When Does A Cheap Ring Make You Feel Good?

A couple of night ago I did a beach session hoping to take advantage of a bit of surf and wind waves I had seen in the afternoon.  In that afternoon session I couldn't find any surf/wet targets but I did find one silver band in dry sand using Park 1.  I thought there would be some low tide waves so I went back out from 1-3 AM.  I walked about a mile before I found my first penny and then I got to my spot where the wave energy had been concentrated.  I picked up a few coins and junk and headed back to where I started.  I stopped to look at my settings and noticed that I had tracking off and I turned it on in Beach 1/23/50/6/0F2.  I went about 20 feet and I got a 20 target number.  That is a number I skip sometimes when I am 'saving' myself from making too many holes.

To my surprise there was a ring in my scoop and in my light it looked pretty good!

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.45369388193ad080a1e8995a46dae667.JPGIMG_0312.thumb.JPG.a60a465eda4bdf1d28424a02afe0b64d.JPG

It looked like a ruby and diamonds but it was a 20!  What gives with that?

Here are the other items I found on the hunt.

IMG_0310.thumb.JPG.7fc2b5adfff8652b2f0319cb80098e03.JPG

This was the same beach I couldn't find much just a couple of days before and when I gridded it I had been skipping some of the 20 signals because those are all pennies, right?  Now I had just found this ring and it felt good but I didn't have my glasses.  How many rings did I skip by not digging all of my 20s?

When I got home I checked the ring.  Cheap and not gold.  Nice looking and I was disappointed but then I realized that the decision to skip many of the 20s (pennies) was a good choice so I could dig a quarter.  One quarter equals 25 penny holes.  The cheap ring made me feel 'good' if you get what I'm saying.

This afternoon I went to a different beach and it is also normally a producer but not now.  Near the end I finally got a 'round sound' at 10.  This makes me anticipate.  It was a ring but a black, stainless steel ring.  Not valuable either.  Wave intervals are over 15 so I don't expect much up and I'll have to spend more time wading and get lucky for the old stuff as few swimmers are around for new drops.

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.49a13836b9a12bd3d8259e37f2b70ab6.JPGIMG_0314.thumb.JPG.5eb6a219f61a99b2f062e75d3aa4ea10.JPG

It is always a learning experience to get out.

Mitchel

• Like 9

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

A couple of night ago I did a beach session hoping to take advantage of a bit of surf and wind waves I had seen in the afternoon.  In that afternoon session I couldn't find any surf/wet targets but I did find one silver band in dry sand using Park 1.  I thought there would be some low tide waves so I went back out from 1-3 AM.  I walked about a mile before I found my first penny and then I got to my spot where the wave energy had been concentrated.  I picked up a few coins and junk and headed back to where I started.  I stopped to look at my settings and noticed that I had tracking off and I turned it on in Beach 1/23/50/6/0F2.  I went about 20 feet and I got a 20 target number.  That is a number I skip sometimes when I am 'saving' myself from making too many holes.

To my surprise there was a ring in my scoop and in my light it looked pretty good!

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.45369388193ad080a1e8995a46dae667.JPGIMG_0312.thumb.JPG.a60a465eda4bdf1d28424a02afe0b64d.JPG

It looked like a ruby and diamonds but it was a 20!  What gives with that?

Here are the other items I found on the hunt.

IMG_0310.thumb.JPG.7fc2b5adfff8652b2f0319cb80098e03.JPG

This was the same beach I couldn't find much just a couple of days before and when I gridded it I had been skipping some of the 20 signals because those are all pennies, right?  Now I had just found this ring and it felt good but I didn't have my glasses.  How many rings did I skip by not digging all of my 20s?

When I got home I checked the ring.  Cheap and not gold.  Nice looking and I was disappointed but then I realized that the decision to skip many of the 20s (pennies) was a good choice so I could dig a quarter.  One quarter equals 25 penny holes.  The cheap ring made me feel 'good' if you get what I'm saying.

This afternoon I went to a different beach and it is also normally a producer but not now.  Near the end I finally got a 'round sound' at 10.  This makes me anticipate.  It was a ring but a black, stainless steel ring.  Not valuable either.  Wave intervals are over 15 so I don't expect much up and I'll have to spend more time wading and get lucky for the old stuff as few swimmers are around for new drops.

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.49a13836b9a12bd3d8259e37f2b70ab6.JPGIMG_0314.thumb.JPG.5eb6a219f61a99b2f062e75d3aa4ea10.JPG

It is always a learning experience to get out.

Mitchel

Mitchel, 2 of my nicer rings this year were from the same hunt and both rang up "19-20" on the Nox. Yes, most targets in that range are zinc pennies but now I get excited when I see those TID numbers. BTW-both are 14K and about size 10.

mnb.jpg

• Like 6

Now that makes me feel 'bad' all over again!  Can I ever skip a penny and not wonder?  haha  My wife says she will never skip one.

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Now that makes me feel 'bad' all over again!  Can I ever skip a penny and not wonder?  haha  My wife says she will never skip one.

Sorry Mitchel, I don't want you to feel bad but I don't want you to miss out on any big gold rings either. I hate zinc pennies but I agree with your wife on this. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Nice hunt. I don't find that much stuff at my lakes and beaches in northern MI.

I have all my junk jewelry on small ledge at a window in my kitchen. The other day I looked at them and I took one off only to find out it was gold. I guess I didn't check it well.

• Like 1