Metal Detector For Finding Gold In Sweden?

Hello,

So I am a beginner and amateur, but interested in finding gold as well as old coins, old bullets from muskets etc, relics, etc with a metal detector in Sweden. I have many thoughts about this, which I hope you can help me with, so I would be very grateful.

I list my thoughts and questions below.

1. I was thinking about hearing what you think about the possibility of finding natural gold (gold grains, etc.) in Sweden in, for example, streams, etc., with a metal detector adapted to search for and find small gold grains?

I found a website that has an article on it: http://www.detektorist.se/metalldetektor-guld/

If I understand them correctly, they mean:

- The gold you find in Sweden unlike, for example, the USA and other countries (where you can often find the whole gold nuggets, unlike in Sweden where you find mostly small gold grains if you are lucky?) Is too small for a metal detector to find or almost impossible. It needs to be at least 3 milimeters for a metal detector to found it and may only be a few cm below the ground.

- And that gold is not flattened in Sweden, which makes it even more difficult to find.

- That gold is most often found in mineralized soil, which makes it difficult for the metal detector to get real signals, distinguish gold from other metal, etc.

With that in mind, do you think it's worth it? Or waste of money? Or do you think it is wasteful and almost impossible to find gold in Sweden with a metal detector even if it is adapted for it?

I am also interested as I said to find old coins etc. Should I put down the idea of finding naturally gold in Sweden, and buy a cheaper but good detector that is more focused on old coins, old bullets from muskets etc, than one that is most focus on finding natural gold?

2. Here I can buy in Sweden, "Professional metal detectors - metal seekers for prospectors looking for gold and minerals": https://www.guldstrom.se/sv/guld-mineralletning

The metal detectors for seeking gold is:

- Minelab Equinox 800

- Minelab Gold Monster 1000

- Minelab GPX 4500

- Minelab SCD 2300 Guld detektor

- Garrett ATX

- Minelab X-Terra 705

- XP ORX metalldetektor

- Gold Rush tour 2020 Australia

- Minelab GPZ 7000 Gold detector

- Minelab GPX 5000

- Fisher Gold Bug 2

- Garrett AT Gold

Would you recommend any of these?

3. I did send the swedish company an email and they answered:

"Without a doubt, the best detector right now is the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 so this is the one to look for if you want to look for gold in Sweden.
It also manages to find mineralized stones and it can differentiate between mineralized stones and solid metal.
It is also excellent for exploring in streams and streams and the search coil is waterproof so it works great. The GM 1000 automatically adjusts itself so there are no knobs or buttons to turn on but just "whip and drive".

You can find a really small gold grain -1mm in about 5 cm
A larger gold grain of 3mm can be found in 10 cm
A large gold grain of 4mm can be found in about 15 cm"

If it is true on detektoristen.se that a gold grain must be 3 mm in Sweden, then the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 finds a gold grain of 1mm of 5 cm, 3 mm of 10 cm etc., so it does not seem to be a problem? In addition, it seems to be adapted to find gold in mineralized soil.

So do you think it can work well to find gold in Sweden with a metal detector like Minelab Gold Monster 1000, or what do you think?

Thank you very much.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum,is detecting actually allowed in Sweden ?? i am aware that you do require a special licence to detect and even then that does have some clauses attached on what you can or cannot do.

• Like 1

Hello Hello. 

For tiny gold in a stream I would start with a shovel and a pan.  Then if you are finding some pieces that are in that 3 mm size range you could whip out your detector.

The Equinox 800 might be a better option if you are also going to look for coins, relics, etc.  And the whole unit is waterproof for your stream work.  The smaller coil as an extra option would also be good for streams. 

The Equinox will find gold pretty much as small as the Monster will. 

The claim that a Gold Monster will find a 4mm piece of gold at 15cm - I think the dealer is telling some stories there.   

• Like 5

I think if you really want to find gold, in your situation you’d be better off with a gold pan. Use the right tool for the job, and this is one job where a gold pan is the better tool. With a huge amount of effort with a metal detector you may find some gold. In most small gold locations however you will come away empty handed. If there is gold that can be found at all, a properly used gold pan will find it, and at far lower cost. In a lot of ways a gold pan is a more serious prospecting tool than a metal detector, revealing gold in multitudes of locations where metal detectors would say there is no gold at all.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, RickUK said:

Welcome to the forum,is detecting actually allowed in Sweden ?? i am aware that you do require a special licence to detect and even then that does have some clauses attached on what you can or cannot do.

Hello RickUK and thank you very much.

As I understood it was banned before, but is now allowed to buy metal detectors because of EU rules, but you have to apply for permission from the state to use them, rather restrictive rules. You have to pay a large sum for every time you use it, you have to give reasons and only in a small restricted area, for a very limited time. Even if you use it on your small plot of land that you own, you have to have a permit or otherwise, you may be fined or, in the worst case, be sent prison for a few years. Crazy rules.

Sure, I understand and agree that old Viking tombs etc, should be protected and that some restrictions are good (but that is just sweeping reasons in my opinion), but as usual the Swedish state is crazy.

I have read that old coins, swords from the Viking era and the like, are being razed to be destroyed for all future because of the weather nature or so, but no private person can search and find them and save them for the future and donate to the museum, etc., but trained archaeologists must do that, but they do not because it costs money and The Swedish state does not care about our cultural heritage. Responsible for the cultural heritage is a non-Swedish person who does not care about the Swedish cultural heritage, a large number of objects from the Viking era, etc., the state has therefore destroyed and thrown away, because they do not want ordinary people to come over it. Unfortunately, Sweden is now a crazy country, I'm sorry to have to admit that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I had read that getting a licence is both pretty hard and expensive and with alot of caveats attached as well,i can fully understand about them being protective of such sites like viking etc.You guys do have alot of interesting history very much like us here in the UK,although we do have some detecting guidelines that we need to adhere too at least we can detect.

Well done and hope you find a decent detector and find that viking gold hoard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northeast said:

Hello Hello. 

For tiny gold in a stream I would start with a shovel and a pan.  Then if you are finding some pieces that are in that 3 mm size range you could whip out your detector.

The Equinox 800 might be a better option if you are also going to look for coins, relics, etc.  And the whole unit is waterproof for your stream work.  The smaller coil as an extra option would also be good for streams. 

The Equinox will find gold pretty much as small as the Monster will. 

The claim that a Gold Monster will find a 4mm piece of gold at 15cm - I think the dealer is telling some stories there.   

Hello Northeast,

Thank you for your answer.

Sounds good about the Equinox 800, coins, relics. But the Minelab Gold Monster 1000, is it not good for finding coins and relics too?

Waterproof sounds realy good. The Minelab Gold Monster 1000 is waterproof only partly, right?

Ok, so no big difference in findning gold between The Equinox 800 and Gold Monster 1000? If that is the case, then it sounds like The Equinox 800 could be better also if it is better to find coins, relics etc. Does anyone know if there is some good and reliable tests, that has tested the difference between them, when it comes to differences in finding gold, coins and relics etc?

I read under your picture that you are using the Equinox 800, but sold your Gold Monster 1000. May I ask why? For the reasons you wrote?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RickUK said:

I had read that getting a licence is both pretty hard and expensive and with alot of caveats attached as well,i can fully understand about them being protective of such sites like viking etc.You guys do have alot of interesting history very much like us here in the UK,although we do have some detecting guidelines that we need to adhere too at least we can detect.

Well done and hope you find a decent detector and find that viking gold hoard.

Yes that is right, and I agree with you. Thanks, yes you have very interesting things in the UK too. Been to England and Scotland, very interesting historical sights, nice people, interesting culture.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I think if you really want to find gold, in your situation you’d be better off with a gold pan. Use the right tool for the job, and this is one job where a gold pan is the better tool. With a huge amount of effort with a metal detector you may find some gold. In most small gold locations however you will come away empty handed. If the is gold that can be found at all, a properly used gold pan will find it. In a lot of ways a gold pan is a more serious prospecting tool than a metal detector, revealing gold in multitudes of locations where metal detectors would say there is no gold at all.

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your answer.

So would you recommend a gold pan for me to seek gold, and maybe another metal detector for finding coins etc?

If it is almost impossible to find gold with a metal detector, I guess it is best to have a gold pan that you wrote for the gold, and maybe spend the money on a metal detector that is better suited to searching for coins etc? If so, do you have someone great metal detector for that purpose you can recommend to me, that is good and searching deep, good discrimination, waterproof etc good things and fairly easy to use?

But apart from seeking gold from land and streams, etc. Do you think a metal detector for gold can find gold if you place it against mountains, big rocks, between cracks in mountain , etc.? That it might detect if there is gold a bit into the mountain? Maybe there is more and better chance of finding gold with a metal detector like that than looking for small gold grains in streams etc?

When it comes to gold study the geology and mining history of the area. This gives you a realistic idea what you may find. Anything else is wishful thinking.

You are fortunate these days in that you can have all you want in one detector. The Minelab Equinox 800 is in my opinion the most capable general purpose detector made to date, comparing to top tier VLF detectors at any task. This includes nugget detecting. In your shoes I would be getting it primarily to hunt for coins, jewelry, and relics, while being assured that you can use it to look for small gold if you wish. But in your location, you with the best metal detector, no matter what that is, and me with a gold pan, I know who I am betting on as having the best chance of finding gold. I say that as a person who has specialized in finding small gold with a metal detector for decades. I wish you the best of luck no matter what you decide. :smile:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/7468-my-tips-on-nugget-detecting-with-the-minelab-equinox/

• Like 3