Digital Impulse On The Way - Bipolar Technology?

On 6/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, mh9162013 said:

My "bid" is early 2023.

Heck, by then I hope we are seeing the digital version. Alexandre pulled out the stops on this one for what can be done with analog, and the only way to take it to the next level is some serious digital signal processing. What I can separate with my ears, a microprocessor and the right software should be able to do as well or better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Heck, by then I hope we are seeing the digital version. Alexandre pulled out the stops on this one for what can be done with analog, and the only way to take it to the next level is some serious digital signal processing. What I can separate with my ears, a microprocessor and the right software should be able to do as well or better.

That's what we're hoping the Cygnus will do.

1 hour ago, cudamark said:

That's what we're hoping the Cygnus will do.

To be a game changer, breakout player at this point in the technical evolution of this hobby Cygnus or any other detector newcomer needs to bring more to the table than just state of the art signal processing.  It needs to have a fundamentally different detection principle under the hood than either induction balance or pulse induction.  Simultaneous multifrequency (ML FBS+/Equinox Multi IQ/Garrett Apex Multiflex), multi channel ferrous cancellation PI (FT mpulse AQ), Zero Voltage Transmission (ML GPZ), and hybrid time/frequency domain processing (Tarsacci MDT) and the associated user interface improvements (visual and audible target ID and sophisticated junk discrimination) are all simply incremental and limited or niche, though welcome, improvements on a relatively crude and fully mature metal detection principle.  Cygnus needs to bring a fundamentally different detection principle to the table combined with state of the art tech, (e.g., a compact, rugged, affordable hybrid induction detection and signal processing/GPR imaging tool) to really make people sit up and take notice.  Otherwise, we are just ordering a different brand of ice cream.  I sincerely hope Doc is working on a completely different dessert than ice cream because the hobby has plenty of ice cream brands right now and just lost one.

BTW this in no way means that I think established MD manufacturers shouldn't continue to innovate with products like the Impulse, Apex, Equinox, GPZ, MDT, and Simplex (full featured affordability).  Keep 'em coming.  I'm just saying to make a splash and significantly change the game, a newcomer is going to have to really break some new ground (pun intended).

I now return this thread to the regularly scheduled program, Impulse AQ, already in progress.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

To be a game changer, breakout player at this point in the technical evolution of this hobby Cygnus needs to bring more to the table than just state of the art signal processing.  It needs to have a fundamentally different detection principle under the hood than either induction balance or pulse induction.  Simultaneous multifrequency (ML FBS+/Equinox Multi IQ/Garrett , multi channel ferrous cancellation PI (Impulse AQ), Zero Voltage Transmission (ML GPZ), and hybrid time/frequency domain processing (MDT) and the associated user interface improvements (visual and audible target ID and sophisticated junk discrimination) are all simply incremental and limited or niche, though welcome, improvements on a relatively crude and fully mature metal detection principle.  Cygnus needs to bring a fundamentally different detection principle to the table combined with state of the art tech, (e.g., a compact, rugged, affordable hybrid induction detection and signal processing/GPR imaging tool) to really make people sit up and take notice.  Otherwise, we are just ordering a different flavor of the same brand of ice cream.  I sincerely hope Doc is working on a completely different dessert than ice cream.

I now return this thread to the regularly scheduled program, Impulse AQ, already in progress.

I am agree with Chase Goldman.

The impulse series (gold and AQ) has already 4 versions developed and tested but which remains to be industrialized.

There are bipolar among these versions but there are also new technologies with new fundamental physics principles.

Le-Jag already tested one of these new versions 3 years ago.
Since then he claims the detector regularly ....

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

There are bipolar among these versions but there are also new technologies with new fundamental physics principles.

That is exciting news Alexandre!  I am looking forward to taking an Impulse in any iteration (this first release, if I am so lucky or a future version) through its paces.