I Need Your Input

Hey gang,

How many of you have old or extra lower rod to an SD/GP/GPX Excalibur, Sovereign laying around?

The reason I ask is because I am getting a lot of interest in the SAGA™ from overseas, especially AUSTRALIA.  however, the big bug-a-boo, is the cost of shipping.

Because the package is over 24 inches long the postal service charges an enormous surcharge.  Shipping for one SAGA rod is literally $66.  I about choked.

Now it just so happens, I was thinking ahead on this issue, and I made the SAGA so it would also use a spare fiberglass rod from an SD/GP/GPX Excalibur Sovereign etc.  It fits perfectly.  If an international customer could supply their own rod, I could just send a parts bag including a 1 ounce tube of Silicone sealant to glue the handle on and shipping would only be $32. USD.  And get this, if a customer ordered two parts packages, the shipping would still only be $32 shipping for two packages.  So if you had a mate that wanted a SAGA, you could share the cost of shipping.

The only thing the customer would have to do is cut off the head of the rod they have where it attaches to the coil.  The other end has the adjustment button which on most if not all Minelab lower rods is metal.  That's not good because that adjustment button end is the part that goes into the SAGA pivot joint close to the coil.  However, I would just include a plastic button to replace the Minelab metal button.

So bottom line is I wonder how many people have those extra lower rods laying around or how readily available they are and if offering that option of the parts bag would be more attractive for an international customers than paying $66 for shipping?  I know I wouldn't pay $66 USD for shipping.

Actually the same goes for U.S. it cuts shipping from around $12 on a package going to New York to about $6, by eliminating the rod.  It only makes sense if you have an extra rod laying around, if you have to buy a rod especially for that reason Minelab charges $42 for a lower fiberglass rod.

Really interested in hearing from forum members in Australia.

Doc

I have not had any issues with product making it to Australia, but it is extremely slow.

Apparently because the post office can not find flights to Australia to piggy back on.  Australia is not allowing any citizens other than it's own to enter Australia, (a wise choice in my opinion) there just are not that many flights going to Australia.

This virus has caused all kinds of issues.  I personally look to be out around $4000 USD, because Minelab canceled their dealer conference for which I had flights, I obviously can not go even if I wanted to because no U.S. citizens are allowed.  And now Virgin Australia has filed for bankruptcy.

Your package will get there now that it has left the U.S.  They have been doing the same thing to every package.  They fly it all over God's green earth trying to find a flight that will actually make the journey.

You have the additional problem that it is being sent from the east coast which has been hit particularly hard with this virus.  So everything is really backed up.

Doc

• Like 2

Hi Doc,

I actually ordered two of your Saga swing arm assemblies from you yesterday and yes the freight was expensive...so I ordered two LOL.  The stock GPZ swing arm pivot is prone to breaking and not much cheaper than your whole assembly.  And very inconvenient when it fails when you are out bush.  I'll let you know how it goes on my 5000 as well.

Kind regards,

Frank

Thank you Frank, yes it's off and on the way.  Your order was the one I was looking at that got me to thinking.  It just so happens that the shipping was way off and you saved about 20 USD, as the shopping cart did not figure in the dimensional problems with it being over 24 inches and it didn't charge enough for shipping.  But that's OK.  Happy to get someone over in Australia to give them a go.

Take care!

Doc

• Like 2

On 7/2/2020 at 12:45 PM, Doc said:

Thank you Frank, yes it's off and on the way.  Your order was the one I was looking at that got me to thinking.  It just so happens that the shipping was way off and you saved about 20 USD, as the shopping cart did not figure in the dimensional problems with it being over 24 inches and it didn't charge enough for shipping.  But that's OK.  Happy to get someone over in Australia to give them a go.

Take care!

Doc

Hi Doc,

Package arrived this morning.  7 days from when you posted.....not bad.  They look good.  Won't get a chance to try them for real for a couple of weeks but will have a install and play this weekend.  Thanks Heaps!

Doc,

Can you get a dealer in australia to carry your product? Ship a whole bunch at once to save on shipping?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DolanDave said:

Doc,

Can you get a dealer in australia to carry your product? Ship a whole bunch at once to save on shipping?

Dave, Jonathan Porter usually handles my products in Australia, and I have 2 boxes of merchandise ready to ship to him.  But he has not been answering emails for like 2 weeks.

He may be out in the bush.

Doc

• Like 1

21 hours ago, echidna said:

Hi Doc,

Package arrived this morning.  7 days from when you posted.....not bad.  They look good.  Won't get a chance to try them for real for a couple of weeks but will have a install and play this weekend.  Thanks Heaps!

Wow, that's great, that is almost back to normal delivery.  Used to take 7 to 10 days then it went all the way to 30 days.

Doc

• Like 1