Metal Detector For Finding Gold In Sweden?

3 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

When it comes to gold study the geology and mining history of the area. This gives you a realistic idea what you may find. Anything else is wishful thinking.

You are fortunate these days in that you can have all you want in one detector. The Minelab Equinox 800 is in my opinion the most capable general purpose detector made to date, comparing to top tier VLF detectors at any task. This includes nugget detecting. In your shoes I would be getting it primarily to hunt for coins, jewelry, and relics, while being assured that you can use it to look for small gold if you wish. But in your location, you with the best metal detector, no matter what that is, and me with a gold pan, I know who I am betting on as having the best chance of finding gold. I say that as a person who has specialized in finding small gold with a metal detector for decades. I wish you the best of luck no matter what you decide. :smile:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/7468-my-tips-on-nugget-detecting-with-the-minelab-equinox/

Thank you Steve, so happy to get advice from an expert directly, so I do not have to make mistakes I regret 🙂  I have heard the name Minelab Equinox 800 a lot, seems very good. Very possible that I buy it. 🙂

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Another vote for the Equinox, it can find gold just as small as the Gold Monster, take a bit more to learn to get the most out of it but those same options that make it harder to learn are the options that end up making it better than the Gold Monster for gold.

Then when it comes to the coins and so on that you're after, it loves that stuff.  Most certainly get yourself a gold pan, plastic one preferably, I like the green ones.  I found gold with a pan long before a detector, and a lot of the gold I've found with my pan would be impossible to find with a detector.  I am betting if you find your first gold it would be with your pan.

Hello phrunt,

Thank you for your post and your recommendations.

It can find gold just as small as the Gold Monster? Sounds good, but also at the same depth as well as the Gold Monster?

Sounds good about the coins. Does it go very deep and find coins?

There are very many threads on the Equinox here - a whole sub-forum in fact. The Equinox is probably the best selling metal detector in the world, so it is not like it is a risky proposition. I suggest you dig into the forum for further information.

The Monster and Equinox both have advantages on certain types of gold versus the others, the type of things expert split hairs over all day long. Fr whatever it is worth I had both and sold the Gold Monster. Whatever it did better than an Equinox was so minimal if anything that it was not worth keeping it in addition to the Equinox. Personally I preferred the White's Goldmaster 24K over the Gold Monster, but with White's future in question will no longer be recommending it as an option.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/4236-minelab-equinox-versus-gold-monster-1000-for-prospecting/

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/5255-gold-monster-1000-vs-equinox-800/

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/9992-video-minelab-equinox-800-vs-gold-monster-1000/

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/forum/53-minelab-equinox-forum/

• Like 4

The Goldmonster 1000 is about as good as it gets for a simple to operate, single frequency, gold prospecting specific VLF metal detector. As a beginner, if you only wanted to detect for gold or if you already had a good coin and jewelry detector but wanted to add a gold prospecting detector for very small gold, it would be a great choice.

That being said, I can only strongly echo what the other posters have said here. The Equinox is just as good on very small gold especially with the 6" coil as the Goldmonster 1000. I have owned both, found very small gold with both and still have the Equinox 800. The Goldmonster 1000 can detect any type of conductive metal target within its operating range. It will only tell you with varying accuracy if it is ferrous target or a non-ferrous target and it will do so with one audio tone and a ferrous/non-ferrous display bar. The Equinox will do the same thing on very small gold but it will give you so much more information about the target under the coil in the gold prospecting modes. Then you have 4 outstanding dry land and fresh water detecting modes with up to 50 different audio tones and numerical target IDs for identification along with an outstanding display with tons of other easy to read and understand information. Then you have two salt water detecting modes, waterproof, two different wireless audio capabilities........I could go on and on. If you want just a gold prospecting detector (which in your situation doesn't make much sense as it will take you many years to find enough tiny gold to pay for your detector) get the GoldMonster. If you intend to do many types of metal detecting ( you can pay for your Equinox with coin and jewelry finds eventually if you learn it well) get the Equinox 800 and you have just about every possible detecting scenario covered for the life of your detector.

Jeff

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hello said:

I read under your picture that you are using the Equinox 800, but sold your Gold Monster 1000. May I ask why? For the reasons you wrote?

I think everyone else has answered the other questions you put in this post and I think the reason for selling the Monster and keeping the Equinox was the same as everyone else too. 

They were both equally as good on tiny gold but the Equinox was far more versatile on coins/jewellery and had much better audio options, etc.  

Cheers, NE  👍

• Like 2

Welcome Hello,

When looking for gold in a place such as yours with all the streams, I suggest doing what Steve H. has suggested.

The reasons are that when you find gold in your pan, follow it up the creek or stream to find where it came from.

Get as much as you can from the streams, and then with the equinox 800 locate the larger stuff around the creeks acn streams. While doing so along the streams you may come across coins and such left by campers for 100's of years ago.

You are in a very unique location and yes you will find what you are wanting.

Vikings were water travelers so the banks were their camps.

• Like 1

Great information, thank you Jeff McClendon, Northeast, and 2Valen.

I think I will buy Minelab Equinox 800.

In Sweden it costs in total 10.990 kr, in us dollar that would be about 1180. (Using currency converter online)

Is it a reasonable price?

I have seen that it seems to be cheaper in other countries, but with shipping the price seems to be the same or slightly higher than if I order from Sweden.

Cheers 🙂

I haven't read all the info about the Equinox 800 from the links yet. But I think I will boy one. Do you think it is worthwhile that I also buy a small pinpoint detector as a complement to it, like Garrett Pro Pointer AT?