After A Long Drought, Some Silver Today!

21 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I don't think a magnet answers the question.  Wasn't there a period from mid-60's until ? during which Canadian higher denomination coins were (non-magnetic) nickel alloy?

This webpage helps answer, and it looks like instead of the USA nickel alloy composition (25% Ni, 75% Cu) the Canadian mint used nearly pure nickel from 1968-1999 for dimes, quarters, and halves.  Pure nickel is ferromagnetic so presumably these are attracted to a magnet also, besides those minted 2000 and onward which are primarily steel (boo!).

I may have found some Canadian dimes in those 99.9% nickel composition years -- I'll see if I can find them and check with a magnet.  Or maybe one of you would...

Update:  just checked a 1975 Canadian dime with a magnet.  Yep, they attract!  So although that won't tell you if it's iron (2000-present) or nickel (1968-1999),  it should in most cases (I don't think 1982-1999 5 cent pieces which were same alloy as US 5 cent pieces) tell silver from non-silver.  All the valuable stuff I learn here everyday....

• Like 3

Pure nickel or near pure nickel will stick to a magnet like the tiny denmark coin which is probably similar to the transitional Canadian coins. Odd how once alloyed,  nickels turn to trash in the ground.

• Like 1