Fisher Impulse AQ And Nails?

19 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Frankly, the AQ changes nothing for me as far as detecting except that areas I would not hunt because they were done, "cleaned out", I'd now hunt again with hopes of making more good finds. But they've already been hunted, supposedly to death, so a lot of good stuff has been extracted and much of the junk left behind. No matter how you look at it the situation is more like cleaning up leftovers, than turning hunted beaches into virgin territory.

Sounds just like my parks.  I used to think because I found oldies that I was the first.  Now I know a lot better.  In my case I think (for most of my good finds) they just never got the coil over the target.  Occasionally it's because of masking and sometimes disrcrimination choices.  But, yes, I mostly get the clad, Zincolns, and of course lots of trash.  Reminds me of that Jerry Reed song (and if you think it looks dated, well when he was singing this those early detectorists were cleaning out my parks!).

I realize 1) you aren't talking about dry land hunting (with IB/VLF's) and 2) beach&water hunting is a very different ballgame.  For example, on the large bodies of water, storms can change things a lot (for the good, I take it, in the case of heavily hunted sites) -- as you vets have shown me.  One of the things that intrigues me about posts here on detectorprospector.com is even for detecting applications which aren't my bread-and-butter, there are still often enough common properties that teach me something about my sites.

OK, sorry for the hijack.  I think you've said Lake Tahoe is too small for storm recirculation to play much of a role.  Glad you've got the latest tool -- one of the few advantages of being late to the party.

17 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Don't forget all the melted bon fire aluminum cans, that sound like silver! To me, that is worse than the pallet nails! And broken beer bottles, syringes, etc...   The public has no idea how much we clean up!

National Forest campgrounds are just as bad.  I was on a GPAA claim last year in New Mexico and right next to the campground was a dry creek.  I thought "good place to get the detectors tuned up..." -- well, if tuned up to trash is the goal.  Every time there is a heavy rain the campground surface trash gets washed into the creek.  Actually this happens on private land around my home as well.

Recently(?) there's a new hobby for the garbage dispensers in our USA National Forests:  target practice.  Not sure what they are practicing for, drunken revelry contests?  I doubt it's for a worthwhile activity (i.e. legal hunting).  I experienced that at another GPAA claim on NF land near Idaho Springs, Colorado.  Besides the empty casings there were 'clay' targets for shotgun practice laying around.  I've got another thing they could practice -- picking up their f___ing trash!  Well, at least they don't make any noise to disturb those who go to the NF to enjoy nature.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

OK, sorry for the hijack.  I think you've said Lake Tahoe is too small for storm recirculation to play much of a role.  Glad you've got the latest tool -- one of the few advantages of being late to the party.

That’s not strictly true. Tahoe is large enough that is can get some decent surf. It’s just not as big nor often as the oceans, but I am sure it creates scour conditions that might be beneficial at times.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 12:18 PM, phrunt said:

I was wondering why nails would be on a beach in the first place.  While I'm not a regular beach hunter I've never found a nail on the beach.  Bottle caps and pull tabs are my typical enemies at the beach.  I guess countries with a lot more history than my own tend to gather up more junk over the years of habitation.  I'd be quite happy if I found nails off an old ship wreck though.

Even though I have found plenty of carpenter nails on the beach I think some people use the term to describe a lot of the other, rusty, nail-like pieces of metal that are more common than actual nails. 

user9890_pic64643_1424609733.jpg.d72c10787a94428f94e2009d19d83983.jpg

As to where all the trash comes from- that is a good question. Maybe people used to dump their trash in the ocean or buried it in the sand and it eventually disintegrated in the surf? Perhaps nails are from boats, crates and pallets?

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 12:24 PM, cuniagau said:

Pier tear outs and storm take downs, and pallets in the burn pits just to name a couple of sources. 

Just saw this response about the burn pits and it makes a lot of sense as the source of much of the trash.

If the regular public knew how many "sharps" were in the sand, they would never go barefooted there! Or let their dogs run around there!!  Some beaches near me have had bon fires for 60+ years! It's not as common anymore, but still happens! And that's not the worst of it! Broken glass, drug syringes, tent stakes....  and that's not counting the plastic stuff everwhere! I pick up the sharp stuff, and the dug items, but if i picked up everything i see, there would be no time to detect!! Sad but true!!👍👍

• Like 3