Fisher Impulse AQ And Nails?

I know this has been asked before and I'm sorry if one of the current Impulse AQ owners has already done the test and reported..........But we've all seen the nails stacked on top of the ring and the ring on top of a pile of rings. What I want to know is will the Impulse AQ pick out the ring in a 3D scenario? What if a ring is buried 2 or 4 or 6 inches deep and nails are placed above and off to the side of the ring. Can the Impulse AQ still get the ring. 

2 hours ago, abenson said:

I know this has been asked before and I'm sorry if one of the current Impulse AQ owners has already done the test and reported..........But we've all seen the nails stacked on top of the ring and the ring on top of a pile of rings. What I want to know is will the Impulse AQ pick out the ring in a 3D scenario? What if a ring is buried 2 or 4 or 6 inches deep and nails are placed above and off to the side of the ring. Can the Impulse AQ still get the ring. 

I have been trying hard through many very detailed posts to explain that there is not a yes and no answer to this question. Does the Impulse AQ have excellent ferrous see through ability? Yes. Does it cut through all ferrous like butter and see just the gold? No.

The nail demos are just that. Cool demonstrations, using new nails. The issue is not new nails, but largish, deeply corroded ferrous objects, rusted flat round objects, especially with holes, hair pins, and bottle caps.

Does the Impulse AQ do an excellent job of seeing through most ferrous? Yes. Are there many items that will cause the ring signal to degrade to the point you might pass it up? Yes. Are there many ferrous items that will fake you out and have you digging them thinking it might be a ring? Yes.

I think the Impulse AQ is the best pulse induction detector made to date for water hunting, with superb depth, and more discrimination and audio tricks that can be employed to advantage for finding rings than ever before in a PI detector. But nobody should get the idea they are going to get one and go punch though piles of ferrous stuff like it does not exist, getting the rings and missing none. The only way to do that is go all metal and dig everything. Nobody should think they are going to dig only non-ferrous items.

I have gone to more effort to present a realistic assessment of what this detector is capable of than any detector I have ever reviewed. Either people are not seeing my posts, or the desire to believe the Impulse AQ is something other than a very capable PI is overwhelming and cannot be overcome no matter how much or what I post.

Impulse AQ - Digging With Tones and Disc In General

Fisher Impulse AQ Discrimination Explanation

Fisher Impulse AQ Preliminary Report

Fisher Impulse Discrimination In Depth Discussion

Some problematic items for the Impulse AQ...

herschbach-fisher-impulse-limited-problem-ferrous.jpg

• Like 7

Steve thanks for your reply and having used a number of PI's in the past on beaches and relic hunting I do understand that the AQ is still going to have the same issues as other PI's with bottle caps, wire, flat tin, rusted washers, etc. I was wondering about nails and more specifically rusted nails. Just wondered if anyone had done a test as I described because I also plan on trying to using the AQ for relic hunting for low conductors and if it can see past nails better than other machines, then all the better. Right now I use a GPX for the deep stuff and we all know the trouble it has with iron, even if you use iron reject you can't pick out anything do the the blanking. Although I have picked out some pretty amazing stuff in nail patches using the 5 x 10 DD coil on the GPX. You just have to go slow and be patient.

1 hour ago, abenson said:

I was not real interested in the Disc side of the AQ (Just deep) but I did do a few test with crab pot pieces and the PVC pipe. I wanted to see the AQ would do in something I might encounter. I put one crab pot pieces down..around the PVC pipe..1 inch long. I tested before I put the ring in place and the AQ muted out. As I put the ring in place on the surface, I got a nice hit from the gold ring..as it went down the tube it hit the ring at two inch's but 3 inch's was fading....the odd is ...the crab pot piece muted when by itself but once the ring went from three inch's to four I got more pointed signal from the ring?.......Like it came to life with clipped signal. At 7 inch's that signal changed and at 17 when the ring was starting to fade I got a change in the audio of the crab pot piece like it was going to mute or was it muting already? ..So the ring does have a affect on...I just wish I had went deeper on the ring now that I seen the video...if it would have muted once the ring was out of range that would have told me it was getting the ring the whole time....

I think it will be something all of us will need to test, for my conditions are different then all others.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I was not real interested in the Disc side of the AQ (Just deep) but I did do a few test with crab pot pieces and the PVC pipe. I wanted to see the AQ would do in something I might encounter. I put one crab pot pieces down..around the PVC pipe..1 inch long. I tested before I put the ring in place and the AQ muted out. As I put the ring in place on the surface, I got a nice hit from the gold ring..as it went down the tube it hit the ring at two inch's but 3 inch's was fading....the odd is ...the crab pot piece muted when by itself but once the ring went from three inch's to four I got more pointed signal from the ring?.......Like it came to life with clipped signal. At 7 inch's that signal changed and at 17 when the ring was going starting to fade I got a change in the audio of the crab pot piece like it was going to mute or was it muting already? ..So the ring does have a affect on...I just wish I had went deeper on the ring now that I seen the video...if it would have muted once the ring was out of range that would have told me it was getting the ring the whole time....

I think it will be something all of us will need to test, for my conditions are different then all others.

Very interesting results, thanks for reply. I would like to hear more from others experiences in similar situations. We don't know what we don't know unless people test different scenarios that could be encountered in the wild. That test alone tells me clipped signals should probably be investigated or at least scrutinized more closely. I would do a bunch of testing myself and report but I don't see me getting an AQ for at least a few more weeks. 

44 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

But nobody should get the idea they are going to get one and go punch though piles of ferrous stuff like it does not exist, getting the rings and missing none. The only way to do that is go all metal and dig everything. And nobody should think they are going to dig only non-ferrous items.

I am digging just about every thing I can hear in all metal, in the water with my Equinox. When I finally get the AQ I will be doing the same thing but checking it’s many different scenarios. This little open gold ring was found in the water along with the tons of bottle caps that I dug at a small saltwater beach. Apparently other hunters are deterred by the trash. Do I say a few special words every time I dig a bottle cap. Yup. 😆 

19BC4D9C-7A28-40E6-A0FF-D90BC032E2A1.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, abenson said:

I was wondering about nails and more specifically rusted nails.

Deeply corroded/rusted nails where there is more rust than metal are going to be a problem just like always. I have never had a problem digging brand new, shiny nails at a beach. This test is nice, and if you are having a problem with brand new crossed nails sitting on top of a ring sitting on top of the beach, the AQ is the solution for that problem. :smile:

Will the AQ do better than any PI you have used before? Little doubt about that in my mind. I just don’t want anyone coming back later and saying “but you said I would dig no nails Steve.” No, I did not.

impulse-ring-demo-1.jpg

It is going to be very site specific, and if your site has lots of nails where over half the metal is gone, replaced by a think rind of rust and sand... those are problems targets. If bent, doubly so.

• Like 1

Must be those pesky "Carpenter Fish"! Or maybe "Hammerheads"! I've seen a few of those dropping new nails in front of me, while detecting! Honest!!🤫👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I was not real interested in the Disc side of the AQ (Just deep) but I did do a few test with crab pot pieces and the PVC pipe. I wanted to see the AQ would do in something I might encounter. I put one crab pot pieces down..around the PVC pipe..1 inch long. I tested before I put the ring in place and the AQ muted out. As I put the ring in place on the surface, I got a nice hit from the gold ring..as it went down the tube it hit the ring at two inch's but 3 inch's was fading....the odd is ...the crab pot piece muted when by itself but once the ring went from three inch's to four I got more pointed signal from the ring?.......Like it came to life with clipped signal. At 7 inch's that signal changed and at 17 when the ring was starting to fade I got a change in the audio of the crab pot piece like it was going to mute or was it muting already? ..So the ring does have a affect on...I just wish I had went deeper on the ring now that I seen the video...if it would have muted once the ring was out of range that would have told me it was getting the ring the whole time....

Ah, yes. There is some hope of not having to just excavate the entire area for the one ring I know of off the private pier. Thanks for that OBN! Hope springs eternal while I wait to have an AQ.

Thanks again for all the work you do and share with us!!

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I was wondering why nails would be on a beach in the first place.  While I'm not a regular beach hunter I've never found a nail on the beach.  Bottle caps and pull tabs are my typical enemies at the beach.  I guess countries with a lot more history than my own tend to gather up more junk over the years of habitation.  I'd be quite happy if I found nails off an old ship wreck though.

Pier tear outs and storm take downs, and pallets in the burn pits just to name a couple of sources. 

• Like 6