9bb74301-0733-4be5-be25-8ac97e41a44c.jpg

Click on the button below and discover the features and innovation!
XP Metal Detectors are launching a brand-new range of Gold Prospecting products.Take your Gold hunting to another level with our new range of XP Pans / Classifiers / Batea / Accessories. The XP Gold prospecting kit will be the perfect addition to your XP ORX high frequency metal detector – The ORX has proven to be one of the most efficient Gold detectors available on today’s market, offering performance and value for money. The XP Gold Pans, Classifiers, Batea and accessories offer the same outstanding quality found in all XP products. To get the BEST results you need to use the BEST kit !

XP Metal Detectors have worked alongside some of the industries most respected gold prospecting professionals, they have helped design and develop our Gold Panning kits, to ensure you have the very best equipment in your hands.

Includes the first 21st century batea!

largediametre2.jpg

xp-gold-panning-kits.jpg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

I had to chuckle when I saw the advertising details page. Yes, amazing new concept! The Batea at least is something really different you do not see often.

XP 2020:

308AFBBA-D875-48A1-BC79-9E4BC0C04B67.jpeg

Minelab 2016:

C1C01C55-737F-4863-ABDD-6851DCBF5F1D.jpeg

Not that Minelab was first to do a blue three stage pan either. They were not. Keene was selling these even earlier. But the XP ad sure looks similar to the Minelab ad, right down to the color wheel.

58B38D05-D0CB-4CED-B098-3AF8E6A7636D.jpeg

• Like 3

Steve I think I will stay with my Keene pans, I know them well and they are in great shape.

Nice article on this product and they are really trying to make it sound like all the others are junk.

I got a chuckle out of this detail from the ad Steve linked to:

1203488985_Screenshotat2020-07-03090659.thumb.png.c912186e06b7b6ba44d1f34dba704b66.pngWell, they got it half right -- purple is opposite yellow on the color wheel.  But why isn't the pan purple?

As many know (except maybe XP's upcoming customers...) naturally occurring gold comes in various alloys and thus colors.  I actually have a purple pan (also green, red, and blue).  There are a lot of black pans around, but for me, I get some confidence in seeing black sand peeking out as I get down to the later steps.  For those who are so experienced they can pan blindfolded, I guess being able to easily see the black sand doesn't matter.

I do like the looks of the "snake skin texture" but as to whether it actually is an improvement over the more conventional surfaces...  Just saying so doesn't make it true.  Of course I don't know, but do they?  It's amazing how many new ideas (gimmicks?) for just gold pans pop up.  "I have a clever idea, and I'm smart, so it must be revolutionary!"

One last nitpick.  Take a look at the batea photo above in Steve's initial post.  See the beading of water on the surface?  The first thing you're supposed to do (and most of the plastic gold pans come with instructions on this) is to clean the surface to get rid of the injection mold release agent.  (They could do this at the factory but I guess that's a cost they don't want to pass on....)  If you don't, it adds surface tension to the water and the tiny gold will float and be carried away as you pan.  So they're showing us a veteran gold panner using this batea and they haven't bothered to properly clean it first.

We can be a tough crowd here at detectorprospector.com, especially to the marketers.

• 3 weeks later...

I can easily process a 5 gallon bucket and maybe most of a second one too and do a finish panning down to a teaspoon full of material in the time it took to use that Batea. I use a Goldhog Flowpan for a production pan. 

My back really hurt just watching that video. 
Jeff

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I can easily process a 5 gallon bucket....

(I realize the Flowpan is a special device for speed processing coarse material.  This question doesn't pertain to it.)

Mike Pung (of Gold Cube) talks about the value of a recessed bottom on a gold pan.  What do you experienced panners think about that?  (Jeff, do you know Mike and/or Red Wilcox?  I recall seeing videos of them in that Clear Creek park where non-mechanized placer gold recovery is allowed.  I think Red is from Colorado and Mike from Oklahoma.)

For extremely fine gold a recessed bottom is okay. If a person really learns how to pan concentrates, knows how to use a magnet, gravity, the power of a bit of water  during the final heavies and gold separation, any decent gold pan will do just fine in my opinion. The newer model Flowpan has an added trap in the bottom. I’m very happy with the original one personally. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 8:05 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Mike Pung (of Gold Cube) talks about the value of a recessed bottom on a gold pan.  What do you experienced panners think about that?

They are fine for general panning, but I’d switch to a cleanup pan if I used one for working cons. I don’t like a recessed bottom in a pan for working cons. It interferes with my transitioning to sidewall / final cleanup panning. If I need a trap in a pan, I prefer a riffle that can be rotated out of the way. So in general I just prefer a pan that does not have a drop bottom at all, since it really does nothing to help my panning, and can impede it.

I actually like the look of the XP pans, and was more making fun of the copycat advertising.

• Like 1