This is from the lumbering days in Michigan. It would be hammered into the end of a log and logs were floated in lakes and rivers. This one must have broke when they were hammering on it. I was in Pickerel Lake detecting. http://mauriceeby.org/My_Books_files/Great Lumbering Era 4.pdf

When I was a kid this was a boys camp. Now it's a county camp ground. I was detecting in the water where the beach is. That's a native Brook trout stream running thru it.

n

camp-petosega 2.jpg

Relic 1.jpg

• Like 3

I'll have to watch for those here in Oregon.  We are also on a major river (Siuslaw) that was also used for floating logs to port.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

I have another one that's whole that I found in the same area.

This is the other from the same area. It's bigger.

Relic 2.jpg

• Like 3

That is a nice find.I  would find big hooks that they used when they  cut ice blocks to ship for preserving food in one lake.

Great piece of history you found, good job and happy hunting.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TreasureHunter5
      I thought I would share this. A few years ago, my family and I went of a trip to Germany for a week in the summer. My grand parents meet some German folks when they went and we meet up with them when we went. They own a dice of land where a lot of ww2 relics were found before. I took me metal detector and was able to talk them into letting me hunt it. I found a few other things, but this is probably the most interesting one. It is a original ww2 German helmet! I am very happy to have found it. It is in pretty good shape for being so old. Let me know what you think!

• By normmcq
      I got this one in an old yard, with my CTX.   The owners are natives of the community and didn't have a clue as to who Barby was.
                                                                                                                                             Norm

• By Glenn in CO
      A few finds from a recent detecting trip to a Colorado ghost town/mining camp. Found a token, brooch with a stone, numbered tag, ring, thimble, brass lock, crucible, marbles, buttons and the regular ghost town finds, some you can identify, others still trying to figure what they are. Some of the items the ground was not to kind to.

The Joseph Golob "Good For a 5 Cent Drink" token was one of the items that didn't fair to well in the ground. According to the Leadville City Business Directory, Golob had a saloon in 1889-1892 and in 1895 at 101 Harrison Street. The last information I could find on another token like this was on ebay and sold for $72.50, but it was in a lot nicer shape.

The item I found interesting was a assay crucible that was manufactured in England. It was manufactured by the Morgan Crucible Company in Battersea, England. I also believe I found a lead button that was from assaying not far from where I found the crucible.

• By calabash digger
      Me and Buddy Flagman went to a site that I had land hunted and decided to get in the water. It was a blast and found a few good relics...

• By calabash digger
      Went out with my buddy Flagman and we pulled a few good ones....