permission to detect and keep the items found.

• Like 4

I cannot offer real advice about approaching home owners as its not really the done thing here in the UK,all my personal permissions which are farmland have been gained through the 'word of mouth' method.If you show that initial farmer/landowner that you are responsible and respect the land and fill those all important holes in,also one vital think is make the offer of showing them what you have found.

Once you have gained the trust from the 1st land owner this could be just say a small field or parcel of land this could lead to large acreage that you had not been aware of that they owned.Land owners/Farmer  are a very close knit family and once you have gained the trust this more than often leads to many more permissions as well.Of course this close knit network can also work the other way as well,you leave gates open and possibility of animals escaping and leave massive holes so that animals/livestock couls get injured you can also loose that trust and loose alot of permissions.

Apart from one initial face to face meeting years and years ago,all my land that i can detect on which is a fair amount has always been gained from the 'word of mouth' method.

Good luck and hope you find some places to detect on.

Everyone has given the best answers already, but in my neck of the woods, I offer a 6 pack of their favorite drink if I find anything of value.

I have about 20 places to hunt when my neck is in better shape and I am able to look at my detector.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Try to avoid digging in grass when conditions very dry.

Unlike those "Youtube Experts".

• Like 2

First impression goes along way. Just be neat in apperance and be yourself. They either will or won't say yes.

• Like 1