Great finds!! That wheat and the Canadian are in good condition. The quarter is nice to have, but it looks shabby. What did you clean the wheat penny with?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TreasureHunter5 said:

What did you clean the wheat penny with?

Just a little water and baking soda with my fingers.

Is the Canadian coin silver or steel? I found a few steel quarters that were Canadian and on that was silver and much older. Not sure what year they started to use steeL A magnet is the easiest way to check.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kac said:

Is the Canadian coin silver or steel? I found a few steel quarters that were Canadian and on that was silver and much older. Not sure what year they started to use steeL A magnet is the easiest way to check.

I'll check. I figured since it came out of the ground shiny without any corrosion, it was silver, but I will grab a magnet and see.

12 minutes ago, kac said:

Nope, not magnetic in the slightest.

• Like 2

Nice. My last silver looking Canadian quarter got me all excited until it stuck to a magnet on my bench LOL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kac said:

Is the Canadian coin silver or steel?

1 hour ago, Bash said:

I'll check. I figured since it came out of the ground shiny without any corrosion, it was silver, but I will grab a magnet and see.

56 minutes ago, Bash said:

Nope, not magnetic in the slightest.

I don't think a magnet answers the question.  Wasn't there a period from mid-60's until ? during which Canadian higher denomination coins were (non-magnetic) nickel alloy?  When in doubt, the dates help.  If I read it correctly, yours is 1955.  Good news!  

My recollection is that Canada jetisoned the use of silver very close to the same time (maybe exactly the same time) as the USA -- 1965 being the first mintage year of base metal coinage for 10 cents and up here.

The Canadian 5 cent pieces have an even more checkered history, I think.  Besides that weird polygon shape (nine sides = nonogon?) I seem to recall some odd alloys thrown in there early on.  Might have been the WWII years.

Where are the Canadian coin metal detecting experts when we need them?  Speak up!

• Like 1

Top 2 coins stick to a magnet, one on right is steel as I checked by the date, other is either steel or pure nickel (nickel alloys won't stick to magnets). Bottom ones are silver. You can tell by the color difference if the coins not too beat up.

IMG_1151.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

When in doubt, the dates help.  If I read it correctly, yours is 1955.  Good news!  

Yep! It's a 55.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kaolin washer
      I have been digging a 1930,s out house and before i left for the day i scanned my sniper coil thru the dirt i had trown out , finding sevral shot shells and then what i thought was a token , and this is just on top of the pile well i got it home and cleaned off the dirt , It is an 1899 V nickle , and i suppose when the out house user pulled down his pants this coin fell out , Now I am asking myself , How many other coins have fallen out ? so my plan is to take a board and put a few scoops on the board , spread it out , have a magnet handy and scan the whole pile going back in  I bet it has more coins

• By GhostLands
      Copy/paste from my Facebook group post.
      Took my GPX 5000 for a walk today! 5 Roman coins, 1 coin dated 1874, 1 Hammered coin from the 16th Century, 1 half of a buckle (D shape) 15 - 16th Century if I'm correct, 1 big D Buckle from the 14th Century if im correct, 1 round copper objet that appears to be related to a lock (14 - 16th Century if I'm correct) and a little 🐕! Looks like silver but I'm not sure. Another hot day (34°C). These were all very deep targets! The round thingy was at +-50cm! (Really hard soil) The landowner's son saw that i was pulling these from crazy depths, so i told him to bring a backhoe someday... He likes the idea!😎 Can't wait to see what we going to find there!😁 Once again proving the GPX 5000 is a must have for coins and relics! (Something that Gordon Heritage has been doing for ages)😎 Now a little tip for all the coin ans relic hunters around the globe: Instead of buying lot's of machines, just save some cash to get one of these beasts! Just in case you don't know yet, this machine will see trough them Iron Slags or any other mineralization like if "they" weren't there! Roman areas and Medieval areas for example. I'm out!😊 Be lucky!😄 Cheers😁

• By Sandheron
      Adds iron volume and some other stuff. https://www.minelab.com/usa/vanquish-software-update-1
      VANQUISH 540 Iron Volume Control
      Detecting in heavy iron trash is enhanced with the new Iron Volume Control feature. 10-step adjustments let you decrease the volume of iron all the way down to a whisper, while leaving desirable targets (non-ferrous) loud and clear. To engage Iron Volume Control, simply hold down the All Metal button, while simultaneously using the Volume buttons to adjust to your liking.
      General Improvements for All VANQUISH Models
      The upgrade also includes improved battery handling capability for all models, as well as a new low battery alert.

• By RobNC
      My usual places are being eliminated one by one. Most of my places are public in nature. One of my favorite places I tried to hunt today and there was a police car sitting there. A bad sign.
      So I pulled around the back like normal and notice everything locked up and new cameras installed... So he comes back there and I speak to him. I told him we had been metal detecting that place over a year and now notice it locked up. As he put it, "fighting and stuff".  In other words either drug related, gang related, or general hoodlum behavior. This has happened a lot to me lately, good places being off limits now for nothing I've done.
      I went to another place where a known idiot has been that likes to dig craters. I had hoped he would have moved on by now but no. Instead it looks like a mine field now over the entire area. That moron has dug so many holes it is unreal. Always the same, dirt left on the ground and a non packed remnant of the plug in the hole. That was enough for me today and another place permanently marked off my list.
      I'm starting to get frustrated more and more and today I even told my wife "Between the hoodlums and idiots messing things up, I may as well just sell all my equipment and give this hobby up."  Anybody else feeling this way? I enjoy metal detecting but here lately it's peeved me off about how other people's behavior can impact my hunting grounds..
    • By dogodog
      I decided to avoid heat stroke today by hunting at 6am. Went to an old farm pond close to a 1840's house. The old pond was a swimming hole for the owners back in the day. I was finding the usual farm debris when I got a really great hit. To my suprise out popped a 1945 Merc, but that wasn't all, four wheaties were keeping it company. I haven't found a merc in quite awhile and was wondering if I would ever find another. Two seconds after I filled that hole, I hit on a buffalo nickle. A little later I collected two more wheaties and three plain lincolns, a shotgun case, a giant 3 1/2'' brass ring and an unknown brass valve thingamajig. Any clues let me know, It has the word MAJOCA on the side. Overall I'm rating this as a damn good morning!!! 

• By Steve Herschbach
      “According to Miller, the country isn’t running out of money, there are just more coins “sitting in pots at home,” instead of circulating through the economy.“

https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor/2020/07/20/is-there-really-a-coin-shortage/#3a28fe2df0a3