Fisher Impulse AQ And Nails?

7 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I was wondering why nails would be on a beach in the first place.  While I'm not a regular beach hunter I've never found a nail on the beach.  Bottle caps and pull tabs are my typical enemies at the beach.  I guess countries with a lot more history than my own tend to gather up more junk over the years of habitation.  I'd be quite happy if I found nails off an old ship wreck though.

Plenty of nails everywhere in the USA :rolleyes: The old shipwreck nails in my area are bronze I believe. Probably the 1700's and up. We can never totally get rid of nails, the best we can do is limit how many we pick up. Deep nails can be 15, 18, 24" etc deep. they sound very faint at that depth, just like a deep coin can.

• Like 2

Pallets in burn pits some how manage to make there way down to the wet sand. The beaches I hunt in South CA have plenty of nails.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Plenty of nails everywhere in the USA :rolleyes: The old shipwreck nails in my area are bronze I believe. Probably the 1700's and up. We can never totally get rid of nails, the best we can do is limit how many we pick up. Deep nails can be 15, 18, 24" etc deep. they sound very faint at that depth, just like a deep coin can.

You would never be able to discriminate out BRONZE nails. You will have to live with them!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Willy said:

You would never be able to discriminate out BRONZE nails. You will have to live with them!!

Oh No, I love those nails!! It's the other ones I hate :laugh: I've only found 3 bronze spikes at the beach.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I was wondering why nails would be on a beach in the first place.

You'd be amazed Simon. Nails? How about entire houses and hotels!? Where I hunted in Kauai, there have been direct hits by hurricanes. I am not exaggerating when I say entire buildings demolished, sucked into the surf, ground up, and spread about for decades. Concrete slabs, foundation blocks, rebar... well, all the heavy stuff mother nature could not wash away or corrode away. This is common in any area that has hurricanes - not to mention the ships sunk and ground up and washed ashore.

There were places I hit with mask and snorkel where the bottom was just a mix of sand, basalt hot rocks, concrete chunks, and reddish lumps of every size and shape of ferrous junk. The only good part is most smaller ferrous corrodes completely away in time, but the big stuff turns from metal to lumps of rust and sand/coral that a PI detector just loves.

pulse-inductionpmetal-detector-rusted-nails.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I was wondering why nails would be on a beach in the first place.  While I'm not a regular beach hunter I've never found a nail on the beach.  Bottle caps and pull tabs are my typical enemies at the beach.  I guess countries with a lot more history than my own tend to gather up more junk over the years of habitation.  I'd be quite happy if I found nails off an old ship wreck though.

Dude you won't imagine what you find on the beach...........

RR

3 hours ago, abenson said:

That test alone tells me clipped signals should probably be investigated or at least scrutinized more closely.

Yup. In other words, detecting as it has always been, with many very clear dig me signals, many very clear "do not dig" signals, and then a whole bunch of questionable signals. If you dig these most will be junk, but a few will be good targets.

Frankly, the AQ changes nothing for me as far as detecting except that areas I would not hunt because they were done, "cleaned out", I'd now hunt again with hopes of making more good finds. But they've already been hunted, supposedly to death, so a lot of good stuff has been extracted and much of the junk left behind. No matter how you look at it the situation is more like cleaning up leftovers, than turning hunted beaches into virgin territory.

3 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I was not real interested in the Disc side of the AQ (Just deep) but I did do a few test with crab pot pieces and the PVC pipe. I wanted to see the AQ would do in something I might encounter. I put one crab pot pieces down..around the PVC pipe..1 inch long. I tested before I put the ring in place and the AQ muted out. As I put the ring in place on the surface, I got a nice hit from the gold ring..as it went down the tube it hit the ring at two inch's but 3 inch's was fading....the odd is ...the crab pot piece muted when by itself but once the ring went from three inch's to four I got more pointed signal from the ring?.......Like it came to life with clipped signal. At 7 inch's that signal changed and at 17 when the ring was starting to fade I got a change in the audio of the crab pot piece like it was going to mute or was it muting already? ..So the ring does have a affect on...I just wish I had went deeper on the ring now that I seen the video...if it would have muted once the ring was out of range that would have told me it was getting the ring the whole time....

I think it will be something all of us will need to test, for my conditions are different then all others.

Makes sense to me. I think you are encountering the concentric rings of electromagnetic force lines which have weaker and stronger areas under the coil. It's these wrapping lines of energy that allows a large coil to have better wrap and and "see under" effect than a smaller coil in some cases. So I surmise that as you go deeper you are hitting areas where the field is weaker and stronger, causing the target to fade in and out.

garrett-coil-electromagnetic-field-diagram.jpg

• Like 1

Don't forget all the melted bon fire aluminum cans, that sound like silver! To me, that is worse than the pallet nails! And broken beer bottles, syringes, etc...   The public has no idea how much we clean up!👍👍

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yup. In other words, detecting as it has always been, with many very clear dig me signals, many very clear "do not dig" signals, and then a whole bunch of questionable signals. If you dig these most will be junk, but a few will be good targets.

Frankly, the AQ changes nothing for me as far as detecting except that areas I would not hunt because they were done, "cleaned out", I'd now hunt again with hopes of making more good finds. But they've already been hunted, supposedly to death, so a lot of good stuff has been extracted and much of the junk left behind. No matter how you look at it the situation is more like cleaning up leftovers, than turning hunted beaches into virgin territory.

Same for me. If other PI's have been hitting my favorite spots and have cleaned a lot of the iron out, I'm hoping the deeper gold will still be there and  more alone of a target. Fringe targets are where I think it will be for me.